What's new
World Wide Stereo

Looking for some positive reinforcement (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I am considering buying a diy sub from a friend of mine. He has a shiva in a 3.3cu ft box. box is double walled with 3/4 mdf(so 1 1/2 in walls) and internally braced. Professionally painted in piano gloss black. Forward firing sealed cinfiguration. Q of about .6. This would be my first diy sub(even though I would be buying it complete.) It is a passive sub, and I would be powering it with the A350-Special Edition. I just sold my infinity sub(entra 2) and am wondering if this sub will do a better job in HT? I have a pretty small room, but it's open at one end to the rest of the apt. Just trying to make sure I can get clean loud bass(to about 25Hz) from this sub. Any input would be appreciated!

Nick

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
if he is your friend, have him bring it over and see how it sounds then if it sounds good buy it :D

I know we all like to lug around 150 lbs subs, at least i do

PeterV

Agent
Nick,
For the past 2 years I have been using a 222 litre ported Tempest tuned to 17Hz (adire alignment). Our room size is 13'x 17'x 8.5'ceiling with 5'x7' opening into a dining room. Earlier this year, my son and I built a 67 litre sealed Shiva for his vehicle. Prior to installing it in the vehicle we tested it out in the same room that the Tempest is in, for a couple weeks, listening to music and movies. We were definitely impressed with its performance. Not as low as the Tempest for movies, but no slouch either, and for music was excellent. We had it hooked up to the same amp as the Tempest; AVA 250.
Depending on your room size?; with that alignment and amp, you should be impressed!
PeterV

Nick L

Second Unit
I demo'd the sub at my friends house. It sounded beautiful. So I went ahead and picked it up. I couldn't be happier right now, except I have to save more money to buy the amp:) .
He also had three different pairs of diy speakers on hand that we listened to. It seems the diy bug is about to infect another person. His budget speakers the JH3's sounded so good. I can't believe how good they sounded for the little money they cost. I would definitely love to build a pair of these soon. He also had a reference pair of the same design, that uses more expensive componants and a different cross over. They also were very impressive, but a bit much for a first speaker. Too bad my apartment doesn't have a wood working room.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks