What's new

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (1 Viewer)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Ok this is great news, Mannix season 1 must have sold suprising well for CBS to kick a full S2 set so soon. Very cool news it a must buy for me.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Am I the only one disappointed with the cover art for Season Two? I realize there's time for it to change, but yikes! Is Mannix just wearing socks in that picture? ;)
Guess I can't complain too much, though...this is a rare Paramount/CBS series getting full season releases. I may Netflix this season - I love Season One, but I don't know how I'll enjoy the new dynamic without Joseph Campanella. The interplay between Campanella and Connors is fantastic, and I really dig the hard-boiled PI in a computer-driven world vibe of the season.

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
jamoon2006 said:
Am I the only one disappointed with the cover art for Season Two? I realize there's time for it to change, but yikes! Is Mannix just wearing socks in that picture? ;)
Whew! You had me scared there for a moment! Thankfully, he's also wearing a shirt, slacks, and a jacket
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
GeorgeJA said:
Whew! You had me scared there for a moment! Thankfully, he's also wearing a shirt, slacks, and a jacket
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Yikes, thanks! Everybody can agree that would be too much Mannix! :D

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A new news article was posted on TVShowsOnDVD yesterday about Mannix's second season DVD set. Revised front cover artwork was the subject of the new news article. It looks much better. More in the style of the Season 1 front cover artwork.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Yeah I like the new cover too, it shows peggy and show Mannix holding a colt revolver as apposed to the Walther PP he used in season one. So I like the change too.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
This is definitely better cover art. Damn shame the format had to change. Campanella was brilliant in S1. Still, this is on my short list.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I've read this on here a couple of times, about the change in Mannix's format and it seems like the show wasn't as good. I have not watched the Season 1 DVDs yet. I've only read about Mannix, tested the Season 1 discs out and watched a Mannix title and end credits sequence on YouTube. After Season 1 he worked for himself. That lasted seven seasons so something must have worked. Did the show not look as good (less on location scenes?)? Was it not as detailed and it became more empty of character?
In the Complete Mission: Impossible Dossier book it says in the section for the Season 5 premiere "The Killer" that guest star Robert Conrad previously appeared in an episode of Mannix as someone who was in the movie business. I'll check this out on the IMDb but it will be an episode from any of the first three seasons as Season 5 of Mission: Impossible was shown during the 1970-71 US TV season and Mannix started during the 1967-68 US TV season.
Will there be any edits to episodes in the Season 2 boxset and were there any edits to episodes in the Season 1 set (I think I read here that as the first season isn't shown much in syndication the episodes weren't edited, yet there's the usual CBS/Paramount episode edits warning on the back of the Season 1 set. I think I also read here that Seasons 2-8 have been shown more in syndication)?
Will there be six or seven discs in the Season 2 boxset, being as there are 25 episodes this time?
I'm hoping the quantity and quality of the extras will be the same on the Season 2 set. Hoping Mike Connors will record episode intros. They're a neat extra on the Season 1 set. The following I assume will be the list of episodes on each of the seven discs (a guess) in the Season 2 boxset:
Disc 1:
1. The Silent Cry
2. Comes Up Roses
3. Pressure Point
4. To the Swiftest, Death
Disc 2:
5. End of the Rainbow
6. A Copy of Murder
7. Edge of the Knife
8. Who Will Dig the Graves?
Disc 3:
9. In Need of a Friend
10. Night Out of Time
11. A View of Nowhere
12. Fear I to Fall
Disc 4:
13. Death Run
14. A Pittance of Faith
15. Only Giants Can Play
16. Shadow of a Man
Disc 5:
17. The Girl Who Came in with the Tide
18. Death in a Minor Key
19. End Game
Disc 6:
20. All Around the Money Tree
21. The Odds Against Donald Jordan
22. Last Rites for Miss Emma
Disc 7:
23. The Solid Gold Web
24. Merry Go Round for Murder
25. To Catch a Rabbit.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hmmmm no mannix season two is different but not in a bad way. Belive it or not s1 ratings were not the greatest and mannix was almost canceled after s1. Cbs though by making a mannix a more tradition stand alone PI it would improve the ratings and give them more stories to tell than if if he was a corperate PI? Thats the long standing story told by cbs , the producers and mike conners himself for the formate change. Honestly I like both formates although I do agree its a bummer not to have the regular appreances of Joe Campnella after s1.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Which were the standout episodes from the second season of Mannix and were there many changes to the main cast title sequence (apart from the addition of Peggy Fisher)?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Definitely something to be concerned about if one is a big MANNIX fan. I just hope we don't get the wholesale changes like we did with THE FUGITIVE and MY THREE SONS (two "holy grail" shows for me). I guess it's possible they are talking about some specific song/songs used in an episode or two. Who knows at this point...

Gary "what is it with nice, jazz-like themes and CBS/Paramount?" O.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Given that that's the exact same language (and font size and location) used on My Three Sons S1V1, this does not give me a good feeling. :frowning:

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Well I was not planning on pre ordering this set or really any classic tv set these days until it professionally reviewed. If there the whole sale sodomy of the sound track of the set like fugitive s1 v2 I'll pass on it . If its a song here and threre is changed and vast majority of Lalo schfrins score remain I will buy it off best buy online and instore pickup (did that for five-0 s5). Im holding off for the reviews before I buy mannix s2.:confused:

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I'm hoping this is just one of those CYA notices that CBS/Paramount puts on their TV-on-DVD releases. It really would be strange considering that in addition to the original theme and background music, the season 1 release also contained unaltered music performances from Neil Diamond and The Buffalo Springfield. On the other hand, CBS/Paramount could be pulling another "Fugitive" on us with this season 2 release. We'll just have to wait and see.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Bob Hug said:
I'm hoping this is just one of those CYA notices that CBS/Paramount puts on their TV-on-DVD releases. It really would be strange considering that in addition to the original theme and background music, the season 1 release also contained unaltered music performances from Neil Diamond and The Buffalo Springfield. On the other hand, CBS/Paramount could be pulling another "Fugitive" on us with this season 2 release. We'll just have to wait and see.
As I read elsewhere, there's a big difference between this and The Fugitive - Mannix never used any library music at all - so they own the music outright, unless, as others have posited, it's about a song replacement where they couldn't clear the publishing.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
BillyFeldman said:
As I read elsewhere, there's a big difference between this and The Fugitive - Mannix never used any library music at all - so they own the music outright, unless, as others have posited, it's about a song replacement where they couldn't clear the publishing.
Let's hope this is the case!

BobSchneider

Second Unit
BillyFeldman said:
Which I think was the case with hawaii five-0 too, but I'm still going to wait for the reviews to be on the safe side , most of the time you really dont miss much of price break with the best buy instore pickup the week of release, just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks