What's new

LG OLED Burn In (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I have an LG 65" OLED model C7P that I bought in Feb 2018 that has bad screen burn in. I've gone thru the usual remedies, to no avail. I have contacted LG, they told me that they would do a one time free fix. I uploaded all the docs they requested, including screen shots. The tech from LG showed up today, but because I had a delivery receipt instead of the purchase receipt, he refused to do anything, and even told me that LG doesnt have any replacement panels for my tv right now anyway. The LG tech on the phone was fine with the delivery receipt, btw, and we had emailed him a copy. I don't think the tech that came out had any intention of fixing my tv, particularly when they dont have any panels to replace it with. Why he didn't call me to cancel the appointment is beyond me. OLED does have a great picture, but after this, I would never buy another one. 2 years is not long enough for a tv to be having these problems, particularly when I spent $2600 on it. I've had a previous bad experience with a Sony TV as well, (a different factory defect Sony wouldn't fix) so scratch Sony and LG off my list of products I won't purchase again. I have a smaller 55" Panasonic plasma tv from 2012 that still has a great picture. I am just as careful with that tv, and it has no screen burn in. Can anyone recommend a good LED tv from maybe Samsung? Looking for a higher end 65" tv.

That is not good customer service and not ideal advertisement for OLED TVs. I have seen other complaints from owners of other OLED TVs with screen burn-in and this TV technology has a lot of that negative connotations associated with it as a consequence of aforementioned screen burn-in.

I might look at LCD myself.

Out of curiosity, what have you used the TV for? Watching cable TV? Gaming? A bit of everything?

Did you have a high brightness setting used the whole time you have used it?

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
That is not good customer service and not ideal advertisement for OLED TVs. I have seen other complaints from owners of other OLED TVs with screen burn-in and this TV technology has a lot of that negative connotations associated with it as a consequence of aforementioned screen burn-in.

I might look at LCD myself.

Out of curiosity, what have you used the TV for? Watching cable TV? Gaming? A bit of everything?

Did you have a high brightness setting used the whole time you have used it?[/QUOTE

Mostly use the tv to watch streaming content, alot of Sling TV, alot of news channels, some gaming, and also watch blu ray and 4k discs on it. I have had the tv for 2 years now, and the burn in just occurred in the last month and a half. I used the custom or standard HDR modes on the tv, I actually adjust the mode depending on what i'm watching. The tv recognizes when HDR is being used, and switches to that mode automatically, then I customize it by setting it to "custom" for recent movies, and standard for old 3 strip Technicolor movies. I never use the bright or vivid setting.
I will say that the LG OLED tv has the best picture I've ever seen in a television. So my disappointment comes from my perfect picture tv having a major flaw. I am very careful about screen burn in, having previously owned 2 plasma tvs in the past. I will probably get an LCD next, because I don't want to be that careful about what I am watching.
If you don't watch alot of news channels and don't surf on the internet via the tv, and make sure you have a screensaver on every input that you watch, and don't freeze frame the picture alot, you would probably be ok with an OLED tv, but they are prone to screen burn in. And they do cost a lot more too.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the biggest key to preventing burn in is turning down the back light level and running the display in ISF Dark Room mode. Think 40-50 for the back light when watching non HDR content. My c8 has 4500 plus hours on it and no burn in (and I watch about 30-50% news broadcast).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks