What's new

Lost: Season Six (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming that's the same post from someone claiming to be employed by the show from a few pages back? I basically agree with his interpretation but I think this is just a fan who thinks that's what the writers intended so it's fine for him to pretend that he worked there because his interpretation is what the writers "really meant" anyway.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by JediFonger

there's a forum post that has been going around the web like wildfire, but i've never been able to find the source of it, but here it is (supposedly from a writer of Lost):
That was included a few pages back and the writer, especially in saying

the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

does not really seem to have a good grip on reality. I refuse to believe that they had that completely scripted in the beginning and out of sheer (you name it) didn't want to change it. That just defies all logic.

Over at the AVS Lost Forum someone posted (#19761):

Update: 26th May I've spoken to ABC and they have confirmed that this person did use to work for ABC as an Intern but were released 3 years ago.

So take it as such.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'm assuming that's the same post from someone claiming to be employed by the show from a few pages back?
Yes. IIRC, someone mentioned that in fact, this person did serve as an intern for a brief period of time, but had no contact with the show after season two or season three...

EDIT - - Oops! Neil beat me to it.

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Widmore arranged for the wreckage at the ocean's bottom that caused the world to assume Oceanic 815 had crashed at sea.

Widmore notices Daniel crying and asks if he said something to upset him. Daniel replies it is because of the discovery of Flight 815's wreckage and that he doesn't know why its bothering him so much other than it's a sad situation. Widmore replies that they aren't dead, because he faked the wreckage.
source

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Hey All,

Been re-watching the entire series and have just finished episode 19 of Season 3. Richard says to Locke, "Ben has been wasting our time with novelties like fertility problems. We're looking for someone to remind us that we're here for more important reasons."

There were people who were upset that some of the mysteries weren't answered during the course of the show and one of the big complaints was the whole fertility situation. Well - this statement from Richard shows us exactly how brilliant the writers were. Fertility issues, polar bears, Walt's powers - these were not the important issues. The show was about "being here for more important reasons" It was about friendship and redemption by community. And the creators/writers of the show knew that from the very beginning. This show is exactly like a Stephen King novel (we've seen King's books a few times in the series) where the story is all about the character's journeys during the course of the fantastic events playing out. But the fantastic is always in the back seat in a King novel. It's always about character. And Lost is exactly that.

I've had so much fun going back and watching the series again. The show is just so damn good. I am so thankful that ABC "let go" and allowed everyone involved do their thing so we could get this masterpiece of television. Certainly a must buy for me when the complete series hits Bluray this August.

Cheers,

Jason

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by PaulDA
I don't understand that quote or what Paul wrote.

Hasn't it been known since that season Widmore put the fake plane there and the other quote is inaccurate.

Widmore never said that to Faraday, as widmore was no where near him. He, Faraday was in a room with an unseen woman who had asked faraday why he was upset and Faraday told her he wasn't sure.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by TonyD

I don't understand that quote or what Paul wrote.

Hasn't it been known since that season Widmore put the fake plane there and the other quote is inaccurate.

Widmore never said that to Faraday, as widmore was no where near him. He, Faraday was in a room with an unseen woman who had asked faraday why he was upset and Faraday told her he wasn't sure.

What? He most certainly *did* say that to Faraday. It occured in the episode "The Variable," in which we see a young Daniel playing the piano, and being told by Eloise that there is no time for "distractions." Years later, Daniel is sitting in his house watching the news report of the 815 wreckage at the bottom of the ocear, and begins crying. Shortly after, Charles Widmore pays Daniel a visit, and reveals that he has been the one funding Faraday's research (the one that got him removed from Oxford). Daniel starts crying again, and Widmore asks if he's done something to upset him, to which Faraday says "no" and that it's the tragedy of 815 that has him in tears. Widmore says not to worry, that he faked the whole thing--he notes that he has no problem revealing this bombshell to Daniel because he will likely forget the entire conversation anyway in a few minutes. Widmore then offers him a job on the freighter, where his memory problems will be fixed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
*sigh* For people who think the setting was purgatory, the stage is that those who are there are obviously appearing after death and are not sure where they are headed. Despite those who argue the reverse, I've been back through the first three seasons in the off summer, and I do feel a lot better about that as a position. I recognize others disagree. We'll agree to disagree. But I'm saying the show makes all sorts of possibilities acceptable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I bet if I look at posts anywhere on the internet after the finale aired, the vast majority of people who said it was purgatory all cited the plane wreckage over the end credits to back up their theory. The only problem is that that footage is not part of the show in any way, shape or form so the keystone of the theory is completely invalid or at least no more valid than someone just randomly saying "It was all Hurley's dream" or "It's all a snowglobe" because those theories were brought up previously in the show too.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Plus, there are footsteps in the sand, and clothes arranged in a pile, evidence of human activity after the crash. (And true, no way to "prove" that those weren't made by the Others scoping out the wreckage, but that's the kind of thinking that gets you in trouble in the first place.) They're shots from the pilot that happen to have none of the survivors in them, chosen for their contemplative effect.

Turns out to be a mistake. People see what they want to see, and ignore the minor but telling details that disprove their theories.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It's not a mistake because people see what they want to see. It's a (minor) mistake because it's attached to a show that has asked the audience to dissect things for years, then in the finale, where we're all paying close attention and trying to tie together everything, they throw in a final scene. And we're suddenly not supposed to try to make sense of it? I buy that the fade to black was supposed to provide disconnect between all that went before and that final scene, but except for the fact that I didnt' have the time or energy to pick through the scene, that's exactly what I would have done.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
FWIW, in one of those "tagged on by ABC" shots you can also plainly see the "blue tarp" that was prominently featured throughout the series whenever Losties were assembled near the beach. Myself, I took that as further proof they did NOT die in the crash. So, although Damon and Carlton have asked fans to ignore the shots, IMO they actually help further their cause. As always YMMV...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Myself, I took that as further proof they did NOT die in the crash.

How can a random piece of footage inserted by the suits in New York without any input from the creative team "prove" anything, one way or the other, about the story? It is like trying to prove something about a plot point in a novel by referencing the cover art or the jacket copy - both of which are produced by the publisher, often without the input or even knowledge of the writer.

But of course they didn't die in the crash.

If they were already dead and the island was purgatory (and the alternate world was "Purgatory II: This Time Its Personal") then why did everybody have to die again and why did Jacob need to be replaced? Why did Hurley and Ben stay on the island as well as living in the alternate world, and why did they apparently spend years running things there (before finding a replacement for Hurley) if everything realy ended with Jack's second death? There may have been no time in the alternate world, but there sure seemed to be time on the island. Why was there anything "after" Jack's death on the island?

Regards,

Joe

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
You're preaching to the choir, Joe. I never thought the Losties died in the crash. I was simply pointing out the tarp as further proof they DID survive to the folks who insist on believing that the tacked on ABC footage is somehow legitimately part of the Darlton narrative. That's why I tempered my remarks with "...your mileage may vary."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks