Lining a Sub Cabinet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Keck, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I am building a ported sub. I was planning to line it with polyfil batting. Is there anything better to use? What is the best way to attach it? I have a staple gun. Thanks in advance.

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Hot glue also works well, or 3m spray adhesive( the one with the 90 in its name). Egg carton foam or acoustastuff might work better though.

I havnt heard much about hwo well dacron works, someone chime in please?

3. Steve J.

Steve J. Auditioning

Morning,
    I built a 214L Adire align ported. I asked the same questions. Responses were that the "egg crate" foam was more for standing waves and that it was not needed for the low frequencies of a sub. I also think the "fill" is for loading to make the enclosure larger in volume.

2 cents[​IMG]

Steve

4. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

did you design the ported enclosure with the lining in mind? the batting will change the volume 'seen' by the driver, so if you don't take it into account it will change the tuning of the speaker.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Lining won't make that much of a difference in perceived enclosure volume seen by the driver, and the lining is more for filtering out higher frequencies (like male vocals) that might emanate from the sub-driver while in use.