Looks like Half-Life 2 will be announced very, very soon..............

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jean-Michel, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Someone check the temperature in hell, please. Is that a pig that just flew by? Seriously, did Rockstar sell off the GTA franchise to Nintendo? [​IMG]

I'll believe it when it happens.

4. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

It seems legit, and I've heard that the NDA agreements expire on April 28 -- I guess we'll know by then. But what engine are they using, which platform, and when will it be released?

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

July? Woah. That somehow seems quick, despite the fact that it's been 4 or 5 years.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Like I said, allegedly. There's a lot of conjecture going around that it's going to be MUCH sooner than people suspect - literally just a few months - rather than Christmas.

We'll all find out soon enough, I'm not getting bent out of shape by the hype for an announcement...

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I really hope there is an Xbox version released very close to the PC premiere. I don't want to upgrade my entire PC for one game again - unfortunately, HL2 would be a game that demands it [​IMG]

9. Jean-Michel

10. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

Wow, this beats DoomIII to the punch. Maybe I will be upgrading sooner than later.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I have to admit the part I am most excited about isn't the next Half Life story installment, but curiousity about the engine and tools themselves. The last one gave us DoD, CS, TF, and so many others -- they must be planning some fan service for the mod community this time around.

What if it shipped with a totally new version of CS that ran on the new updated engine with new cheater protection? Man, I would just jump for joy! What if the Xbox version of CS to launch this year was actually based on the HL2 engine instead of the old one? Too many questions, I can't wait for the skinny at E3.

Yet another year of entertainment induced poverty. *Sigh*

12. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Wow, that's amazing internal security -- to think they could have this out by the end of the year and NO ONE seriously expected it. That's a stark contrast to 3d Realms. I can't wait to see what this engine looks like.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Because of the HDD on the X-Box, I expect there to be mods made by Valve and have them be released (probably on demo discs, like they did for the PS2 Half-Life mod).

14. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

IF it's coming to X-box -- no word yet. Although I must admit, I'd be seriously hacked off it was an X-box exclusive, even though I have one.

15. Jean-Michel

16. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ooh, nice, I will have to wait until I graduate to upgrade my computer, but I can hang on. Half-Life 2 will be competing with "Mario Kart is finished" for biggest surprise of E3 if both turn out to be true [​IMG].

I'm looking forward to both the mods AND the story. I loved the single-player in Half-Life, it was gripping stuff and I can only presume Valve has gotten better at it than before.

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The biggest surprise they could pull off at E3 would be Metal Gear Solid 3 on GameCube without Raiden. Anything less won't be surprising for me.

18. James T

James T Screenwriter

Is Team Fortress 2 still coming out?

19. Jean-Michel

Here's the teaser for the upcoming issue of the Dutch gaming mag PC Gameplay (due on April 28th):

[​IMG]

Note the new character (who is apparently unplayable in the single-player mode). Also note the last line of the red text on the right, which evidently translates to "Best of all, you'll be able to get your hands on it by the end of the year!" Wow.

Edit: For U.S. readers, both CGW and PC Gamer will have this as their cover story next month. The new issue of CGW will ship to subscribers tomorrow and will appear at newsstands on May 6; PC Gamer will be at newsstands May 8.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Given the ending of Half-Life, I wonder how this one will start out and play through.