What's new

Looking for DVD-A player...Video unimportant (1 Viewer)

Roderick S

Auditioning
I'm looking for a good DVD-A player. I think I'm going to get the Sony P9000ES and buy a seperate SACD and DVD-A player. I think you can get better performance by using seperate players for each format.
I plan on getting either the Sony 777es or 555es for SACD. Now I need help with the DVD-A side. I've narrowed my choices down to the Denon 3800, Rotel RDV-1080, Pioneer Elite 38A, Panasonic 91 and the Onyko 939......
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I plan on using the Sony player as my primary CD player for regular cds. I also plan on purchasing a external scaler so I'm not worried about video performance of the player, strictly audio.
rod:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you don't need bass management in the player try to track down a Technics DVD-A10. Do a lot of searches, I think someone may have them still on sale new somewhere, or buy used. It's a really great DVD-Audio machine.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you think that you will get better performance from separate DVD-A and SACD players? Granted, the Apex is a piece of stinkin' doo-doo, but then Apex isn't exactly known as a high quality manufacturer.

Of the DVD/DVD-A units you have listed, I think the best one will probably be the Denon. I say this mostly because of Denon's reputation, since the unit is not yet released. I do have a Denon DVM-4800 and have been quite satisfied with its' performance as a DVD-A player. In addition, the 3800 is likely to have excellent video performance due to its' use of the latest DVDO/Silicon Image chip for handling de-interlacing and its' use of an MPEG decoder which does not have the chroma bug.

Roderick S

Auditioning
I think I will get better performance based on my prior experience of moving to seperates.
When I added a outboard amp to my Sony DA50ES receiver, I was very suprised at the difference in sound quality. I have (3) Parasound 1201A monoblock amps which where rated only 10watts higher than the Sony. These amps have been trashed on the net so I was not expecting any improvement. I was wrong. The improvements were great across the board. More precise image placement, ability to play louder without harshness and a much tighter bottom end.
I also borrowed a Sony E9000ES processor because it has all the same processing fields my receiver uses. It just sounded better to my ears.
I think the differences in amps is probably greater than a combo vs (2) seperate players but I really, really think the Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player is a very special player. Not only for SACDS but redbook as well. I've compared it to a Meridian and a SimAudio at a dealer here in Dallas using Thiel and JMLab speakers and preferred the Sony. The SimAudio was very good also but does not play SACD.
Finally. At the end of the year when more and more combo units arrive, I should be able to pick up some of the older units such as the 777ES or Denon at a large discount as they are being discontinued.:D
I've even given strong consideration to buying a SONY SCD-1 if the price drops low enough.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks