What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Sony UBP-X800 freezes and locks up on Chapter 6 of Dune4K (1 Viewer)

3dbinCanada

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ted
I had to switch to the BluRay copy of the disc to finishing watching it. It stuttered on a couple of 4K releases in the past but a little rewind and play and it played through. Dune totally locks it up. Anyone else with this issue?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Try unplugging the X800 for an hour. That's the usual fix. If that doesn't work check the disc, it might be defective.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It has been noted that three-layer UHD discs (like Dune) are problematic for many UHD players. Make sure you've wiped the disc thoroughly. Even though you may not see any marks or prints, there is a manufacturing residue that can interfere with the very finicky lasers in UHD players. Wiping them with a microfiber cloth often solves this problem.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have had the Sony UBPX700 for a little over two years. About a month ago when I turned on the Dolby Vision function the player ceased working. It worked fine when it was off. All the software updates had been installed. I went so far as to buy two different new 4K players, one Panasonic and another Sony, both of which turned out to be defective. I went back to my UBPX700 and gave one more thing a try---I used the function to take everything back to factory settings. Suddenly the Dolby Vision function worked and there have been no problems since. Not sure if this would help with your X800 but you might give it a shot.

3dbinCanada

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ted
I tried wiping down both sides of the 4K disc and went to the problematic chapters and it played cleanly through, no skips, no freezes, nothing. I will watch the 4K version again tonight and see if it plays through. If it does, I will cancel the return back to Amazon and will have saved some money on a new 4K player.

Doug2000

Grip
Real Name
Doug
I'm having a freeze problem on 4K movies also. In my case I can usually get the video back on track after a few minutes of playing with the player's remote. I will try cleaning the disks - see if that helps.

Its a brand new player (LG Ultra HD UBK90) - I've only watched two movies on it - happened both times during intense scenes (deep into the movie) where, presumably, max energy is running thru the system.

Happened on Inglourious Basterds and Mission: Impossible- Rogue Nation (dont know if those are "three-layer" disks).

Could it be heat build up in the cabinet? It definitely gets a little warm in there.

The player is sitting below a 700 watt speaker amp:

img_9124-jpg.155755

Any ideas?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm having a freeze problem on 4K movies also. In my case I can usually get the video back on track after a few minutes of playing with the player's remote. I will try cleaning the disks - see if that helps.

Its a brand new player (LG Ultra HD UBK90) - I've only watched two movies on it - happened both times during intense scenes (deep into the movie) where, presumably, max energy is running thru the system.

Happened on Inglourious Basterds and Mission: Impossible- Rogue Nation (dont know if those are "three-layer" disks).

Could it be heat build up in the cabinet? It definitely gets a little warm in there.

The player is sitting below a 700 watt speaker amp:

img_9124-jpg.155755

Any ideas?
Definitely try cleaning the discs with a microfiber cloth. That looks like a Class D amp, which probably doesn’t heat up much. However, is the Marantz a receiver or preamp? Receivers tend to get very hot. If it’s a receiver, you might want an A/C Infinity cooling unit.

Doug2000

Grip
Real Name
Doug
Definitely try cleaning the discs with a microfiber cloth. That looks like a Class D amp, which probably doesn’t heat up much. However, is the Marantz a receiver or preamp? Receivers tend to get very hot. If it’s a receiver, you might want an A/C Infinity cooling unit.
Thanks.
Yes, the speaker amp is Class D. The Marantz is a preamp (AV7705).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spirittoo
Recent bookmarks