What's new

Lost: Season Six (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And by the way, the packaging doesn't match the "plastic case and slip cover" style of the previous seasons. It is different - half as thick, UPDATE but otherwise the same. Meltdowns of OCD people are expected to come on suddenly; remove to fresh air and give liquids.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I hate to say it but Im one of those OCD people and I hate it when they do things like this with the packaging when ur collecting season sets

Oh well!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How about Spartacus if you can take a lot of blood, gore, sex and expletives? Very serialized, very satisfying. I'm not sure when the prequel miniseries is set to air, but with the DVD set coming out in a month, I imagine you'd have plenty of time to catch up.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I finally watched the "New Man in Charge" addendum to the series. I thought it was quite fun answering some long standing questions (some of which folk had already figured out). Seeing it does make me miss the show and wish we could see more of the adventures of Ben and Hurley.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by NeilO

I finally watched the "New Man in Charge" addendum to the series. I thought it was quite fun answering some long standing questions (some of which folk had already figured out). Seeing it does make me miss the show and wish we could see more of the adventures of Ben and Hurley.

I saw it too, and it made me wonder: If these "revelations" could be done in such a casual manner and if they didn't really impact the show's central storyline, why couldn't they have been introduced in a regular episode earlier? Why not throw in the bit about the polar bears in the 5th or 6th season, well after that mystery was introduced and after we'd stopped looking for an answer to that question? Far too many things like this were unanswered in the series, when it could have been done very easily and made for a more satisfying experience.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Why not throw in the bit about the polar bears in the 5th or 6th season, well after that mystery was introduced and after we'd stopped looking for an answer to that question? Far too many things like this were unanswered in the series, when it could have been done very easily and made for a more satisfying experience.

*Sigh*

Okay, the polar bears were ENTIRELY explained. There are NO questions about the polar bears that went unanswered, other than their names! What could you possible want to know about them?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Okay, the polar bears were ENTIRELY explained. There are NO questions about the polar bears that went unanswered, other than their names! What could you possible want to know about them?

Nothing. I'm just saying that the kinds of things that were given an explanation in the 12 minute extra on the season 6 set (not just polar bears) could have been revealed and incorporated into the show years ago without giving away anything central to the story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How could they have answered why

Walt was special years ago? S6 revealed why the characters were brought to the island in the first place and that plays directly into Walt was special. I guess they could have had some laughably unnatural and out of place dialogue where someone brought up Walt (a character that, outside of Hurley, none of the S6 characters had seen since he left the island three years ago) which would have felt like and would have been the writers saying "This is completely irrelevant at this time but it's an answer. Happy now?"

Also, what other mysteries were never answered on the show? I just rewatched the entire series in the last month and, outside of Walt, I can think of very few questions (and they'd be, at best, very minor) that weren't answered or that I didn't have enough information to make an educated guess about from what is presented in the episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

The numbers? Associating them with the candidates isn't an explanation.

- Walter.

Beyond random chance, how can there be an explanation for the numbers? It's like Kate's mom interacting with Sawyer in a flashback or Jack being the doctor that let Shannon's dad die, it just happened. Or, if you're inclined to look at it from a Locke-ian POV, it was the hand of fate or Jacob or the island leading them to the island.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Too many occurrences for randomness. I believe the real answer is that the writers wrote themselves into a corner with the numbers (attempting to develop the mythology of the Island) and weren't able to provide a satisfactory resolution for their presence in the series.

- Walter.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
They pretty much explained the numbers in the "Lost Experience" ARG:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Valenzetti_Equation

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Too many occurrences for randomness. I believe the real answer is that the writers wrote themselves into a corner with the numbers (attempting to develop the mythology of the Island) and weren't able to provide a satisfactory resolution for their presence in the series.

- Walter.

Too many occurrences? There's so many numbers that they are bound to occur alot. I can find some of the numbers on this page right now- this is page 62 of this thread or 6 + 2= 8, it's September 4, add up the individual numbers of my post count (14,370) and it adds up to 15. It's just dumb luck here and it's just dumb luck in the Lost universe.

Except for the candidate numbers, there's few examples of all 6 of the numbers being used at once and I'm pretty sure all of those go right back to the Dharma Initiative (the transmission where Hurley got his lotto numbers from, the numbers entered into the Swan's computer).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I should really let this go, because everyone has their opinions and are unlikely to be swayed, but...

The Lost Experience ARG is not the show. Personally, I believe that stories need to be told within the context of the narrative and if information outside the show is required then the writers have failed to convey what was intended.

Yes, too many occurrences to be random. Off the top of my head...

Radio Broadcast

Mental Asylum ( played at a carnival by one of Hurley's associates)

Used by Hurley to win the lottery

Stamped on the Enclosure for the Hatch at the Swan

Entered into the computer every 100+ minutes by Desmond, etc. at the Swan

On the Soccer uniforms at the airport.

On the odometer of Hurley's car.

Associated with the candidates at the Light House.

Sorry, but you don't encounter strings of numbers that specific in real life in as overt a form as was depicted in the series. Sure you can search for them and perform all sorts of equations but it is not the same thing. Admittedly, I run into 42 a lot, but who doesn't like a reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Bowing out of the discussion.

Cheers,

Walter...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

On the odometer of Hurley's car.

Speaking of odometers, I was in my friend's car the other day and the mileage read 108,815 so I made sure to note the reference to her. If there's anything that gets a chick hotter than a Lost reference, I have yet to find it. (Man, I make Lost references and I call women 'chicks', how do I not have a girlfriend?)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
So I finally watched the epilogue short... and it was neat, but hyped up a little too much.

I understand that some audiences don't like figuring out things for themselves, but the way this hit you over the head with things that were implied in much earlier seasons detracted from it, in my opinion.

I did like the part after the orientation video a lot more, though.

Basically, it's a neat extra, but nowhere near worth all the attention it's been getting.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone. I'd like to ask a question... I think the series answered this question in the late episodes but I guess my brain just fried... :)

Since Michael died on the island and is one of these whispering ghosts that can't move on, why didn't the drowned Korean couple & blowned up Sayid end up as Michael did? Had it something to do with Jacob or Man in Black?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been watching season six lately on BD, and I think it's not a good fit with the prior five seasons. I don't know the answer to the above question, but I will place this in spoiler space for the benefit of those who haven't seen it.

The show seems to keep coming out of left field in an effort to surprise the audience, but doing so as often as they do ends up making little sense. And as we know from the end of the series, the sideways timeline is never really explained in relation to the fifth season and what came before, nor is the effect of the detonation of the bomb at the end of season five. Much of what happens to the characters seems random, and there is little attempt to explain events. Also, another problem I have with season six is that it's mean - and I don't mean unpleasant for the characters, I mean sadistic. It's been unpleasant to watch. Rather than having a mystery unravel, it became a constant guessing game with the writers trying to keep the audience off balance. Season six should have been the payoff for years of attention to the show - and maybe for many, it was - but I don't feel like it lived up to the storytelling of the previous years.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

All I can tell you is that many fans felt ripped off by
the end of the show.

There were quite a few things that went unanswered

(one of which was addressed in the Season 6 supplements).

The biggest argument against the show is that it took the "cheap" way out by going with a faith-based answer rather than something scientific that would have given concrete support to many of the events that happened over the years.

Also, realize, when the writers started this show 6 years earlier they had no idea it would last so long. There was no roadmap as to where the show would go. Most of it was made up along the way -- many of it filler -- and then somehow they had to address it all in the final season. At one point I believe the writers announced everything that happened on the Island could be explained scientifically, but when you have to develop storyline for so many seasons, sooner or later you are going to have to interject things that cannot be supported by science. I know you are nearing the end, and I hope I am not bringing down your expectations. Perhaps it would help if I did. No matter what you think of the show's ending, I don't think it can be argued that there was some superb storytelling and characterizations over the past 6 years. Despite its flaws, LOST still remains one of the greatest television series ever made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks