What's new

Looney Tunes BD Platinum 1-3 compared to DVD Golden Collection 1-6? (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
In all this time of being a rather devoted Blu-ray collector, I realized that I don't own any of the Looney Tunes cartoons on Blu-ray.

I was rather pleased to find that the Platinum collections #1-3 on Blu-ray were available on Amazon and Best buy between $17-$20 each. So, I just ordered the three Platinum collections.

My question is, does the Blu-ray Platinum Collections replicate the DVD Golden Collections?

In other words, is every short that are on the Golden Collections available on the Platinum?

If there is anything missing from the Platinum Collections, is it anything major?

I also see that Warner has a MOUSE CHRONICLES which I will also be picking up within the next week or two.

I am not into Tom and Jerry, so there didn't seem to be anything else that I thought I should investigate while doing an Amazon search for Warner cartoons.

In advance, thanks for the help.
The answer is you need both sets ,the Blue Rays don't cover all the stuff included in the dvd set.plus there's the porky pig set which is a must

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I don't know if this helps, but I saw the first two Golden Collections at Walmart a few days ago for $10 each. They're not in the slipcases; they're in newer, thinner clamshells, but you can't beat the price. I don't know offhand how many of the shorts off of the first two Golden sets didn't make it onto the Platinum releases.
That is an amazing price . There not online at walmart so they must just be in select stores . I will for sure look out for them , I like the fact there are slimmer cased .

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They weren't $10 here, but the $15 price I paid today at my Walmart for the first two volumes of the Golden Collections still was a great deal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
They weren't $10 here, but the $15 price I paid today at my Walmart for the first two volumes of the Golden Collections still was a great deal.

Thanks for the heads up.
Each or total ? I would venture out and hit all the Walmarts in my area but its too cold . lol
The walmarts around here stink and have tiny little sections for dvd & blus. I'm not expecting to find them .

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sorry about that, I meant they were each that price.

I think they rung up at $14.97 each to be exact. With prices trending upwards apparently, this was a good way for me to finally get started with building a Looney Tunes collection on DVD/Blu-Ray after years of dragging my feet.

Other than the obvious next four volumes of the Golden Collections line, the three Platinum Collections on Blu-Ray, and the Porky Pig collection, is there anything else to buy?

As a follower of this forum, I'm aware there have been lots of single disc releases which have mostly recycled content from their more premium collections. But I assume they've also gone the Peanuts on DVD route and manage to sneak in a new to DVD/BR cartoon here and there to get us collectors to double dip on stuff we already own?

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Sorry about that, I meant they were each that price.

I think they rung up at $14.97 each to be exact. With prices trending upwards apparently, this was a good way for me to finally get started with building a Looney Tunes collection on DVD/Blu-Ray after years of dragging my feet.

Other than the obvious next four volumes of the Golden Collections line, the three Platinum Collections on Blu-Ray, and the Porky Pig collection, is there anything else to buy?

As a follower of this forum, I'm aware there have been lots of single disc releases which have mostly recycled content from their more premium collections. But I assume they've also gone the Peanuts on DVD route and manage to sneak in a new to DVD/BR cartoon here and there to get us collectors to double dip on stuff we already own?

Thanks .

The ones you have listed are the essential I think , Only other ones I have are

Looney Tunes Super Stars Vol. 1 3pk DVD
Looney Tunes Super Stars Vol. 2 3pk DVD
These can be had for under $10 each at Amazon which is not bad for 6 dvds . It covers a lot not on the sets we have , Some are known for being cropped but this is really the only way to get them I believe .
Again if you get them in these slimmed down 3 packs there a great deal .

Other 2 that may be nice to add are
Looney Tunes Super Stars Sylvester and Hippety Hopper $5
Looney Tunes Pepe Le Pew Collection Under $5 best buy has it and free shipping .

There are some newer episodes on some of these dvds but should not be to much of a problem .

It would have been nice if they continued the blu-ray volumes but it's been dry since 2014 .

Them doing individual character dvds will make you Looney and lose your mind after awhile , LOL . :)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
To get the bulk of what's been released you need:

The Golden Collection - 1 to 6
The Platinum Collection - 1 to 3 (duplicates of some Golden Collection shorts but enough new to be worthwhile - especially if you can find them on sale - go for the BR over the DVD for this series as it has more).
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire - a DVD set of 15 new-to-DVD Bugs Bunny cartoons. These are all WS with some having been cropped from 4:3. IMHO the cropping is horrible and you lose information. Unfortunately it's the only way to get these shorts.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl - a DVD set of 15 new-to-DVD Daffy Duck cartoons. Like the above Bugs set these are all WS with most having been cropped from 4:3.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Foghorn Leghorn & Friends: Barnyard Bigmouth - a DVD set of eight new-to-DVD Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, one previously-on-DVD Foghorn cartoon ("A Broken Leghorn"), and six additional new-to-DVD cartoons. Many of these have WS presentations but, finally, they offer the choice of watching cropped WS or original 4:3.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote: Supergenius Hijinks - DVD contains 15 Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons, 11 of which are new to disk. 7 of the 15 shorts are 1994 or newer creations. The others are from 1966. Choice of WS or 4:3 viewing.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Pepé Le Pew: Zee Best of Zee Best - DVD features all 17 Pepé Le Pew cartoons, 14 new-to-DVD. Choice of WS or 4:3 on the post 1953 shorts. The pre 1953 shorts are 4:3 only.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Porky & Friends: Hilarious Ham - a DVD of 18 cartoons, with most of them featuring Porky Pig. 16 of the shorts are new to DVD. All are presented 4:3 only.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Sylvester & Hippety Hopper: Marsupial Mayhem - a DVD featuring 18 newly remastered cartoons of Sylvester's pairings with Hippety Hopper and/or his son, Sylvester, Jr., 15 new to DVD. 4:3 only.

The following 2 "Super Stars" collections consist of entirely reissued shorts - no new product.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy - a DVD of 15 Sylvester and Tweety cartoons previously available in the Golden Collections. All 4:3.
Looney Tunes Super Stars' Bugs Bunny: Wascally Wabbit is a DVD of 15 Bugs Bunny cartoons previously available in the Golden Collections. All 4:3.

My understanding of the "Spotlight Collection" releases is they are all repackagings of "The Golden Collection" sets as 2 disc versions with each containing half of a respective "Golden Collection" release. If you have "The Golden Collection" sets these are not needed.

And there are dozens of shorts on various WB movie releases. Some on these collections, some not. I don't have a list of those.

If you pick up those 2 3-packs of repackaged "Super Stars" discs you'll only need the "Pepé Le Pew" and "Sylvester & Hippety Hopper" singles to have all of those with new-to-disc shorts.

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I'd like to add the previously mentioned LOONEY TUNES MOUSE CHRONICLES: THE CHUCK JONES COLLECTION to the above list. It's available on Blu and DVD. It features 30 cartoons and includes 19 remastered cartoons directed by Chuck Jones featuring Sniffles and Hubie & Bertie. The disc also contains 11 additional "mouse" cartoons from other WB directors.

Of the 30 total cartoons, 20 cartoons are new to disc.

There are 6 cartoons repeated from various Golden and Platinum Collections.

Others include "The Mice Will Play" which appeared on the Bette Davis JEZEBEL disc.
"Shop, Look & Listen" was on the TOO MANY GIRLS disc (part of the WB Lucille Ball Collection).
"Mouse-Taken Identity" can be found on the Looney Tunes Super Star set with Sylvester & Hippety Hopper.
"Mice Follies" previously appeared on one of WB's "Saturday Morning Cartoons of the '60s" as part of the Porky Pig TV series collection.

There are some great cartoons on this set ranging from 1935 up to 1967.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I ordered the WB DVD of "On Moonlight Bay" specifically to get the great LT short "A Hound For Trouble" starring Charlie Dog. As far as I know, that cartoon has never been in any of the other DVD LT collections.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I ordered the WB DVD of "On Moonlight Bay" specifically to get the great LT short "A Hound For Trouble" starring Charlie Dog. As far as I know, that cartoon has never been in any of the other DVD LT collections.

I did the same. Ordered a copy of KNUTE ROCKNE, ALL AMERICAN to get a copy of "Porky's Baseball Broadcast:.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
It looks like all 6 sets are getting a re-issue probably what Walmart has all ready been selling ? I have not been able to find any of those sets in store . barnes and noble and deep discount are showing pre-orders for 1/28/20 for individual sets . It was much cheaper to by the big 6 volume set a while back on Amazon but that price is close to $100 now . They have not had a price drop in months , Anything under seems to all be junk counterfeits that people are still buying like crazy according to ebay . Amazon finally stopped letting bootleggers sell , I would think WB would want to do something about why it's a huge bootlegged item on ebay . With all the money there losing I think they could have continued the bluray sets ... I guess they just don't care .

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I received the golden collection box volume 1-6 today from Amazon , They have it for $80 . Pretty good price at about $13 a volume .

I was kinda wondering about the upc and making sure its the real one . It says 356 episode on the box which is suppose to be the real box .

This is from Amazon LLC. not a third party . It has a sticker over the UPC sticker which looks like a manufactures UPC not a 3rd party with 883929210107 over the 883929210145 . Does anyone know why they did this ? I have not opened it yet to see if they are real or not .

Was this repacked after the 2011 release ?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I received the golden collection box volume 1-6 today from Amazon , They have it for $80 . Pretty good price at about $13 a volume .

I was kinda wondering about the upc and making sure its the real one . It says 356 episode on the box which is suppose to be the real box .

This is from Amazon LLC. not a third party . It has a sticker over the UPC sticker which looks like a manufactures UPC not a 3rd party with 883929210107 over the 883929210145 . Does anyone know why they did this ? I have not opened it yet to see if they are real or not .

Was this repacked after the 2011 release ?

Link to the amazon listing?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sometimes places put a upc sticker that’s their own bar code.
Maybe this set was put together by Amazon so they could sell it themselves as an exclusive

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
^For some reason I forget about that set when talking Looney Tunes. It's very good and essential to a LT collection!

Bob, can you comment on the 1980s movies: Road Runner/Bugs, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny ,Fantastic Island, ect?

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I'm not finding up to date info on the I love tweety vol 1-3 Japan dvds . All 3 sets can be bought for just under $40 shipped from japan amazon . I'm trying to find out if the at time 14 tunes that were never released on dvd here have made it onto a dvd or bluray since ? Forget about the space jam , I don't want that at all . I'd rather have these japan disc if there worth the purchase .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks