What's new

Looking for advice on a new TV: TCL 6 Series vs Vizio P Series or something else? (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fortunately I’ve had no issues with banding. I heard it was a problem with the first production run of the model I had, but that it had been sorted out by the later runs.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great deal on the TCL series 4 65”.

I haven’t looked at reviews on this one.

$520.
Plus Target is doing 10% off all TVs except Oled.
Red card holders get an additional 5% off as well.

I’ll have to research the series 4 or note that this will repeat itself in a year with another model either the 5 or 6 series?

I’m content to wait but this is a great price. I don’t know the 4 series though.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great deal on the TCL series 4 65”.

I haven’t looked at reviews on this one.

$520.
Plus Target is doing 10% off all TVs except Oled.
Red card holders get an additional 5% off as well.

I’ll have to research the series 4 or note that this will repeat itself in a year with another model either the 5 or 6 series?

I’m content to wait but this is a great price. I don’t know the 4 series though.

Found it. Basically the 4 series is a basic line. Not worth it for me, I’ll stick with the series 6.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-49s405-2017-roku-tv-review/

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just pulled the trigger on the TCL Series 6 75" model. It's on sale right now for $1500 at Best Buy right now. I was able to score 24 months interest free as well. I'm quite excited, I've had my eye on this TV for a couple of months.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn’t know they had a 75” - that should be pretty sweet! Please let us know what you think once you’ve got it all set up.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was having a bit of buyer's remorse already having read that the Vizio p75 has a better picture for $150 more. But in the end, there are more complaints about bad panels with the p75 and the Roku interface makes up for any minor improvements. I have the Vizio m65, and it has some inconsistent gray and will power down and reset a couple of times a week. It would probably piss me off to no end if the p75 did the same.

Ultimately, I was swayed by the reviews on the best buy site. The tcl received 11 out of 11 five star reviews while the Vizio didn't have the same consistency and got some one and two star ratings. Worse comes to worst, and I can pack it into my SUV and drive it back to best buy for an exchange.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
TCL just released the 75" recently, didn't they? I wasn't considering them since they didn't have one before.

I'm still waiting to see the 2019 Vizio models. Curious how much the new 75" P Quantum will cost (and there's a new "P Quantum X" model that even higher). Also curious to see if the Sony 900f will come down in price as the g models come out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Upon further review. . .the feet on the 75" TCL are 2.3" wider than my TV stand, which I don't want to replace. So much for TCL. . .

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I bought a pedestal stand for the m65 to Vesa mount it since the feet wouldn't fit on my AV center. I'm going to recycle it for my TCL assuming it doesn't constitute a tipping hazard. The stand was made for up to 65" TV's, but it seems to have the same specs and rated for more weight than one I saw on Amazon that's designed for 80" TV's Worse comes to worst, I'll order that one for $60.

Rfiver Universal Swivel TV Stand Tabletop TV Stand Base for Most 40-80 inch TVs, Height Adjustable with Tempered Glass Base and Wire Management, VESA 600x400mm, Black UT5001 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M6114YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vRSLCbKPTMAK8

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I ended up ordering the stand. Amazon is confusing because all the reviews for the various stand sizes were mixed together, and after some digging I found out the pedestal base for the 80" stand was substantially larger than my current stand.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
You can invert the feet on the 6 series. In the case of the 55" rtings.com says the footprint goes from 47.8" x 10.6 to 28.5" x 10.6".

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I changed my mind today lol.

The P75 has better color, better black and gray uniformity, and better local dimming. But the TCL has better contrast and achieves a brighter picture. So that was a push for me, probably a slight advantage for TCL.

But the P75 has a native 120hz panel, and it seemed like there were still dirty screen and vignetting issues with the TCL panels that the owners didn't think was a big deal. A certain amount of dirty screen is unavoidable/acceptable (it's a $1500 TV after all), but the vignetting was more concerning.

Since Costco had it for $1500 and Best Buy was willing to price match, I decided to switch. Another factor was the nice TCL voice control remote the reviewers liked isn't included in the Best Buy model, and that knocked down the value.

This does unfortunately delay delivery by a week, but I thought it was worth the tradeoff.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not experiencing any banding on my series 6 model either. Still very happy with the purchase!

VHS looks surprisingly decent on it!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There's still a part of me that's considering going back to the TCL :D

But I'm going to stick with the Vizio. I don't think you can go wrong with either set

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Help me Obi Wan!!

$791.84 with a special offer from target. Tax included.
Best Buy is $855 but I'd get rewards certificates using the Best Buy card.
Amazon is $809 but I have a few gift cards.... TCL 65" series 6

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks