What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Unbreakable -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If Mr. Shyamalan's films are thought of as having surprise endings (think his The Sixth Sense - a favorite of mine, which I consider a delicacy - Unbreakable doesn't really work that way.

It's an interesting tale that could easily have been a part of one of the Marvel or DC series, which involves two men positioned 180 degrees from one another in the physical spectrum, and the education of one, played by Bruce Willis, who is unaware of his powers.

Originally shot and released on film, the new 4k UHD rarity from Disney's Touchstone division, makes use of a new 4k master, to positive effect on 4k media.

It's an interestingly shot (and designed) film, with certain colors continuously coming to the fore. Purple is especially allied to Samuel Jackson's character, while certain night sequences take on a touch of cyan. An interesting palette as captured by Eduardo Serra.

The film was followed up by Mr. Shyamalan with Glass (2019) - available in 4k from Universal, which is also interwoven with his 2016 Split, a far better film, with James McAvoy in the lead, and which also featured Anya Taylor-Joy, who only seven years ago began her film career with a bit in Vampire Academy, before she wowed audiences with The Witch.

Is Mr. S formulating his own Marvel-like Universe, toward a sale to Disney for Billions?

Or possibly not.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I debated rewatching Unbreakable on Blu-ray prior to viewing Glass on UHD, but held off in the hopes of a UHD that would improve on that dated Blu-ray. Glad that I waited. Haven't picked this up yet, but I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks