What's new
World Wide Stereo

Low cost projector and screen setup to replace TV sets (1 Viewer)

ujay

Auditioning
Real Name
Sebastian
Hey folks I'm building a minimalist clutter free cabin in the countryside. I need some ideas for a lower cost set up:

Budget for each projector is $400 - $700 tops. I need two of them. One for living room. One for master Bedroom. The more expensive projector for the bedroom. A cheaper alternative for the living room with a smaller 40 to 50 inch widescreen. 60 inch + for the bedroom. I'd watch more movies in the bedroom than I would in the living area. Actually come to think of it, maybe I buy just the one projector and make it portable so I can easily fit it into its hidden slot for use in living area when needed. But remains in bedroom the rest of the time.

The idea is to completely replace a HDTV with a projector and screen cutting costs in half or more.

I mostly watch Divx and occasionally X264 encoded at 720p off a media center. I'd like to able to eventually watch HD DVD on the same system as well in future but for now to view Divx and ripped DVDs at best view possible.

1) A hidden projector for the living room with all wire hookups nicely hidden. A mounted 40 to 50 inch projector screen on the wall that blends into the decor.

2) Another hidden projector for the master bedroom.

Any award winning design ideas? Links? Photos? Low Budget is important. I don't want to go all out if I can do it and keep the costs down.

Also I want to replace the traditional home Cd Stereo with a hidden computer somewhere just for audio and some neat remote control with LCD screen that shows me all the music that's on the system. Finally speaker placement through the home for audio. There's got be a way to do this as cheap as possible in a DIY manner instead of buying those expensive media centers. A lower cost alternative to do the same job that's hidden from view. Only the remote accesses it and shows everything that's on it. Mostly for playing MP3s.

I hate DVD and CD disks. Fed up of these getting scratched and skipping. So I want to setup an all digital solution.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't buy a projector for such small screen sizes. But if you insist, I own and highly recommend the Mitsubishi HD1000. It's a 720p DLP projector that costs $850. You can easily make or paint your own screen for about $40. My screen is 1/2" MDF painted white.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks