Low, Medium, or High color temp.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tom Martin, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i just bought the Mitsubishi WS-55315. GREAT pic, but it doesn't tell you much bout the color temp. It has 3 setting, low, medium, high. i figured medium would be best because it says high gives whites a cool look which i take for meaning blue. but when i have it set to other than high, i get a big soft purplish hot spot around most of the center of the tv when the screen is all black. high evens the black out and takes away the purplish glow. anybody know what this is about?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Adjust the brightness (black level) control to see if the purplish patch goes away.

The correct color temperature is said to be "6500k". But your TV instructions might not specify which of the three settings is closest to 6500k.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In other words, use the "warm" setting -- or "medium."

In a bizarre twist, video terminology here means the opposite of the reality. The "cool" setting is, in fact, the hottest, while the "warm" setting tends, with most manufacturers, to come the closest to D6,500. And the "hot" setting is the "coldest." People associate blue with "cool."