What's new

Longshot: Mordaunt vs. Axiom (1 Viewer)

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
I have the opportunity to buy either of these speakers at a very discounted price, the Mordaunt at $200 less than the Axioms.

The downside is that I cannot audition them, but for the price, I really can't complain.

I'm looking at either the M60ti or the Mordaunt 980's (http://www.mordauntshort.co.uk/products/908.html).

Either way, I want to eliminate the need for a sub. My current sub is not very musical at all. I listen to mostly music, but movies as well. I'd say 60/40. I'd rather put my money into a full-range speaker that will handle it all.

Also, I should mention my tastes. I listen to a lot of acoustic rock (Beck, Wilco, etc.), straightforward Brit-type rock (Blur, Radiohead, Beatles, The Kinks), some "indie" music (Interpol, The Walkmen, Microphones), and some classical to boot (Mozart, Rachmoninov, Bach). My tastes are varied, but I wouldn't say that all the recordings I will be listening to will be top notch. A lot are raw and vintage sounding. I've heard this can be bad with the Axioms?

Finally, my setup is an H/K Signature Series 2.0 preamp (with an annoying hiss - time to call h/k!), Parasound HCA-855 amp, and Pioneer Elite DV-45a DVD/transport.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Rob,

One of the local stores here in St. Louis that I do business with just got some of those Mordaunt 980's in last week. I happened to stop in looking for something else, but they were all hot and bothered wanting me to listen to these speakers. They had them set up in their main demo room next to some NHT T5's (which I bought last month). I had an opportunity to do some A/B between them on straight 2 channel music cd's. Of course I'm going to say that I still like my NHT's better, BUT those 980's sounded dang good! The main song that auditioned was Marc Cohn (sp?) "Walking in Memphis". The 980's sounded a little more forward and upfront than the NHT's (maybe brighter is the word I'm looking for), but sounded really good: I mean maybe just a hair or 2 brighter, not in your face brighter. I also tested out The Cult "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Fire Woman" and they did a fabulous job. If they would've had these in stock last month when I was auditioning speakers, I would've given thema serious listen. I didn't get a chance to do any movies on them, but they told me that they really shined in an movie surround sound environment. I have never had a chance to listen to Axiom's, so I cannot comment on them. Hope this helps.

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I won the pair on eBay. Only $320 for the pair! Quite the deal, I must say. I'm going to pick them up in NJ sometime this week and I'll report how they sound.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Rob,

It's tough to say. If nothing else I would give them a shot before going out and buying a dedicated sub. The website has them going down to 35Hz for bass response, which may or may not be low enough. A lot of times it's quality not quantiy here as well. My NHT's go down to 26Hz (per NHT's website), and there is 1 12" sub in each pedastel holding the monitors on top for the front L/R's. For me, I have plenty of bass. Probably more than a lot of cats out there with a fancy single sub setup, as I have 2 12" subs firing away powered by an external amp and crossover. From Mordaunt's website, their subs are listed at 255mm, which I'm not quite sure what that equals to in inches (too lazy to convert). I would try a few DVD's with some good explosions (Behind Enemy Lines, U571, Collateral Damage, etc.), and see if the bass suits you. I'm a big fan of these speakers witht he subs built in as you don't have a big box sitting in the corner of your room. Just my opinion though.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
For Music, the Shorts most likely would make you happy 90% of the time in the bass department.

~{This strickly going from their posted specifications}~!

As to the HT usage, no question it would be a case of wanting/needing to demo first.
As you stated (this is NOT an option)......

If their shown spec's are accurate and they can do a solid 35hz (not down at all in room), I can only imagine they would fall short in that department. Meaning, to much deeper bass material would be missing, (for me anyway)!
More and more film material is making use of the deeper HZ's in lowest octave.

I can only speculate that a sub most likely would be needed for the bottom end during movie material. If the price is (very very right) for the MS's maybe you might try to consider a good small sub with the savings for HT duty and music material when called for.

I know your trying to avoid that!

Room interaction and speaker placement may help that deeper bass or could also hinder it. I guess trying to do what you are now (looking for opinons and owner iformation) is your best shot at making a very tuff blind decision...
Hopefully someone will come in that actually owns them and can give you their take along with some in room lower freq measurments.

I have NOT listened to neither speaker and everthing above with the Shorts is (pure speculation) on my part. Obviously this is LESS than solid helpfull real owner information. Just my thoughts given the information you posted and whats available on the M-Shorts site.

Little help I know and wish I could give you a real owners usage take. I appoligize for that and good luck in your speaker quest, do not envey the spot your in, if this is the only choices your looking to due the excellent deals you apparently can get.

Regards
Geoff

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The axioms will also be light on bass, and both use similar aluminum midrange drivers, so sonically they will not be too dissimilar. I would say the Mordaunts will be a fine catch. I'd say you'd be happy with either, and I am fond of both brands. Both are very detailed brands, more tuned toward music (IMO). The Mordaunts just have a bit of a nicer look and feel to them than the Axioms, but it is really how they sound that matters ultimately :D

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I have the Mordaunt-Short 906, which is basically a slightly smaller version of the 908s without the powered side-firing woofer. They're hooked up to my Marantz SR6200 and sound great, but I have also heard them connected to an Anthem 200W amp, and the bass these things threw out with the more powerful amplification was amazing. The more power you give them, the more they like it. I chose them over the Paradigm Studio/60. I have not heard the 908s, but I should think they may do quite well without a separate sub.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, considering your setup will be mainly for home theatre, I cant imagine being content with either speaker (in the bass dept) without the use of a sub.

I own the M60's and find them to have good, authoritative bass on their own....but not enough to use them for home theatre without adding a sub to the setup. I suspect I would find this to be the case with the Mordaunt Short's as well.

If you are looking to avoid a sub, your might consider the M80ti instead of the M60ti. From what I have read on the Axiom forum, there are some M80 owners that are content with the bass without the use of a sub. Try the Axiom forum and see if you can get any feedback on that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks