What's new

Extras these days! (Just picked up Superman and Josie and the Pussycats) (1 Viewer)

Chris T. Kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! Just picked up these discs tonight even though they have been out a while now, and I am IMPRESSED.
Let me stand on a soap box. I remember picking up my first DVD player - just about the entire collection of currently available DVDs were on a single rack nearby. Rather then thinking of what movie I wanted to buy first, it was something along the lines of looking at all the available movies and finding the ones I liked.
Flash to present - DVD players are cheap. DIRT CHEAP compared to when I bought mine. Movies that seemed would *never* hit DVD in the eyes of adopters of the "new" medium (i.e. the people of this forum) have finally started down the DVD road. "And there was much rejoicing."
One thing that has been a topic of conversation throughout the years of DVD is that of extras on the disc. Me? I LOVE extras, but I am happy to own the medium in a high resolution, digital, non-degrading format. (The Robotech DVDs aren't spectacular by ANY means....but I *know* I am buying all of them) Many other people believe they have been ripped off if they only get a movie with a theatrical trailer and a few language options. My point? How about this! -
My first disc of the night: Josie and the Pussycats. I really enjoyed this movie. It is a "happy" movie and is very funny. I picked it up for the purpose of just watching the movie. Of course, there is also the fact that it has Rachael Leigh Cook in it..... Anyway - then I flipped the DVD case over. GOODNESS! Check this out:
Movie is presented in 1.85:1 Anamorphic widescreen on a dual layered disc.
BOTH Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS tracks are on the disc.
There is:
- Feature Length commentary with the directors & producer. (This is a favorite "extra" of mine for ANY movie)
- "Backstage Pass" (Behind the scenes/making of type thing)
- Deleted Scenes (always fun to see)
- 3 Music videos (1 Josie & P.C. & 2 of Dujour)
- Theatrical Trailer
- Production Notes
- Cast and Filmmakers
- DVD-ROM content (although this wasn't *too* impressive)
How much? $22.99. Retail. Best Buy. I couldn't complain if you beat me with a stick. Shoot make this the "standard" for putting a DVD together for crying out loud! Excellent.
Well goodness, Chris - if this is a new base for DVDs, where do you go from there?
Enter the Superman DVD. I am sure that this was talked about *majorly* on the forum when it was released on DVD, but let me get my own brag time in.
The film is in widescreen (16:9 enhanced) with a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack & includes *many* deleted scenes.
Extras:
- Feature-length Director Commentary (oh yes!)
- Music Only track. (Which should be a requirement for a movie with this score)
- 3 Behind the scenes documentaries. (awesomeness at work)
- Screen Tests
- Audio Outtakes
- 2 Trailers
- DVD-ROM Content (Mostly unimportant stuff like the Josie DVD....until you hit the Storyboard part..heh heh!)
All of the above is on a single disc. (DVD-18)
Wow! This is actually the first time I have watched the movie at home (or anyone else's home) with it presented in its Original Aspect Ratio. It has also been like....ten years since I last watched it. Wonderful film!
How much? $19.99. Retail. Best Buy. Yeah...you shocked too?
Does anyone have any *complaints* about either of these movies? Well, I suppose I actually do...so let me spill it. The cases. The Superman DVD is a snapper case. (Nice black "door" on the right side) Josie is in a nice case...but I gotta take it back tomorrow because all but 2 of the center DVD hole grips are broken. Josie could have also had DVD-ROM content that was actually *worthwhile*...but with all the other stuff on the disc, I could CARE LESS.
Bottom line - Nice to see that I could pick two random movies I want to own on DVD & have the discs be this impressive! I also eyed the 2 disc Forrest Gump set after I picked up the two discs, but my wallet said "How about we stop here for now?"
:)
- Chris Kennedy
[Edited last by Chris T. Kennedy on September 09, 2001 at 05:48 AM]

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
They most enjoyable part of Josie and the Pussycats, for me, was Dujour (sp?). They should have made a Dujour movie instead! They were hilarious!
[Edited last by Mark_Wilson on September 09, 2001 at 10:11 AM]

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm just happy being able to own the film on the best format there could be ( for now at least.) The extras are a perk for me though if I really like the movie. BTW "Superman" is a great disc.
-Keith-

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
And my Superman disc is signed by the Man himself Richard Donner!!
biggrin.gif

I love that disc also BTW

Nicole P

Stunt Coordinator
Must agree, Superman is a brilliant DVD.
Superbly restored transfer and high quality extras.
Here in Region 4 it comes in a clear Amaray case with a very elegant slick - plain sliver grey with the red "S" logo, looks good.
The only thing we miss out on is the DVD-ROM content. Not that it bothers me. And it was a steal at (let me do some currency conversion here) US$14.00
Cheers,
Nicole P.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
What is truly amazing is that copious extras are almost the norm! Some DVD fans get quite upset if a DVD doesn't contain things such as trailers, commentary, etc. I have to admit that although the movie itself is what matters, I sometimes am disappointed in the lack of extras on some of my favorite discs.
It's a testament to how great the DVD format is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks