What's new

Long John Silvers (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This may seem like an odd thread, but it was something I noticed recently and it was one of those WTF moments! So back in the day (early 80's I suppose) I remember going to a Long John Silvers with my parents and ordering my meal and asking them to put in some extra crunchies (fried batter crunchies). You know what I am talking about right? Those little bits that came off the fried battered chicken or fish? Man I loved eating those things.....

Well flash forward some 20 years later and Long John Silvers caught on and started charging $2.50 for a small bowl of crunchies. No longer can you ask for them as a free extra, they charge you for them. LOL! That just shocked me. I guess nothing is free anymore, but wow...crunchies, really?

Discuss!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Heh. Yea, maybe 5 years ago when I was last there they charged me for them. And I also remember when they were free. And when service stations started charging for compressed air, I was fairly certain nothing was going to be free for long...

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Long John Silver had an advertising campaign back in the 80s that went, "Don't forget the crumblies!" I went to a Long John's in Costa Mesa, CA, a few months ago. Asked for crumblies and got a bowl full at no extra charge.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wonder if it varies by location. I asked more recently than five years ago and wasn't charged. I don't usually bother with them, though, so I'm not sure. I do know that they no longer give you any except the few that stick to the food when they put it in the basket.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We just got our first Long John Silver's in the past year or so.

It was a KFC that burnt down and was rebuilt half KFC/half Long John Silvers.

Also our first Red Lobster about two years ago.

No comment on the cuisine, tend to avoid places like those as I mature.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
As far as fast food seafood goes I prefer Captain D's to Long John Silver's. I went there a couple of weeks ago and got plenty of "crunchies" with my fish.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Aye, but the question is exactly what are crunchies. Maybe we should just slather them onto the walls of our arteries!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks