What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Mannix is Coming! (All things Mannix w/spoilers) (2 Viewers)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Does anybody know the title of an episode where Mannix gets in a fight in a amusement park and gets knocked into to one of those spinning barrel type rides that spins so fast that the bottom drops out and you don't fall? I never forgot that scene, for some reason, since it seemed like such a nightmare thing to happen.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

exliontamer

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I picked up the season two set yesterday and watched a few episodes last night. I was surprised by how much I missed Intertect and Lew Wickersham -- they provided Joe and his instinctive, sometimes shabby detecting methods with a soulless, high-tech counterpoint. The tension this generated, despite the tiresome shots of giant punch-card computers grinding away and Joe and Lew's shrill arguments, seems essential now that it's gone.

I watched later seasons of this show during its original broadcast when I was a kid, but don't remember it well. Does Peggy eventually get more airtime? She's barely involved in the second-season episodes I've watched so far, and I'm really hoping she eventually steps in to fill Lew's shoes to some degree. (The dirty look she shot Joe when he was interrogating Jody in "The Silent Cry" was promising.) Gail Fisher is a smart, interesting actress -- I want to see more of her.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
exliontamer said:
Does Peggy eventually get more airtime? She's barely involved in the second-season episodes I've watched so far,...
As I recall, the Peggy character was fairly minor in the early going. Basically she just served to give Mannix someone to sound off to every now and again.
Later on, in subsequent seasons, the character was explored more as the producers realized her value. We meet her son, etc., and have stories set around her.
Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
Later on, in subsequent seasons, the character was explored more as the producers realized her value. We meet her son, etc., and have stories set around her. Harry
Harry's right. I don't remember the season that we first see "Toby" (Peggy's son in the show). I think that's the right name. How am I doing, Harry? Didn't "IMDB" or "google" for it. Didn't even sneak into the Time Tunnel complex for a trip back to '67 either :D

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Jeff Willis said:
Harry's right. I don't remember the season that we first see "Toby" (Peggy's son in the show). I think that's the right name. How am I doing, Harry? Didn't "IMDB" or "google" for it. Didn't even sneak into the Time Tunnel complex for a trip back to '67 either :D
Her son is actually in a season two episode called "Merry-Go Round For Murder". He might be in a lot more because I have only watched one episode and he was in it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm not looking this stuff up either, and haven't gotten around to getting season 2 yet.
I'm just going on the fuzzy, dim memories of my youth. The name "Toby" sounds right, and if I recall correctly, at some point we delve into Peggy's past. Wasn't she married to a policeman, shot in the line of duty?
Harry

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
chas speed said:
Does anybody know the title of an episode where Mannix gets in a fight in a amusement park and gets knocked into to one of those spinning barrel type rides that spins so fast that the bottom drops out and you don't fall? I never forgot that scene, for some reason, since it seemed like such a nightmare thing to happen.
Could be season 3's "Once Upon a Saturday."

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Dan McW said:
Could be season 3's "Once Upon a Saturday."
I just looked through an episode guide and that was my guess too. Hopefully they will release Season Three and we'll find out soon.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Anyone looking to pick up season 2 at a brick & mortar ought to check out Target. My local store is currently offering it for $29.99. You can do better online, but it's a relatively good price if you want it right away with no waiting.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Bob Hug said:
Anyone looking to pick up season 2 at a brick & mortar ought to check out Target. My local store is currently offering it for $29.99. You can do better online, but it's a relatively good price if you want it right away with no waiting.
Hmmm my local target here in So Cal didnot carry mannix s2. I went with best buy online with a instore pick up and a 25.00 gift christmas gift card.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
But yesd 29.99 is a good price, better than most online who had it for 34.95 all the uo o 49.99.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Received my copy of S2 in the post in the week. Picture quality is as good as Season 1. I'm disappointed though that CBS/Paramount couldn't have got Mike Connors to do episode intros for the second season.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
exliontamer said:
I picked up the season two set yesterday and watched a few episodes last night. I was surprised by how much I missed Intertect and Lew Wickersham -- they provided Joe and his instinctive, sometimes shabby detecting methods with a soulless, high-tech counterpoint. The tension this generated, despite the tiresome shots of giant punch-card computers grinding away and Joe and Lew's shrill arguments, seems essential now that it's gone.
I watched later seasons of this show during its original broadcast when I was a kid, but don't remember it well. Does Peggy eventually get more airtime? She's barely involved in the second-season episodes I've watched so far, and I'm really hoping she eventually steps in to fill Lew's shoes to some degree. (The dirty look she shot Joe when he was interrogating Jody in "The Silent Cry" was promising.) Gail Fisher is a smart, interesting actress -- I want to see more of her.
I agree, I had never seen the 1st season as it was rarely Aired, but Season 2 is almost like a new series and a bit more pedestrian One. Campenella was a fantastic actor and a good Match for Brass Mannix, its a pity they did'nt carry him over even if they did drop the Interact angle. Maybe the producers felt it was taking away from having Mannix be the main character. I'm not I'll stick with the series much beyond the second season. We'll see.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Dave Scarpa said:
I agree, I had never seen the 1st season as it was rarely Aired, but Season 2 is almost like a new series and a bit more pedestrian One. Campenella was a fantastic actor and a good Match for Brass Mannix, its a pity they did'nt carry him over even if they did drop the Interact angle. Maybe the producers felt it was taking away from having Mannix be the main character. I'm not I'll stick with the series much beyond the second season. We'll see.
The reasons for the changes have been discussed in this thread or another mannix thread. Ratings, believe it or not season one ratings for mannix were so so at best and mannix was almost canceled. To save the show the producers recast it in a more traditional sam spade PI archtype. It was ratings that drove the change in the show format.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
BobSchneider said:
The reasons for the changes have been discussed in this thread or another mannix thread. Ratings, believe it or not season one ratings for mannix were so so at best and mannix was almost canceled. To save the show the producers recast it in a more traditional sam spade PI archtype. It was ratings that drove the change in the show format.
It's really amusing, if you think about it: a show sees a DVD release beginning with it's 'rarely seen' season 1 that's a different format yet gets everybody interested. This allows the DVD releases to continue only to have the format change--the actual show that everybody seems to remember--hence alienating a few fans who wanted more of the first season. There's a lot of irony in there. :D
Still, I did enjoy Season 1 a lot more than I should have. I'll miss that format, but Season 2 ain't too shabby at all.
(weird, I have the Chiller marathon of 'Beauty and the Beast' in the background and who should show up? Joseph Campenella! Weird!)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm about half way through S2 and thoroughly enjoying it. Outstanding picture quality and all episodes appear uncut.
I was worried about the format change since I enjoyed S1 so much, but the series hasn't missed a beat. There's even a couple of references in some of the early episodes to Intertect so some attempt was made at continuity. Joe C is missed but big brother Frank is on hand for some episodes.
There is some suspension of belief required here...most of the cases seem to provide no income to Mannix as he is "drawn" into them as opposed being hired. Yet, he manages a fairly lavish lifestyle and drops $50 bribes (relatively big money in the 60s) often. Also, as many times as he's been shot & slugged, Mannix seems to have recovered nicely and bears no scars. Finally, is it just me or does act like a royal jerk to Peggy at times? She must have been very loyal to work for such a boss.
Those observations aside, this is a fast paced and action packed show that often has a twist ending (although some can be seen a mile away) and benefited from good writing. One of my favorites so far was written by Jackson Gillis who wrote for MASON.
CBS/P syndication Bible indicates the first 6 seasons have been remastered to HD which would indicate that CBS/P is in this for the long haul.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Good post, Steve. As a Mannix fan, I remember the guy getting conked on the head many many times. I guess he was a tough PI all right or at least had a steel plate installed up there.
About the "Peggy" angle, I haven't seen these since the 60's/70's but I'll look for that mail chauvinism stuff. I guess it was a reflection of the time "pre MTM"

Great news about the remsatering up to S6. Sounds good.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Again...I'm probably in the minority....but I have found season two to be far more interesting and enjoyable than the first season. Thank goodness for those low ratings in the first season to force the change in format and bring about "Sam Spade" and his secretary, advisor and once a blue moon sidekick detective, Peggy.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Roy Wall said:
Again...I'm probably in the minority....but I have found season two to be far more interesting and enjoyable than the first season. Thank goodness for those low ratings in the first season to force the change in format and bring about "Sam Spade" and his secretary, advisor and once a blue moon sidekick detective, Peggy.
Roy, I'm the same on this one. I appreciate getting S1 released since as others stated, that season was rarely if ever seen in syndication. As a big fan of this show, I preferred the format change as well.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
S2 just keeps getting better and better. Finally saw the debut of Mike Brady as a cop in the episode I watched last night; he's investigating the murder of a lady named "Carol" but not the same one he would marry in a year or two

It's been so long since I've seen this series that all these episodes are essentially new to me. Until I did some googling recently I didn't even realize that Mike Brady eventually replaced Frank Burns as the sidekick cop.
For those more familiar with the series, does the wannabee sidekick Albie (sp?) eventually go away? For some reason I find him annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks