What's new

LOTR: Extended Edition - when will reviews be available? (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Count me as another who voluntarily is being double dipped.
Not me. I rented the theatrical cut on release day. My logic is that I'll never ever have any desire to ever watch it after I get the extended cut, and the extras are watch-once-and-you're-done. The Extended Edition is a different story.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i did the blockbuster deal so i convinved myself i got the first dvd for free. so i have no problem buying the new verson.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Hell, not only am I happy giving my money twice, but if they do this with each movie I guarantee I will be doing it next year and the year after as well. And when it's all said and done if they release a box set as something special they may very well get my money yet again!:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I know you are busy, but I was wondering about a specific scene that we had all talked about some time ago.

There is a scene that I think was in a trailer (maybe, and maybe for the FOTR specific trailer) or even shown as a still photo, that had Legolas shooting an arrow back over the shoulder of some of the party running away (so it seemed).

The speculation was that this would be Legolas killing some orcs chasing them into Lorien (outskirts) as it is in the book.

Any sign of a moment like that anywhere (it's placement/scene was just our guess)? Maybe Dan or someone remembers us talking about it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'll be double dipping as well. To be honest I firmly believe that this trilogy will easily replace my current favourite trilogy - the OT Star Wars.

The fact that the extras on the current release are not duplicated on the EE plus the current release has the trailers etc make it a worthwhile purchase. It will be a good reminder of the mindset of the viewing audience before they saw the first film.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I just finished reading Bill's review.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

This set is pretty much going to be everything we hoped. I was especially glad to see this (hope you don't mind me quoting a bit, Bill):
Something that is very much worth noting here is that Peter Jackson, New Line and the DVD producers at Kurtti-Pellerin have already begun planning the DVD releases of the next two films, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. There will indeed be 2-disc theatrical and 4-disc extended versions of each film. More importantly, an overall DVD design philosophy has been worked out for the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy, so that each 2-disc set will complement the other 2-disc sets, and each 4-disc set will likewise build on the other 4-disc sets.
Outstanding! I think a lot of us will have dedicated LotR shelves before all is said & done.

Gregory E

Second Unit
Something that is very much worth noting here is that Peter Jackson, New Line and the DVD producers at Kurtti-Pellerin have already begun planning the DVD releases of the next two films, The Two Towers and The Return of the King. There will indeed be 2-disc theatrical and 4-disc extended versions of each film.
I guess I'm going to end up having 18 Lord of the Rings DVDs in all. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will we be seeing a review from Ron anytime soon?
I did not want to rush out my review.

It may not be as well written as those done by
both Peter Bracke and Bill Hunt, but trust that
I always make up for lack of writing talent with
an abundant amount of DETAIL and SCREEN SHOTS.

Expect many screenshots of the newly introduced
scenes.

I am spending the entire day tomorrow going through
the supplements.

After watching the film this evening, however,
I can tell you that this is an astounding DVD.
It is an entirely new movie that takes on an
entirely new meaning.

I'll never watch the original version again.
THIS is the definitive story.

Sound and visuals are flawless!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ronbo,

On behalf of a lot of fans I feel it best you REALLY go easy on what screenshots you decide to put up within the review. A lot of us want to read your review, but even those of us who have a great passion for the books and now the films are wanting much of the experience of viewing the extended cut to be as visualy fresh as possible when we come to spin the discs.

I know you won't let us down.

Dan

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Idea 1, perhaps two review threads, one that's general discussion and doesn't have screenshots from the new scenes. The other could be immediately closed, stuck at the top for as long as the other thread is active, and give it all the screenies. You could copy and paste the spoiler-less one in, then just add the screens.
Also Ron, don't be so hard on yourself. There are four places that I turn to for reviews, DigitalBits, DVDFile, IGN, and you. The fact that you're not a "professional" reviewer makes your reviews no less valid, accurate, or dead-on. You write some great reviews, stop being so damn modest! :D

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just FYI, there are two Easter eggs on this set as well, one on each movie disc. Very fun little bonus items. I've added descriptions and access instructions to the first page of the review (but not in the main text, so if you don't want to be spoiled, you're still okay).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Bill,
Excellent, especially on that 2nd egg!
Oh my! For months have I longed to watch that again. :D
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks