What's new

Lock-Up (1 Viewer)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gang-Happy day after Turkey day!

Here's my dilemma-

Can't afford DSL for now,and when i'm using my dialup sever (Juno) my cursor will "freeze" during log off-completely lock up my system!!!!!

To remedy I have to manually crash my computer,and restart (which is probabely not a good thing to keep doing)?

I don't believe it's the server (Juno) as the same thing happened with dialup Earthlink-thus causing the switch to Juno.

I can't UNfreeze with CTL ALT Delete either.

To make matters worse its now starting to lockup randomly while surfing too not only during logoff!

Any ideas???

Computer is running XP Home,and it's a emachine laptop which has always worked perfectly except for this bug.

Thanks
CC Rider

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's a conflict with the modem's interupt and either another device or a cruddy BIOS. I've seen this happen on another Emachine laptop.

What happens is, you end up with a resource conflict because the winmodem seems to want to overlap with some external devices (mice are particularly popular cause, but sometimes USB anything will do it as well)

Best results: see if you get this same result with no external USB or mouse attached. If you don't freeze up, you then know it's a conflict with one of those devices. Start going one by one to figure out which one it is :)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Very interestinggggg!

I will check it out by disconnecting my external mouse etc...

Sounds like it could be as you say-

Thanks much from another Chris aka CC Rider

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Hi Chris, my computer is a 233Mgz has windoows ME , no USB for mouse connection.I do have DSL network. I had the same problem awhile back with the cursor intermittently (about 1 to 3 times a day)freezing up the system. I kept having to just reboot,ugh!!I was beginning to think somehow there were certain areas of the monitor grid causing it,lol . Finally after a couple of weeks of running spybot,ad-aware,trend micro pc-cillin, yahoo anti spy,scan disk, eventually I haven't had a freeze up for about a month. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but maybe you'll get through it. I know it's frustrating.This is a great site and there's alot of smart computer knowledged people here who are more than kind to give advice.Keep us posted. Good luck!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
That is true.. some spyware - specifically Dyufca, will mess keep a continuous trail going so that a logoff causes a winsock overflow... that will also lock you up.. Typically, that doesn't happen on WinXP/2000 machines, but often on Win9X based machines. You might get the most recent copy of ad-aware SE (1.05) updated it and give it a whirl.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
OK thanks for the tips-

So far I tried using a different USB port for my external mouse,and again a lock up aarrrrggghghhh!

Will investigate your site's to see if anything can help.

Not a major issue for now-just a bug,and I hate bugs!!!! (OCD)?

More worried that crashing my small laptop will kill my HD over time :frowning:

Thanks again.

CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks