What's new

Low cost DVD w/ DTS decoding (1 Viewer)

Michael C Hicks

Auditioning
I am just starting to build my first HT setup. My first purchase was used Denon 3200 rec, purchased on HTR Marketplace. It doesn't have DTS decoding. I want to upgrade my planned DVD to include a DTS decoder. I don't need prog scan so I had been looking at the JVC S45, Toshiba SD1700, and Pan RV31. None of these have the DTS decoder. Any suggestions?
Also since most new rec come with decoders built in, are there any external decoders I might be able to get used?
Thanks, and this forum has been a blessing to a novice wanting honest info, not the stuff being peddled by salesmen.
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, first off, welcome to the Forum. There are external DTS decoders available, but I am not up on them. For a good DVD player with DTS decoding capability, take a look at the Sony DVP-C670D five-disc DVD/CD changer. It was discontinued a few months back, but some stores still have them. I bought one in August 2000 and have been extremely pleased with it. It's loaded with features and the remote is excellent. The original retail price was $450 and I paid $367, but brick-and-mortar stores are now selling it for $280. If you have Tweeter in your area, they may have it. Also, try OneCall (1-800-340-4770), Oade Bros. (in Georgia; 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) by mail. All are authorized Sony dealers. In addition, all DVD-Audio players have built-in DTS decoders. DVD-Audio is a nice high-resolution format that you may want to consider. Good luck.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Art Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
Look for the Panasonic DVD-RA60. It should sell for less than $300--maybe way less..
This has DD/DTS decoders DVD-A but not progressive video output. Not too sure who is selling it yet, but it apparently is the replacement for the DVD-RP61 which was to be Pans entry level DVD-A player. I'm interested in hearing its audio quality compared to the just released Toshiba 4700/5700 which don't have dts decoders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks