What's new

Love in the Afternoon coming via Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
If they'd plastered the faces of Hepburn and Cooper on the cover then there would be twenty posts berating Warners for not using the original Saul Bass art, which falls in the category of "there is no winning." I love the art.

Generally I like to see original poster art but as this is not one of his best a montage of the actors might have been better.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'd like to see the original version.

I watched the DVD of Love In The Afternoon yesterday. The film's wonderful - I roared with laughter several times - but the DVD's pretty bad. If this new Blu-ray disc is up to Warner Archives' usual immaculate standards, it's going to be a huge upgrade.

I don't know about Gary Cooper's health during the making of this film but you can see that he was getting on in years. I wonder of this was one of the roles Billy Wilder wanted Cary Grant to play. Possibly the ideal actor at that time for this part was David Niven. The performance he gave in Bonjour Tristesse, playing a similar character, would have been perfect, and he was at a more appropriate age. I must emphasize though that I have no complaints about Gary Cooper in this film . . . or anyone else either.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per Wikipedia for the American release of the film, Maurice Chevalier recorded an end-of-film narration. This was against Billy Wilder's wishes. Does this mean there a version of the film without the final narration? I am sure if the bluray was released without it there would be calls for replacement disks.

Per Wikipedia per Walter Mirisch's autobiography, " I Thought We Were Making Movies, Not History" Cary Grant and Yul Brynner were the first choices for the Gary Cooper role.

Some interesting stills from the film. Two in color in this youtube video of an instrumental of the song "Fascination" Definitely not from the sound track.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I don't know about Gary Cooper's health during the making of this film but you can see that he was getting on in years. I wonder of this was one of the roles Billy Wilder wanted Cary Grant to play. Possibly the ideal actor at that time for this part was David Niven. The performance he gave in Bonjour Tristesse, playing a similar character, would have been perfect, and he was at a more appropriate age. I must emphasize though that I have no complaints about Gary Cooper in this film . . . or anyone else either.

Cooper would have been 55 at the time the film was being shot (George Clooney's age now), and Hepburn 27. A big difference, but not all that unusual in the movies. Cooper was less than 3 years older than Cary Grant.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Cooper would have been 55 at the time the film was being shot (George Clooney's age now), and Hepburn 27. A big difference, but not all that unusual in the movies. Cooper was less than 3 years older than Cary Grant.

True, but in the 1950s Cary Grant looked younger than he was, so the perceived age difference between himself and Gary Cooper would have been more than three years. Audrey Hepburn looks a lot younger than 27 in this film!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If you can't tell the difference between a fact and an opinion without it being explicitly pointed out, that's a YP, not an MP.

IMHO.

Robert Crawford and I made clear that we could tell the difference between fact and opinion.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
But you feel that others can't? Why the need to point out that my statement was an opinion? Are you afraid someone will come along and think "well, I was interested in this movie but this guy says it's one of the worst and he didn't say IMO or anything so it must be a fact"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks