Sony XBR calibrations

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Grant B, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Lately I can not get a picture I like when I calibrate my 32XBR400 using my Avia test disc.
    There are a few settings that might be messing me up that are not addressed. Any input would be most helpful, thanks!

Color Temp: Cool Neutral Warm
    VM: (edge enhancement) high medium low and off
    DR:C Progressive / Interlaced

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

David
    Thanks!
    Thats just how I keep it for Pro which I use for DVDs & HDTV and they look great.
    It's the 'normal' channels that look off.
    There is such a variation between most channels it's hard to make generalities but warm looks discolored when you use the vivid seeting for say sports.
    Vm or edge enhancements - I understand about how it gets rid of the HF detail but on low quality (like VHS) wouldn't this help?

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have a Sony widescreen rptv and find Warm to look a bit discolored on anything but dvd and HD. I use neutral for regular tv. Also I find that a little SVM is actually helpful for many ntsc sources like analog cable.

I do avoid vivid on all sources, maybe try Standard or Movie for regular tv and pro for dvd and HD.

My set does not allow SVM to be adjusted or turned off in the user menu (though it is off in pro by default). I have gone into the service menu and turned it to off in Movie but on the lowest level in Standard, which I use for regular tv. Vivid has a bunch of "enhancements" besides svm that really make the picture look terrible.

4. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

It would make an improvement to calibrate the color decoder to eliminate red push. The adjustment for this is in the service menu, though. This would be getting pretty advanced, but you only need Avia and the proper instructions to do it.

Chad

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Chad
    I spent most of today trying to find the red push in the service menu.
    I found it before but I must of had a "everything goes wrong for Grant day" today.
    I must learn to roll over and not get out of bed on those days (that's the day we have an earthquake and the upstairs piano falls on my head0

Steve
    I agree with you except for really washed out 70s films. I would love to get rid of Vivid "enhancements"

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Grant,

This may not be the same for your set, but on my Sony rptv the red push was corrected by changing "Axis" from 0 to 1.
    I had about 15% red push according to AVIA before changing this and was not really bothered by it, but after changing it had 0 red push and was able to turn color up to almost 50% from the previous 35% and love it.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Finally found axis and mine was set at 3...now 0 and back to Avia
    Thanks Guys!