What's new

Lost: Season Six (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, that was so long ago. I remember not being satisfied with the ending, but don't really remember specifics. I don't think it was necessarily because they didn't answer enough questions. I know the whole "Jack was really dead" thing was kind of lame. But I also wasn't a true fanboy of the show either. I watched it, found most of it entertaining, but didn't think it was groundbreaking or appointment TV or anything.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not so much questions, but to followup on the discussion from the TWD thread. Two major items that I felt were never adequately covered in the series are:

The Numbers - A lot of occurrences (including the equations) and some correlation to individuals (at the lighthouse) doesn't really add up to much of an answer. The numbers concept on the show felt like an idea that was kind of neat but never fully thought through and then they tried to tie it all together with the lighthouse.

The Smoke Monster - Once again the explanations and nature of the monster felt incomplete. This also felt like something that they had to cobble together because the clock was running out on the series.

Did they attempt to answer these things? Sure, but a lot of the show felt like they simply did not know where it was all headed and they had to improvise answers to questions that they had spun up as the mystery of the Island evolved through the series. Thus it felt incomplete and inadequate at times.

As an aside, I revisited the series (complete re-watch on Blu-Ray) with a friend who had never seen the show. During the broadcast run I really disliked the series finale (and you can probably find posts to that effect on the HTF :) ) but the second time around, being aware of where it was all headed, season six and the finale were much more satisfying. Basically, I left the series, after the second viewing, with a much more positive attitude.

(But I still feel like the producers fell into the trap of asking questions for which they had no answers and that some of the answers felt improvised and very incomplete at times.)

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not so much questions, but to followup on the discussion from the TWD thread. Two major items that I felt were never adequately covered in the series are:

The Numbers - A lot of occurrences (including the equations) and some correlation to individuals (at the lighthouse) doesn't really add up to much of an answer. The numbers concept on the show felt like an idea that was kind of neat but never fully thought through and then they tried to tie it all together with the lighthouse.

The Smoke Monster - Once again the explanations and nature of the monster felt incomplete. This also felt like something that they had to cobble together because the clock was running out on the series.

Did they attempt to answer these things? Sure, but a lot of the show felt like they simply did not know where it was all headed and they had to improvise answers to questions that they had spun up as the mystery of the Island evolved through the series. Thus it felt incomplete and inadequate at times.
With the passage of time, I do think the smoke monster is one of the weaker answers to the long running mysteries (in earlier seasons, it seems much more like an automated thing rather than in the second half of the series when it was Christian/Man In The Black) but personally, I really liked what they did with the numbers. Like the island itself, there's no explanation for 'magic' or if you do try to explain something too much, you run into Star Wars/midichlorian territory where you get to the point of robbing it of a piece of what makes it interesting. All that being said, there is still an explanation- good or bad- for those things.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I liked it better when they explained the smoke monster as being a security system. Even Ben was able to summon it on command at one point. Though it being the Man in Black did make some sense I guess as to why it killed some people and not others.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
(But I still feel like the producers fell into the trap of asking questions for which they had no answers and that some of the answers felt improvised and very incomplete at times.)

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the producers even admitting to something like this. The show got bigger than they anticipated and now they had to come up with answers to things which were just supposed to be weird for weirdness sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks