What's new

Love in the Afternoon coming via Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
15941142_10154911055711563_8643437728874025960_n.jpg

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am not familiar with this film but after the initial post from Noach have done some research and will be ordering as soon as the pre order is posted.
I cannot believe how I have missed this film; I certainly do not recall it being heavily played on Australian cable or free to air.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I am not familiar with this film but after the initial post from Noach have done some research and will be ordering as soon as the pre order is posted.
I cannot believe how I have missed this film; I certainly do not recall it being heavily played on Australian cable or free to air.

I love this film and I believe it to be a master work; a romantic film with an unromantic attitude. But be warned, there have always been people who find it distasteful. My guess is that today very few people will object to its frank view of human nature or its cynical sense of humor. I recommend that you see this film at least once.

I'm buying this Blu-ray disc on day 1.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
If this were being sold at brick-and-mortars, would I be right in questioning the decision not to plaster the faces of Cooper and Hepburn on the cover?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wonder how many B&M shoppers would recognize Cooper these days? Maybe Hepburn. I'm glad it's a non-issue, as this (Saul Bass?) is very nice.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
beautifully shot by William Mellor.
Indeed it was. I had the good luck to see a pristine 35mm print of this film and I can attest to this. Charming film. For the record, it is a remake of an Elisabeth Bergner/Paul Czinner film, Ariane, which is much more jaded and realistic.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am actually thinking that the Warner Archive is doing a better job of turning out Blu-ray catalog title releases than Warner Bros. did under its own studio banner. Remarkable output.

Your having such a vast library of films as yet unreleased, this escalation of Archive titles is more than welcome. Many thanks!

P.S. Please don't forget Errol Flynn!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not for me either, but pleased it is being released. Warners seem to be upping the pace of their blu-ray archive releases. Wish they would put out some more RKO film noirs.
So would I, but knowing the condition of the RKO film elements, I can see why such releases are very slowly coming out.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If they'd plastered the faces of Hepburn and Cooper on the cover then there would be twenty posts berating Warners for not using the original Saul Bass art, which falls in the category of "there is no winning." I love the art.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So would I, but knowing the condition of the RKO film elements, I can see why such releases are very slowly coming out.

Yeah, BRINGING UP BABY I think is in rough shape. I saw a supposed HD master of it, and it looked pretty crappy. Films like THE INFORMER and LOST PATROL are also likely pretty ropey. I think GUNGA DIN could look good, though -- the HD master I saw of that one was solid.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Interested in knowing why they filmed Gary Cooper in shadows in this movie. Was it to hide age difference with Audrey Hepburn? Was he already ill at this time? Was it an artistic choice? Interested in facts and/or opinions.

Poster for French speaking countries

photos_17521_1466051235.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Notice how in France the film was known as Ariane, the title of the original version directed by Paul Czinner. As I posted earlier, this original version is darker and more cynical. Wilder lightened the tone considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks