What's new

lightbox for posters? (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have plans for constructing a good movie-poster sized lightbox for illuminating 2-sided posters? If so I would be interested. Thanks

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I don't have any actual plans, but a small suggestion: I bet it would be a snap to make one if you used clear tube-style Christmas lights in the border. They last a long time and would simplify the electrical part of the construction. Good luck!

Billy D

Auditioning
I've seen some ideas on diff forums. I plan to build a pair for myself as well. It can be done for less than $100 US total. I have decided to try it the following way:
Construct a box using 1" x 4" pine with a 1/4" luan backing.
Mount a 2 bulb 36" florescent fixture in the box vertically.
Have an aluminum poster frame made at local frame shop. cheaply. Remove the cardboard backing and replace with a sheet of white plexiglass.
mount one vertical edge of the frame to the box with a hinge. Piano style possibly.
Use a latch on other side to keep frame closed over box. A magnetic type would work fine. Of course aluminum in not ferrous so you need to bond a small metal plate to the edge of frame. This type of latch is commonly used in stereo cabinet doors.
You probably will need to line the top of box where it meets poster frame with weather striping to control light leaks.
This type of setup will give you a good even bright light source. The hinge design will allow you to easily change posters in the future or gain access to the light source.
Of course you can hard wire the light to a dimmer or just a plain old light switch. If you use x-10 then you can have the boxes dim with the rest of the lights in your HT when its movie time.
I personally will be using 1"x6" and recessing the box into my wall a few inches to control the amount of box that sticks out. My boxes will be placed on the outside to either side of the entrance doors to my dedicated theater.
Good luck.
[Edited last by Billy D on July 15, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to check out what I did for my Lexiglass stained glass "poster" on my home page. (use the term loosely).
Basically had a pro make the frame at a stained glass store. Then I did a simple on wall box using 1 X 4 oak boards with corner brackets for strength, installing four mini-spot sockets and bulbs, wired it, finished it, attached it to an X10 dimmer, and whala, a custom made light box that for this piece of work, is just perfect. Investment? about 75-100 bucks in the box and frame I suppose. Though I never keep track of these things.
I use the wall behind it for illumination effect, no back to the box.
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks