Good universal DVD changers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Keith_R, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I'm considering on moving into the high rez audio thing. I'd also like to upgrade my four year old DVD player to a bigger changer, thus I'm considering one of the new universal changer machines.

Viewing will be off a smallish analog 4:3 Tv using composite video (yes, I know it sucks but unfortunately my screen lacks S-Video or component) so for the time being I don't really require a machine with the greatest PQ free of little to no artifacts, though, I do want something that still looks respectable on my Tv.

I can't really take advantage of progressive scan right now so it is an unimportant feature at the moment. However, I plan on getting a new HDTV in the next year so it would probably be wise to have a DVD player that is capable of taking full advantage of my next screen.

The biggest things I want are: a bigger changer than my current two disc changer, universal format capabilities(a machine with good bass management is also a plus),decent PQ and Audio quality (not over the top high-end though because my current rig won't get the full benefit), and DD5.1 as well as DTS. My price is between $300 and $600.

Are there any changers out there in this price that will do what I want? I'm kind of interested in the Onkyo Dv-cp802 but have not been able to find any reviews for it. What changers can you all recommend?

Thanks!

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    In the price range and for decent performance, universal changers pretty much start and end with the Onkyo and the Yamaha 750C. There is a thread on a comparison of each of these players in here--someone was looking for the same thing as you. Also, on Audioholics, they have a review of the Yamaha and it gets great marks, especially at its price.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

I just saw the review of the Yamaha and it looks pretty decent at a good price. I'll take a closer look at the Yamaha.