What's new
World Wide Stereo

looking for 5.1 speakers (1 Viewer)

RoyceDB

Grip
okay, looking for a decent set of speakers for a new addition we just finished.
Guidlines:
don't have to be top of the line or anything, just some that sound good and can still kick
have to have regular wire connectors (like no RCA wires; already ran the speaker wires in the walls)
don't really want to spend more than $400

anyways, I've been working on my car audio system, so I know the general audio terms and all, but don't use to many abbreviations (spl?) or anything, as I don't know much about home audio systems.

Thanks in advance:emoji_thumbsup:

728x90

Frank.Ch

Agent
$400 is really too cheap, but if you have to stretch, go for the Athena Micra 6 system, about $500 at Best Buy.

I was going to buy that, until I heard the Klipsch Synergy speakers, and spent 3-4 times as much.

Frank.Ch

Agent
Add a Dayton sub and I guess it's a done deal.

I'm really intrigued with the Fluance package. It might just do well in the home office...

RoyceDB

Grip
no, I need some ones that mount up in corners. So, even though I like those Fluance speakers, I really don't want anything that big. For a sub, I was planning on building a Shiva if I needed to.

BTW, I love ebay, so anything there, as long as its from like a dealer, is cool.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Royce,

You need both the fronts and rears to be mounted up on the walls? If so I'd recommend taking a look at the JBL E10's. They can be had for $99.50 per pair shipped from www.bhphotovideo.com(an authborized JBL dealer). If you don't have to mount the front speakers in the corners, just the rears then I just got the E10's in the rear (which I mounted on the walls) and the E30's for the fronts, which I have sitting on stands at about the same height as the center channel. This setup sounds incredible considering I spent a total of $259.00 shipped for all 4 speakers. I watched Underworld on them last night and it was great...all the gunshots and growls and everything else sound crisp and full and I had it cranked up. www.jr.com is also an authorized dealer that has the same prices but they only have them in black. BH Photo has them in black, beech or cherry. I got the cherry and they have a beautiful finish.

EDIT: Oh yeah...I'm a big fan of the Dayton sub as well which I'm running on my system. My center channel is a BIC Venturi DV62si which sounds excellent and seems to blend pretty well with the JBL's. It's available for $99+s&h from www.acousticsounddesign.com. Although the BIC sounds great and has a lot of depth I think I'm going to sell it to my friend and get the JBL EC35 just for perfect timbre-matching.

However, you could get the JBL's mentioned above and a BIC center channel for less than $400.

brad cook

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
If anywhere was still selling the JBL NSP1II speaker package I'd recommend that.

For the sub the Dayton's hard to beat.

RoyceDB

Grip
hm, looked at those JBL E10's, and they look pretty good. Plus, the price is right.

Anybody have any opinions on these if I put it up with like a Shiva? I think a Dayton would be a little to expensive (or are they? How much is one again?).

RoyceDB

Grip
well, I found a Dayton 10" for $125, but can't post the link to parts express.

anyways, that puts me at $350 if I buy the E10's and the Dayton with shipping. Sounds good.

Anybody have anything to say about the E10's?

RoyceDB

Grip
bah, I just won't worry about it. I said 5.1 in the beginning because I was looking for a speaker package, but its cool. What it is actually for is this big room that we just built on the end of our house, and its gonna be half like a game room, half a workout area. So, just having the 4 speakers in the 4 corners would be good enough. We're gonna build the nice HT system later, this is just something that is gonna sound good and kick.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
That Athena Point 5's sounds exceptional considering it's price. I wouldn't just brush the suggestion off RoyceDB..

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
It is personal taste. For me I liked the JBL's better than the Athena's. I think JBL's are fantastic for their quality and price.

You could get the EC35 from Deal-Stop for 139 or the EC25 for 119. EC35 is a 3 way as opposed to a 2 way. The EC35 is a great center channel.

RoyceDB

Grip
I think that I will just go with the JBL's. I don't need the center channel, and it seems that I am spending the extra $100 on just that, with maybe a little more SQ to gain. Plus, this is for my parent's new room, and I think that I can talk them into the JBL's more than the Athena's.

Any suggestions/comments/whatevers are still welcome, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks