What's new

Little House on the Prairie: Pilot, Season 1, and Season 2 are all in July! (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Okay, question about an episode:

Season Two, "A Matter of Faith." It's the one where Ma's leg gets infected. Is it my imagination, or did they originally have a scene where she cuts the infection out of her leg? I know they never showed the knife going in, but didn't they originally show the knife poised at her leg, then cut away to her reaction?

On the DVD, they just have her putting the knife in the fire to disinfect it, go to commercial, then don't show her again until Charles finds her unconscious.

Has the actual scene where she cuts her leg been excised, or was it never there? I would swear I remember it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't remember that episode at all, but I do know there were some pretty abrupt commercial breaks in The Raccoon. If there was anything cut there, it was nothing major, but it did seem the score was cut off before it could reach the "commercial break" crescendo.

I'm kind of at a tough spot in my viewing right now. I just watched all of these season 1 episodes a couple of months ago. Still, once I sit down and watch them, they're enjoyable.

I watched just about the entire run of the series a year or so ago. I'm going to be covering some real familiar ground here in a bit. I think I missed most of seasons 2 and 3, though. I can't wait to see the Monster of Walnut Grove in season 3. I remember that one as being pretty funny.

Question: which episode was it where the kids were trying to catch a greased pig at a carnival? Is that the season one closer Founders' Day? Or, was it much later in the run. Also, which season had the episode where Carrie got into the hot-air balloon and was carried (heh) away?

Ben_D

Agent
I can't believe I know this information so well, and I really can't believe I'm revealing that I know this information so well, but:

The hot air balloon was in "Meet Me at the Fair" (season four). There may have also been a greased pig in there.

There was definitely a greased pig in "Wilder and Wilder" (season six). Albert won the contest.

And no, they never actually showed Ma cutting her leg, or anything more than what was shown on the DVD.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Ben. I thought I was picturing Albert, but I wasn't sure. That was a fun episode, now that I think about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten to that episode yet (though its one of my wife's favorites and she's looking forward to reaching it), but I agree with Ben that - from memory - they didn't show Caroline cutting into her leg (or even poised to do it) on the original broadcast; it was all just implied.

My recollection is that I was a Boy Scout at the time working on First Aid merit badges, and was interested in what they were about to show and then "cheated" me on it. I recall discussing that with my Dad. Now, that may have been a re-run, come to think of it, so perhaps it was edited down by that time and more was shown during the initial broadcast. I have no way of knowing.

Ben_D

Agent
For those of you who purchased the sets and were unhappy about the missing opening credits, I heard back from my contact at Imavision today. Apparently the company was unaware that the credits changed and included the episode's guest star information, and they eliminated the credits to make the "Play All" option more user-friendly (for LH marathoners, I guess). She stated they are planning to include the opening themes on future releases, and asked whether I wanted a list of guest stars for the first two seasons, or a DVD which contained all the themes. I said, personally, that although I would like such a DVD, I don't really need it and wouldn't want to cost them so much money that they are hampered in releasing seasons-yet-to-come. If future sets have the themes, I'd be happy.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update & info Ben. I find it interesting that they would burn a DVD for you personally. Hmmmm. I'll be glad to see the titles restored on future sets. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's pretty impressive of this company. Thanks for asking, Ben, as it'll be because of you that the future sets are improved.

Ben_D

Agent
I find it interesting that they would burn a DVD for you personally.
I don't think she meant they would make me a personal DVD. I think she was looking for feedback on how they should deal w/ the problem when people write to the company to complain....they were looking at their options.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for doing that, Ben. That's what we should have all done... and asked what happened to Laura taking a bath.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think fixing future releases should be enough. I hope they start with season 3. Having a recall for these first two sets would be a nightmare, I believe. I'd love to have the intros, but I'm not going to ask for it. As far as I can tell, this is a real small company releasing their first major release (outside of exercise videos and the like). I imagine it's going to be a big success for them, and something like that would be a pretty big setback.

Anyway, does anyone remember which episode features Clint churning butter? ;)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to interupt with an idiot question here, but after seeing them so cheap at DDD, I was thinking of giving the show a try (I remember maybe watching 1-2 episodes as a kid). Is buying S1 the right way to start? Is the pilot a separate purchase that should be watched before S1? Are there any other "one-offer" episodes that I should be aware of that don't show up on the season sets for some reason?

Thanks in advance!

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Jason,
Yes you should watch the Pilot first, there are references made to events that happen in the pilot, later on in the series. AFAIK, it is the only stand-alone episode that will not be a part of a season set. The other individual episodes that are out all fall within a season, and will be on the season sets.

Chris

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On the other hand, I've been a Little House fan just about all my life, and I don't think I've ever seen the pilot. I need to pick that up. But, you won't be in the dark if you jump right in with the box set.

If you are pretty confident you'll like the show, it probably would be best to watch the pilot first. And, as Chris said, it should be the only purchase you'll have to make outside of the boxes. Everything else should be included.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I watched the pilot first and I'm glad I did.

I just watched The Lord is My Shepherd pt. 1 & 2. It was incredible. I had never seen it before. Almost every show makes me cry.

I love this set.:b

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to you all for the feedback. I am going to order all of them today from DDD since they have them so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.