What's new

A few words about...™ - The Color Purple -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm a high-volume buyer of catalog movies on discs. Except for a couple of months in 2023, my average purchases per month have been around 23-25 catalog movies on 4K/UHD and Blu-ray. Back in the day, that number would easily be double that amount per month. This year I had a couple of months above 40 titles, but the other 10 months it was more like 23-25. The reason for that decline is because the number of catalog titles to purchase on disc has declined.

Disney is one of the main culprits when it comes to lower amount of physical media releases. Furthermore, it's even worse because now because they have the Fox library and have done absolutely nothing with it.

The physical home video market is on life support and there is no other way to look at it from that perspective/reality!
Although no-one on this forum (or probably anywhere else) purchases as many films on disc and digital as you do, I have the same experience as yourself. I've purchased fewer discs this year. I purchase very few new films, so it's mostly catalogue releases. However, 2023 has been the year I've upgraded a record number of titles from existing blu-rays in my library - with new blu-ray transfers, or 4K UHD releases: I've counted 120 replacements/upgrades this year! Other titles, not previously in my library: 106.

But this is still a lot, compared to my purchase of music discs. I used to purchase as many music discs, as I did films. But this year I have purchased only two new releases, plus 30 catalogue releases. My taste in new films seems to have endured, but I find almost all new music uninteresting. Also, whereas the quality of films on media for home video consumption has only improved during the last 45 years, the quality of music from discs has only (with very few exceptions) deteriorated.

Not to derail this Color Purple thread though: Spielberg is now the leading director on 4K UHD. The Color Purple brings the number of films he's directed to 17. (Cue further posts saying "I want .... on 4K UHD ;))

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
[/QUOTE]
Robert Crawford aka the king of catalog!
I thought it was Ridley Scott who had more films in 4K

It is probably pretty close and we also can be lucky to have a lot of Hitchcock titles available in UHD.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not to derail this Color Purple thread though: Spielberg is now the leading director on 4K UHD. The Color Purple brings the number of films he's directed to 17. (Cue further posts saying "I want .... on 4K UHD ;))
There are 19 Spielberg directed movies on 4K/UHD.

1. Duel
  2. Jaws
  3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  5. E.T.
  6. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  7. The Color Purple
  8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  9. Hook
  10. Jurassic Park
  11. Schindler's List
  12. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  13. Saving Private Ryan
  14. War of the Worlds
  15. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  16. The Post
  17. Ready Player One
  18. West Side Story
  19. The Fabelmans

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought it was Ridley Scott who had more films in 4K

There are a few more that have 4K digitals, but I only count 13 Ridley Scott directed films on 4K/UHD.

1. Alien
  2. Blade Runner
  3. Thelma & Louise
  4. Gladiator
  5. Hannibal
  6. Black Hawk Down
  7. American Gangster
  8. Prometheus
  9. Robin Hood
  10. The Martian
  11. Alien: Covenant
  12. Exodus: Gods and Kings
  13. The Last Duel

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

1. Duel
  2. Jaws
  5. E.T.
  7. The Color Purple
  9. Hook
  10. Jurassic Park
  11. Schindler's List
  13. Saving Private Ryan
  14. War of the Worlds
  16. The Post
  17. Ready Player One
  18. West Side Story
  19. The Fabelmans
Of course you're right - I'd forgotten (erased from my mind?) The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; two Spielberg films I dislike intensely :biggrin:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I would like to see KINGDOM OF HEAVEN ----BLACK RAIN---MUNICH all in 4K.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Unfortunately this film IMO sorely lacks being that it was directed by a Caucasian director and needs to be remade by a Black director-Spike Lee would do wonders. Like imagine if Spike Lee directed Schindler’s List then you’ll get my point.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

1. Duel
  2. Jaws
  5. E.T.
  7. The Color Purple
  9. Hook
  10. Jurassic Park
  11. Schindler's List
  13. Saving Private Ryan
  14. War of the Worlds
  16. The Post
  17. Ready Player One
  18. West Side Story
  19. The Fabelmans

Forgot one.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Unfortunately this film IMO sorely lacks being that it was directed by a Caucasian director and needs to be remade by a Black director-Spike Lee would do wonders. Like imagine if Spike Lee directed Schindler’s List then you’ll get my point.
I think Dee Rees would be a better choice for TCP. Spike Lee is known for misogyny and homophobia, which would not relate to a more interesting handling of the subject matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think Dee Rees would be a better choice for TCP. Spike Lee is known for misogyny and homophobia, which would not relate to a more interesting handling of the subject matter.
Today there are several choices with Rees among them. With that said, I think Lee would have respected the source material of Alice Walker.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There are a few more that have 4K digitals, but I only count 13 Ridley Scott directed films on 4K/UHD.

1. Alien
  2. Blade Runner
  3. Thelma & Louise
  4. Gladiator
  5. Hannibal
  6. Black Hawk Down
  7. American Gangster
  8. Prometheus
  9. Robin Hood
  10. The Martian
  11. Alien: Covenant
  12. Exodus: Gods and Kings
  13. The Last Duel

Oh well, that isn't close at all.
Having a combined 48 movies from Hitchcock, Spielberg and Scott on UHD is still pretty impressive and to be cherished!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks