What's new

Little House on the Prairie: Pilot, Season 1, and Season 2 are all in July! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aryn, definately wait to get the Goldhil version of the pilot. It can't be worse than the Goodtimes presentation, and - based on S1 quality - is almost certainly better.

I would say it's NEVER okay - per HTF rules - to reveal the name of a street date breaker, before during or after.

I have my $20 back. :)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Ok thanks guys. I will try to find the pilot elsewhere tomorrow. checking deepdiscount they have it for $8 change shipped so might end up just ordering it there.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had a chance to make the rounds this week yet. Yesterday was a blistering day at work, so when I finally got done well into the dinner hour I headed straight home. I'll hit the DVD shops tonight.

Dylan Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else noticed missing sound effects from Season 1 episode 2? Example - When Mrs. Olsen claps for Nellie's essay or when everyone is leaving the schoolhouse. Could this be a mess up or maybe they were shown this way. Anyone know?

Dylan

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Dylan,

Yes, I noticed this as well. I figured that it was just an audio drop-out from the source material. Unfortunate, but not surprising from a 1974 TV series.

JKS

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Are you sure these are uncut episodes? I seem to remember shows from this period ran something like 52 minutes, but these seems to run only 46 minutes.

I too miss the opening credits. Although they look generally better than the syndicated versions, it looks to me they took older transfers and merely tried fixing them on in video. They look a bit funny to me.

Glad to have them, however.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
They definately seem to be edited abit. But i can't say for sure it's been so long since i have viewed these episodes. Right off the bat you know they have edited out the nudity of melissa gilbert taking a bath as a young kid, but thats a good thing though. on the back of the box it says unedited as they originally aired so not sure why the put that.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I don't think hour shows were ever more than 50 minutes. And keep in mind the opening credits are missing, which will take off a couple minutes.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I bought the two season sets at BB and the three "special" episodes at Media Play. By using Media Play's discount coupons I managed to get the three "special" episodes for only $.99 each. Considering these episodes are almost 30 yrs old I think they look great.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Although they look generally better than the syndicated versions, it looks to me they took older transfers and merely tried fixing them on in video.
In Town Party, Country Party, there are one or two parts where there is what looks like tape tracking problems to me. That supports your theory. That episode and the one before it--If I Should Wake Before I Die--looked much worse than any of the preceeding episodes. Fortunately, the one that followed--Ma's Holiday--looked pretty darn good.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff do you have those coupon codes?
I guess I was not clear enough when I spoke of coupons. Media Play has a type of membership club where you you receive points for each dollar you spend. Once you reach a certain point level they send you a discount coupon in multiples of $5.00. That is what I used to reduce my cost. Sorry.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Got the two box sets and the pilot today. Flipped through the "Country Girls" episode (one of my favorites for a variety of reasons, hee hee). Anyway, the picture looks quite lovely, but...

Were these released in Europe first? Because they seem like they could be PAL transfers converted to NTSC. The audio to my ears sounds a bit high in pitch, and there's that strange "shadow" effect around moving objects that plagued the Canadian version of "The Pianist," which turned out to be a PAL-NTSC conversion, though not nearly as badly.

Dave, any comments?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
The more I think about Brian's comments, I think he may have hit the nail on the head. As I questioned the running time in several earlier posts, I did some checking, and TV series in the "old" days did run longer than today's prime time programs. Uncut and non time-compressed episodes of such hour series as STAR TREK, HAWAII FIVE-O, IRONSIDE, etc., did indeed run 52 minutes and 30 minute shows ran 26 minutes. I don't know when the exact date or season that more commercials were allowed and running times were reduced, but I really think LHOTP fit into that longer running time.

And Brian's suggestion about these being PAL transfers would corroborate this as they might be complete (except for the opening), but have a shorter actual running time. And without the opening minute, it sounds about right that you would lose 5 minutes by transferring to NTSC. Does this make sense?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
And without the opening minute, it sounds about right that you would lose 5 minutes by transferring to NTSC. Does this make sense
That's another reason I wondered, John. It would explain the alleged shorter running time.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I don't know about all that. I still haven't watched farther than the first disc. Busy, you know.

I found The Pilot, Journey..., and ...Drive Away tonight at Borders. $14.99 each, plus I used that 20%-off coupon that's good for this weekend only (it's in the HTF Bargain section right now). I only snagged The Pilot, since the other two will be on the next round of season sets.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
well i finished S1 .. never expected to watch it all in less than a week but it was kinda addicting. S2 will have to wait a couple weeks though before i can find some time to dive into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.