What's new

Looney Tunes Golden Collection 2 - List of cartoons (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't think I'd want a "complete" set devoted to just one character. I think it would be too much to watch 55-60 cartoon shorts containing the same character. I'm glad they're spreading these out.

These Golden Collections are perfect. They offer a very nice variety so people won't get bored with just one thing. Take the first set for example. The first disc contained 14 Bugs Bunny shorts, which was the perfect amount. The second disc focussed on Porky Pig & Daffy.....a beautiful mixture of cartoons there. Then disc 3 & 4 had a mixed bag of all the favorites. Perfect.

A set with just one character would be a little too monotonous for me, and it would probably take a great deal of time to get through something like that. That's only my opinion anyway.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I don't think I'd want a "complete" set devoted to just one character. I think it would be too much to watch 55-60 cartoon shorts containing the same character. I'm glad they're spreading these out.

These Golden Collections are perfect. They offer a very nice variety so people won't get bored with just one thing. Take the first set for example. The first disc contained 14 Bugs Bunny shorts, which was the perfect amount. The second disc focussed on Porky Pig & Daffy.....a beautiful mixture of cartoons there. Then disc 3 & 4 had a mixed bag of all the favorites. Perfect.

A set with just one character would be a little too monotonous for me, and it would probably take a great deal of time to get through something like that. That's only my opinion anyway.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Hopefully a release day purchase. Excellent list without using up the options box for an awesome third volume. :)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Hopefully a release day purchase. Excellent list without using up the options box for an awesome third volume. :)

Joseph G.

Agent
I'm really excited about this one, The first golden collection is one of if not the best tv on dvd box set I own. Warner truly did a great job with the first volume, just as I'm sure they will do with the 2nd volume. Can't wait, immediate must buy!

Joseph G.

Agent
I'm really excited about this one, The first golden collection is one of if not the best tv on dvd box set I own. Warner truly did a great job with the first volume, just as I'm sure they will do with the 2nd volume. Can't wait, immediate must buy!

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I'm glad to see "Dover Boys" made the cut...the first classic Chuck Jones cartoon.

I was also hoping for "Miss Glory" (the first classic Avery), but you can't have everything.

I wonder if "Have You Got Any Castles" will include the original opening with the Alexander Wolcott caricature. Does that footage even exist anymore?

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I'm glad to see "Dover Boys" made the cut...the first classic Chuck Jones cartoon.

I was also hoping for "Miss Glory" (the first classic Avery), but you can't have everything.

I wonder if "Have You Got Any Castles" will include the original opening with the Alexander Wolcott caricature. Does that footage even exist anymore?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
No "Transylvainia 6-5000"? Bummer! One of my favs! Other than that, looks like another excellent set! :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
No "Transylvainia 6-5000"? Bummer! One of my favs! Other than that, looks like another excellent set! :D

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Not only that, but it's a shrewd business move for WB. Just think: everybody knows a Bugs Bunny set would sell well, but would a Speedy Gonzales set or a Tweety set sell equally as well as Bugs? Most likely not.

By mixing things up a bit, they can spread out their more popular characters (Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner) over the course of many more releases, and at the same time, sprinkle in lesser-known characters and stand-alone cartoons (just like you mix in a few of the "stinkers" with the classics, because who is going to buy a set that has a huge proportion of unpopular 'toons on it).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Not only that, but it's a shrewd business move for WB. Just think: everybody knows a Bugs Bunny set would sell well, but would a Speedy Gonzales set or a Tweety set sell equally as well as Bugs? Most likely not.

By mixing things up a bit, they can spread out their more popular characters (Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner) over the course of many more releases, and at the same time, sprinkle in lesser-known characters and stand-alone cartoons (just like you mix in a few of the "stinkers" with the classics, because who is going to buy a set that has a huge proportion of unpopular 'toons on it).

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

This can be said for about 99% of all theatrical motion pictures; doesn't mean that if you can only see it on TV, it's a TV product. These shorts were made for theatrical distribution and were originally shown in theaters. They are no different than any motion picture that they were shown in front of. You wouldn't put Psycho, for example, in a TV forum, would you, although for most people they could only see the film on TV for the past 40 years. These shorts have nothing to do with TV and this thread should be mereged with the one that's in HT Software forum. It's sad that people think Looney Tunes is a freaking TV show!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

This can be said for about 99% of all theatrical motion pictures; doesn't mean that if you can only see it on TV, it's a TV product. These shorts were made for theatrical distribution and were originally shown in theaters. They are no different than any motion picture that they were shown in front of. You wouldn't put Psycho, for example, in a TV forum, would you, although for most people they could only see the film on TV for the past 40 years. These shorts have nothing to do with TV and this thread should be mereged with the one that's in HT Software forum. It's sad that people think Looney Tunes is a freaking TV show!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I agree with ya Paul, 100%. These are theatrical shorts, not "TV Shows". I butted heads over this several months ago (the thread probably still exists) to no avail. Even a mod I PMed didn't care (or even understand the distinction!). So I've tried to rein in my armchair moderating, as hard as it is to do so! :)

Nevertheless, I'm limiting my commentary on the Looney Tunes DVDs to the thread over in the proper forum ;)

P.S. To be fair, a few of the bonus features in the first set were of television origin. But that's the case with many DVD bonus features, "HBO First Look" featurettes and what have you.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I agree with ya Paul, 100%. These are theatrical shorts, not "TV Shows". I butted heads over this several months ago (the thread probably still exists) to no avail. Even a mod I PMed didn't care (or even understand the distinction!). So I've tried to rein in my armchair moderating, as hard as it is to do so! :)

Nevertheless, I'm limiting my commentary on the Looney Tunes DVDs to the thread over in the proper forum ;)

P.S. To be fair, a few of the bonus features in the first set were of television origin. But that's the case with many DVD bonus features, "HBO First Look" featurettes and what have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks