What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Lost: Season Six (1 Viewer)

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by TravisR

I could be wrong but some of fake Locke's dialogue (I think when he's standing on the beach talking Ilana when he first woke up in S5) seems to indicate that the Man In Black has been off the island for some time.
Pretty sure that's wrong. Isn't his goal to get off the island?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think the bomb went off in both realities: In the 815-crash reality the bomb exploded but was a kind of "fizzle" and produced "the incident" and all that followed with Dharma, the hatches and the numbers. It also, as a side-effect, triggered Island Magnetic Anomaly 1 (IMA-1) and sent Jack & Co. back to the future. In the "no crash" timeline the bomb goes off full-force (and/or triggers a really big reaction in IMA-1) and sinks the whole island, and therefore 815 flies over it with only a slight "bump" due to the untapped energies of IMA-1, still lurking beneath the spot.

I think the set-up for this season is interesting because it lets the producers have it both ways: They can kill anyone or everyone in the "island" timeline, and yet still give us a happy ending in the "mainland" timeline. Or mix things up. And given that it is the last season, all bets are off and they can do anything they want without worrying about having to bring certain people back next week. Should make for the most unpredictable season yet.

Isn't his goal to get off the island?
I haven't seen anything to suggest what his goal really is. Given that he knew (or claims to know) what John Locke was thinking at the moment of his death, I think the Man in Black was in L.A. when Locke died. (In some sense. In him or with him.) I think he's been off the island repeatedly and that "going home" doesn't mean anything as simple as leaving that place.

Regards,

Joe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Arild

Pretty sure that's wrong. Isn't his goal to get off the island?
It's a stretch for me to say that the Man In Black hasn't been on the island for a long time but in The Life And Death Of Jeremey Bentham, Ilana and 'Locke' talk on the beach and Terry O'Quinn plays it like he's amazed to be on the island (just standing on the beach with the surf hitting his feet, eating a mango and saying it's the best mango he's ever eaten). Granted, O'Quinn is playing the scene without knowing that he's the Man In Black so he's playing it that Locke is amazed to be on the island again. So like I said, it is definitely a stretch for me to say that.

I don't think the Man In The Black's goal is to get off the island. If it was, he could have taken the submarine or turned the donkey wheel.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Last Season there were some print ads that featured a photo of the cast with the island in the background and reflected in the water was the silhouette of a skyline. Did anyone else notice this and what do you think it means?

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Quote:Originally Posted by TravisR ">[/url]

If Christian were the Man In Black, why would he wait around for three years to get someone to kill Jacob? I could be wrong but some of fake Locke's dialogue (I think when he's standing on the beach talking Ilana when he first woke up in S5) seems to indicate that the Man In Black has been off the island for some time.

Well, if the Man in Black is the smoke monster, as was alluded to in the season premiere, than he has been on the island for quite some time. Perhaps "home" is the temple. Judging by Lennon's words to the castaways, "it's to keep him out," it seems like the temple was being fortified against the smoke monster.

I agree about Christian however. I don't believe that all of the apparitions have necessarily been manifestations of the smoke monster. We've actually seen Christian's manifestation in LA, to Jack in the hospital, and to Michael, on the boat before it explodes. At this point in the story we haven't seen any indication the the smoke monster can leave the island, only Christian.
Originally Posted by [b]EricW[/b] [url=/forum/thread/295107/lost-season-six/120#post_3658554]

One more reason to now think Christian is the smoke monster is that there was a webisode (which were written by the creative team and are considered canon) that had Christian telling Vincent the dog to wake up Jack right after the crash. With Christian already being 'awake' immediately after the crash, it seems like it's not his possesed body but that his image is being used.
If Christian is the smoke monster than this seems like either an example of really bad writing, deliberately designed to mislead the viewer, or evidence that the writers really are making it all up as they go along. Vincent has no relationship to Jack or to Christian for that matter, and there would be no reason at all for the smoke monster to take Christian's form to give Vincent instructions. Why not Walt's step father Brian? Or if the image needs to be of someone dead, Walt's mother? Someone that Vincent would recognize and be happy to oblige?

At this point in the timeline, the apparition seemed more interested in guiding Jack, to save survivors on the beach, to the caves and fresh water. I suppose one could argue that this was all part of the smoke monster's drawn out plot to eventually impersonate the dead Locke, but it seems likely that something else is going on.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Last Season there were some print ads that featured a photo of the cast with the island in the background and reflected in the water was the silhouette of a skyline. Did anyone else notice this and what do you think it means?
That was the season 5 logo. It symbolized how some of the action took place on the mainland (the O6 stuff) while the other half (ish) took place on the island.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Gerdes

If Christian is the smoke monster than this seems like either an example of really bad writing, deliberately designed to mislead the viewer, or evidence that the writers really are making it all up as they go along.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that Christian is the Man In Black/Locke smoke monster. I meant that Christian was a smoke monster maybe being used by Jacob to help lead the castaways to their destiny (just like Jacob did in last season's finale).

As for why the smoke monster (if that's what it is) didn't appear as someone Vincent knew, it may be because the smoke monster only appears to be able to impersonate people that are dead bodies on the island. So far, the monster has been Yemi (Eko's brother), Alex, Locke and the Man In Black. The first three people are all dead bodies on the island and you don't know enough about the Man In Black to say yet.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It is quite possible that some of Christian's appearances have been the MiB and others have been Jacob. They both appear to have shape-shifting powers and there's no particular reason they should not use the same disguise for their different ends. Whether or not they "are" both Smokey is another matter. It may be that Smokey is the natural form for both of them, and that - once again - some of "his" appearances have been the manifestation of MiB and others that of Jacob.

Regards,

Joe

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't recall Jacob as smokey. Is this inferred by the fact that smokey has let some people we consider "good" continue to live?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was thinking about Jacob and MIB's diferences and was wondering if they could be like the Babylon 5 Vorlon versus Shadow idea. One wanting Chaos (MIB) one wanting order (Jacob).

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
For those who missed it (and care), here are the links to the Cuse/Lindelof interview on Jimmy Kimmel last week. This is the one where he asks a bunch of good questions--no spoilers though, of course.

Part One
(about 2 minutes in if you just want to zoom through)

Part Two
(about 1 minute in for more questions)

Cuse and Lindelof discuss the numbers, coincidences/fate about the scenes on the plane, and Jacob/Smokey/Nemesis/Sayid.

I also like how one of them is wearing black, and the other white (grey) :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Aldo The Other (who fell for the Wookiee prisoner gag) returns after about 50 episodes only to be killed off.

Sayid saying how they didn't ask him any questions after getting tortured was a pretty covert reference to The Empire Strikes Back.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Ethan was back! And still looking after Claire's baby.

It felt like a slower episode to me, though when it was over, I was surprised. For whatever reason, tonight was the first time I've really felt like Lost is unnecessarily vague. Really. It's like you could ask if someone made their oat meal with water or milk and you'd get back either an empty glare or some kind of obtuse answer like, "Does it matter?" Or, "Either will sustain you." Look, I'm lactose intolerant, so could you for the love of God just answer the friggin' question for once? It just felt like a waste of precious limited time.

Anyway... Next week looks like it picks up again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Reading that Ethan was back sure was a bit eerie since I saw him 'die' tonight in Homecoming. ;) But I remember seeing him in later episodes (flashbacks?) when he was part of the D.I.

I have a question for anyone who owns Lost on DVD. The first four seasons come with a booklet that includes descriptions of each episode. I noticed today, after receiving season four and season five, that the fifth season does not include a booklet. Is this normal, or am I missing my booklet? Thanks.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
So, with what Dogen said about Sayid/Claire, it seems that perhaps Claire really did die in that house explosion when the mercs invaded. It made me think back to how James got pissed at Miles because he was looking at her strangely. He did the same with Sayid, so maybe he noticed something off in them both.

Anyway, I just realized that Dogen is played by the same guy who was the captain of Icarus 2 in Sunshine. I knew he looked familiar, but I'm surprised it took that long to hit me considering how much I love that film.

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Ockeghem 

^^^

Reading that Ethan was back sure was a bit eerie since I saw him 'die' tonight in Homecoming. ;)  But I remember seeing him in later episodes (flashbacks?) when he was part of the D.I.

I have a question for anyone who owns Lost on DVD.  The first four seasons come with a booklet that includes descriptions of each episode.  I noticed today, after receiving season four and season five, that the fifth season does not include a booklet.  Is this normal, or am I missing my booklet?  Thanks.
nope, no booklet in season 5, even though there's a slot where one would go.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
"Say, I'm an escaped convict who hijacked your taxi and recently pointed a gun at you before stealing your bag, but since I came back to give it back to you, would you like a ride in my stolen cab?"

"Sure!"

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
"Meh" episode for me. Would have been totally okay with it normally but it seems kind of late in the game for an episode like that. Ironically the promo at the end said the time for questions is over but it seems that's all we got in this episode.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell

"Say, I'm an escaped convict who hijacked your taxi and recently pointed a gun at you before stealing your bag, but since I came back to give it back to you, would you like a ride in my stolen cab?"

"Sure!"
I agree that this is absurd on its face. However, it again makes me wonder, are these characters experiencing memories from their other reality? Did Clare instinctively trust Kate because some part of her remembers their experience on the island? That's really the only way her behavior makes sense.

On another note it was great seeing Rob McElhenney's Aldo again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks