What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Part II Matthew Wood (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've finally reached the last phase, Acceptance.
Then enjoy the inevitable added "Bantha Poodoo" scenes in future editions. ;) I'm done purchasing any more versions of the trilogy (What are these "Prequels" of which people speak?) until the originals are released in decent versions. If that is never to be, then I think that's a shame. To each his own.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
montrealfilmguy said:
I personally like Lando's narrow escape from the exploding Death star reactor.One of the very best examples of the synergy between editing,spfx,John Williams's epic score and Billy Dee Williams scream of joy as he pushes through the flames and shockwave.
Same here. I saw ROTJ on opening day in '83 (I was 12). It was the only OT film I saw on opening day, and even with all the anticipation, it met ALL of my expectations. Even today, I still love it (the '83 version). I also think it has the best music score of the 3 OT films. I don't compare it to the other 2 films- each film is different and has its own tone.

DarthYotsuya

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robin Khan
MielR said:
... each film is different and has its own tone.
That is exactly why I like the prequels. To me the OT has a similar feel to American Graffiti and Grease (two movies about the 50's shot in the 70's). There is something very 50's about the OT in how the story plays out. And for me the PT has a more classic feel. It feels more like epic movies shot in the 50's or earlier. I get a very 30's feeling from it. The stilted speech, the grand sets, the huge scope of the action. I think a lot of people don't get it because GL didn't make something more modern for the prequels, he made something more old fashioned. It is quite a contrast from the gritty and personal stories of the OT. And another thing I've noticed, studying the SW scripts, is that GL was always changing things. In TESB, Luke and Leia weren't necessarily brother and sister. In interviews he makes it sound like that was always the case and from what I've seen, it wasn't set until he found a use for it. It was in an early draft of the script, but it really didn't come back until late in ROTJ's revisions. Same with Yoda. Yoda was developed in TESB to replaced Ben. Originally Ben lived past the Death Star and trained Luke, but his death gave the part more importance and impact. And look at how what Leia said about her mother doesn't really carry through to Ep III. It can be retconned to make sense, but GL changed his mind about how to go about it. He has, since SW, been changing his mind all the time and until a film has it's final cut, he has been tinkering with it. Then every time he goes back, he tinkers some more. To him, it seems, story is more like a growing and living thing than a static fact. I think that is why he keeps changing things. It is part of what gave us the stories we love, he just has kept going and won't leave things alone. I just wish he would have serious sat down and addressed all the continuity gaffs and done a top noch job this time around and then might finally leave it be. That doesn't seem to be the case and I would bet that in a few years, we will see at least one more revision.

dargo

Grip
Real Name
Dargo
Lots of directors tinker with their films, Kevin Smith was editing and trimming cop out right till the end but at least they lock it down once the film is released. I will buy the BD of star wars and just think of it as the not quite done version. who knew there was a downside to directors owning their films.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The only way I'm buying this is if my kids beg and plead for it. The constant changing has burned me out on Star Wars, and I daresay I've actually outgrown it, which is kinda sad.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
MielR said:
Same here. I saw ROTJ on opening day in '83 (I was 12). It was the only OT film I saw on opening day, and even with all the anticipation, it met ALL of my expectations. Even today, I still love it (the '83 version). I also think it has the best music score of the 3 OT films. I don't compare it to the other 2 films- each film is different and has its own tone.
I was 2 when Jedi came out, so I've never really known Star Wars without it. Up until I was in my mid-teens, I would have said it was my favorite of the trilogy and I think almost all of my friends would have agreed. Honestly, until around 1995 or so I wasn't even aware of the general notion that it was disappointing in any ways or inferior to its predecessors in any significant way.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
To this day,i clearly remember when Return came out May 25 1983,we simply had a plan to go see it at the 9am matinee.It was a Wednesday.A schoolday. One lone guy started walking through the neighborhood and picked up 12 other buddies one by one.And we all headed downtown at the famous Imperial theater ( seating capacity of 932 at the time ) You can see from the marquee the Indy 1989 in 70mm.Also,the Imperial was the first in Canada to receive THX certification. So Return of the jedi was the very first time we were treaded to that now classic THX crescendo known as Deep note. A sound you could feel in your thoracic cavity,it left everyone's jaws on the floor,the film hadn't begun yet. I can promise you that at no time during that spring morning did the word school pop up in any of those 15 heads.They could've said we will arrest you if you go.It would have made no difference. We cheered that morning,boy did we cheer. We laughed at the delusions of grandeur joke,we cheered at the together again exchange between Luke and Han,we gawked at that metal bikini. Every action sequence was met with a resounding whoop from the audience,the barge explosion,the speeder bike chase all of it. And then this scene.We were finally going to see what Darth vader looks like under that helmet.The reveal was indeed shocking to say the least. A frail old man with a face full of burnt scars,sad puppy eyes and a warm gentle smile.And that soft voice. Now i know youve seen this a thousand times but i want you to click godammit. Please,just endulge me for 2 minutes. What makes it even sadder is the going out with a whisper feel you get from this.He tips over and he's gone. Now replace that gentleman's face and voice with a digitally old Hayden. If you don't get it now,chances are you never will. Not. Buying.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
All you folks talking about Lucas ruining your childhood. If you really wanted to go back to your childhood, you would go find a 25in Zenith, get that VCR out of mothballs and find those old pan & scan VHS tapes. That would be really going back to your childhood, or at the very least dusting off the Laserdisc player.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Actually a lot of folks are getting it wrong. As i said many times,he didnt ruin my childhood But he's most certainly ruining my adulthood. you know,the one connected to my childhood.:D

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I think you need to relax a little. You can't change whats already happened. Lucas will eventually cave (I believe) there is just too much money to be made on the original trilogy. You will get them, it's just a matter of time.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
If you knew me at all,you'd know im a very relaxed and zen kind of fella for the most part. And you'd know from reading all my posts full of smileys that i love to bring a smile to people. However...and maybe im taking it the wrong way today... someone telling me they think i should relax..simply does not relax me.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Ben, I will gladly join you in being tense about this. :) I remember when this place used to cater solely to folks who wanted the best possible home video versions of films in their original incarnations. How times have changed.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy

someone telling me they think i should relax..simply does not relax me.

Yeah, don't you hate that, it always has the opposite effect on me.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Was there/is there going to be a Part III article? It's been a couple weeks since the last two were posted.

User897

Agent
Real Name
Arthur
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about part III. While I no longer care about this BD set and the official movie releases are dead to me, I'd like to finish reading what I started.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Hold on Greg ! If youre going to inject something into me,i'll accept and sign for liquid cheeseburger (can't be worse than baconnaise can it ? )or Coke classic. For the rest,i'll have to check my Merck manual. And no Pulp fiction style either,Uma as well as John have never recovered since then.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
montrealfilmguy said:
Hold on Greg ! If youre going to inject something into me,i'll accept and sign for liquid cheeseburger (can't be worse than baconnaise can it ? )or Coke classic. For the rest,i'll have to check my Merck manual. And no Pulp fiction style either,Uma as well as John have never recovered since then.
how about a sed-a-give

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
:confused: a what ? Oh,and Star wars Just so we dont look like were hijacking the thread.:D Just kiddin,we always come back to Star wars ,who doesnt want to talk about Star wars. At least both camps agree its Star wars.And not Dude wheres my car... (when i need a comparison to bad films,i always pick this one.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
montrealfilmguy said:
Just a little pinprick. There'll be no more, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!", but you may feel a little sick.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks