What's new

Looney Tunes BD Platinum 1-3 compared to DVD Golden Collection 1-6? (2 Viewers)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'm not finding up to date info on the I love tweety vol 1-3 Japan dvds . All 3 sets can be bought for just under $40 shipped from japan amazon . I'm trying to find out if the at time 14 tunes that were never released on dvd here have made it onto a dvd or bluray since ? Forget about the space jam , I don't want that at all . I'd rather have these japan disc if there worth the purchase .

Are you referring to the "Space Jam" movie or the "Stars Of Space Jam" cartoon compilations?

There is (or was) a 2-disc deluxe edition of "Space Jam" with a bunch of bonus cartoons on it as extras. They are shorts produced in the 1980s and 1990s in the spirit of the classic cartoons. The shorts included are:

Another Froggy Evening
Invasion Of The Bunny Snatchers
The Night Of The Living Duck
The Duxorcist

Also included is a late 1980s TV special, "Bugs Vs. Daffy: Battle Of The Music Video Stars."

So none of this really qualifies as classic era stuff, but it's a good chunk of the "revival" cartoons.

There also was a VHS box set in the 1990s called "Stars Of Space Jam" consisting of classic cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Tweety & Sylvester, Road Runner and the Tasmanian Devil. For some reason, "a version of" this set was released on DVD in the last few years, but a few cartoons from the original set were left off or replaced with other cartoons. There are some cartoons which are unique to these.

As far as the "I Love Tweety" Japan DVDs, I found this rundown:

According to "The Bugs Bunny Video Guide," the following cartoons are still unique to these Japanese DVDs:

Volume 1
Catty Cornered
Greedy For Tweety
Jet Cage, The
Muzzle Tough
Tweety's Circus
Street Cat Named Sylvester, A

Volume 2
Tweet And Lovely
Fowl Weather

Volume 3
Pizza Tweety Pie, A
Hawaiian Aye-Aye
Bird In A Bonnet, A
Rebel Without Claws, The

So still a significant number. Only two cartoons from this series (both on Volume 2) are so far unique (in the U.S.) to the "Stars Of Space Jam" Tweety & Sylvester disc: "Tree Cornered Tweety" and "Tweet Zoo."

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Are you referring to the "Space Jam" movie or the "Stars Of Space Jam" cartoon compilations?

There is (or was) a 2-disc deluxe edition of "Space Jam" with a bunch of bonus cartoons on it as extras. They are shorts produced in the 1980s and 1990s in the spirit of the classic cartoons. The shorts included are:

Another Froggy Evening
Invasion Of The Bunny Snatchers
The Night Of The Living Duck
The Duxorcist

Also included is a late 1980s TV special, "Bugs Vs. Daffy: Battle Of The Music Video Stars."

So none of this really qualifies as classic era stuff, but it's a good chunk of the "revival" cartoons.

There also was a VHS box set in the 1990s called "Stars Of Space Jam" consisting of classic cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Tweety & Sylvester, Road Runner and the Tasmanian Devil. For some reason, "a version of" this set was released on DVD in the last few years, but a few cartoons from the original set were left off or replaced with other cartoons. There are some cartoons which are unique to these.

As far as the "I Love Tweety" Japan DVDs, I found this rundown:

According to "The Bugs Bunny Video Guide," the following cartoons are still unique to these Japanese DVDs:

Volume 1
Catty Cornered
Greedy For Tweety
Jet Cage, The
Muzzle Tough
Tweety's Circus
Street Cat Named Sylvester, A

Volume 2
Tweet And Lovely
Fowl Weather

Volume 3
Pizza Tweety Pie, A
Hawaiian Aye-Aye
Bird In A Bonnet, A
Rebel Without Claws, The

So still a significant number. Only two cartoons from this series (both on Volume 2) are so far unique (in the U.S.) to the "Stars Of Space Jam" Tweety & Sylvester disc: "Tree Cornered Tweety" and "Tweet Zoo."

Thank you for all that info . I'm definitely getting those japan dvds , Are there other japan dvds that are essential to have of Looney tunes ?

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Are the Stars of Space Jam Collection Vol. 1 (DVD) compressed to fit 30 ? Compared to buying them separately this seems like a nice bargain price then having to buy all 5 of them individually .

Are these so far the ones to have ? Digital no vhs .

We got 4 blu-ray sets , with Bugs bunny's 80th .

The Golden collections 1-6 dvds
Superstar collections vol 1 & 2 (the repackaged ones save space) dvds
Stars of space jam dvds repackaged vol 1 . (missing marvin the martian which was on old vhs )
I love Tweety vol 1-3 Japan dvds
Porky 101 dvd set

Looks like there still stuff on the old laserdiscs that have not made it onto dvd or bluray . I have a player but not sure I really want to seek out he discs .

I sure wish warner archives would start getting some stuff out on blu-ray to not have so many dvds and so many repeats .

But i'll take what we can get .

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Are the Stars of Space Jam Collection Vol. 1 (DVD) compressed to fit 30 ? Compared to buying them separately this seems like a nice bargain price then having to buy all 5 of them individually .

Stars of space jam dvds repackaged vol 1 . (missing marvin the martian which was on old vhs )
Porky 101 dvd set

Looks like there still stuff on the old laserdiscs that have not made it onto dvd or bluray . I have a player but not sure I really want to seek out he discs .

I sure wish warner archives would start getting some stuff out on blu-ray to not have so many dvds and so many repeats .

Plus the chuck Jones Mouse chronicles blu-ray

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Porky 101 dvd set

I sure wish warner archives would start getting some stuff out on blu-ray to not have so many dvds and so many repeats.

I picked up the "Stars Of Space Jam" DVDs about a year ago because they were in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. Is there some kind of newer DVD version than those? (They were individual volumes.)

I have never got the Platinum sets. Thinking about it now depending on the price. But I just couldn't justify shelling out for a "hit the reset button" release with the majority of the cartoons repeated from the Golden Collections. I didn't like the idea of re-buying a bunch of stuff I already have in order to get a few "new" ones, even though it was another format. And then releasing them on DVD made those sets seem even more pointless.

They should have just released the same compilations of cartoons that were on the Golden Collections, but on Blu-Ray. And then another smaller set with new-to-video shorts. I think it's possible, even likely, that the heavy double-dip content contributed greatly to the lower sales they got.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
This thread reminded me of some quick math I did when the Bugs Bunny 80th anniversary BD was announced, but I forgot to share it.

The Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs contained 60 cartoons each, and they were released one volume per year. There are pretty much exactly 1,000 LT/MM cartoons total (1,002 or 1,003 depending on how you count). This means it would require 17 volumes, at the same configuration, to complete the series. Volume 1 came out in 2003 which means the volume that completed the series, if there was one and if they continued at one per year, would have been released last year.

I can only imagine how differently things might look today if Warner had spent all these years restoring and releasing this library instead of complaining about sales justifications. They would have worked on them continuously, yes, but slowly and surely which would have been the easiest of sticker shocks for them. We'd be happy, the set coming this year could be a complete collection Blu-ray debut instead of the best o' Bugs, and Warner would be reaping the benefits of a complete HD library they could package for streaming and cable reruns.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
This thread reminded me of some quick math I did when the Bugs Bunny 80th anniversary BD was announced, but I forgot to share it.

The Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs contained 60 cartoons each, and they were released one volume per year. There are pretty much exactly 1,000 LT/MM cartoons total (1,002 or 1,003 depending on how you count). This means it would require 17 volumes, at the same configuration, to complete the series. Volume 1 came out in 2003 which means the volume that completed the series, if there was one and if they continued at one per year, would have been released last year.

I can only imagine how differently things might look today if Warner had spent all these years restoring and releasing this library instead of complaining about sales justifications. They would have worked on them continuously, yes, but slowly and surely which would have been the easiest of sticker shocks for them. We'd be happy, the set coming this year could be a complete collection Blu-ray debut instead of the best o' Bugs, and Warner would be reaping the benefits of a complete HD library they could package for streaming and cable reruns.

All of this sounds wonderful. I would have loved to see the Warner cartoons released like the Disney Treasures (except not in limited editions and not with self-destructing DVDs that eventually won't play any more)!

But as I recall, (1) the first volume (which isn't even called "Volume 1") was released along with warnings of how its sales would determine WHETHER there would be future volumes. Although it was full of fan favorites, to some extent the selection of cartoons was partly dictated by which cartoons already had been restored. (That said, they went back to the color separations to restore them and if you remember how the 'pre-1948s" looked on TV, the restoration was just jaw-dropping.)

Then (2) there was a ridiculous outcry with bad reviews from people upset that two cartoons ("What's Opera Doc" and "One Froggy Evening") weren't included, but (3) thankfully, they made the second volume.

But (4) with such a large library, most of the "fan favorites" got used up pretty quickly. If they had continued with the Golden Collections, eventually the later volumes might have looked something like the final "Golden Age Of Looney Tunes" laserdisc set, i.e. for hardcore completists only.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I was going through the Stars Of Space Jam" vol 1 DVD of the 30 tunes disc , Only ones that are needed are ,

1)Apes of wraith was corrected from a a widescreen crop done on Hare Extraordinaire dvd ,Bugs (It Sucks they did not add this to bugs 80th set )
2)Boston Quackie , Daffy
3)Zip n Snort , road runner
4)Hot rod and reel , road runner

And if anyone does not have the superior Japan I love Tweety dvds vol 1 -3 (All remastered)

5) Tree cornered Tweety (unremastered), t&s
6) Tweet Zoo (unremastered) , t&s

At $12.50 at Amazon for the 30 tunes collection it's not bad but really only get 4-6 Tunes that are not available anywhere else .

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I was going through the Stars Of Space Jam" vol 1 DVD of the 30 tunes disc , Only ones that are needed are ,

1)Apes of wraith was corrected from a a widescreen crop done on Hare Extraordinaire dvd ,Bugs (It Sucks they did not add this to bugs 80th set )
2)Boston Quackie , Daffy
3)Zip n Snort , road runner
4)Hot rod and reel , road runner

And if anyone does not have the superior Japan I love Tweety dvds vol 1 -3 (All remastered)

5) Tree cornered Tweety (unremastered), t&s
6) Tweet Zoo (unremastered) , t&s

At $12.50 at Amazon for the 30 tunes collection it's not bad but really only get 4-6 Tunes that are not available anywhere else .

What is this "30 tunes disc?" The ones I have are on separate DVDs with about a half dozen cartoons on each.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I left links to Amazon for it but the links are not coming out ,Not sure why .

Its just all 5 discs put on to one Dual Layer dvd and for some reason they call it volume one . Again your only getting a few tunes that we don't have anywhere else . The 2 main ones for me are
Apes of wraith (not widescreen) & Boston Quackie .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks