1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

LG OLED Burn In

Discussion in 'Displays' started by rheff, Aug 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rheff

rheff Auditioning

Richard Heffernan
    LG OLED65 E6V panel (2016 build)
    I recently posted a problem I had with this screen that green horizontal bands had appeared. However, yesterday I was watching a recorded programme which was interrupted by a red screen warning that the signal had been lost. Having a totally red screen allowed me to see the shadow images I get across all inputs more clearly. It was a shadow of the Sky News banner along the bottom, an OSN (satellite feed) banner top right and a faint shadow of the OSN EPG planner superimposed on that.
    Looking on CNET I established that this was “burn in” and not “image retention”. However, they say that this occurs when a static image is left on the TV for a prolonged period. I NEVER do this and my watching habits are mixed inasmuch I variously watch content from 2 separate satellite feeds, from a Bluray player and from my computer.
    Furthermore I have “screen shift” turned on and I have used the cleaning programme to clear noise a few times.
    So the problem of “burn in” is not caused the way CNET describes and my watching habits are normal. Has anyone else experienced this? And what, if anything, can be done to rectify the issue?

2. Message #2 of 45 Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

It was well known that the “6” series was more prone to burn in

LG since changed the stack array for the models after that , removed the 3D filter ( to reduce how hard the pixels were driven ] , made the red sub pixel larger and used different OLED material since then

Eg Merck pharmaceuticals have OLED material with a million hour half life

LG has been quite reasonable about this with many owners ( as per avs and avforums ) and have usually done the right thing with regards to refunds or heavy discounts on newer models

And the newer models , if used wisely with varying content and no bright static logos, are almost impossible to destroy

Speak to LG I hope they are reasonable

Hope u get a panny GZ2000 !

Ps once u have burn in ( as opposed to image retention ) it can’t be repaired

atcolomb likes this.
  3. JWC1969

JWC1969 Extra

Jim
    Sorry about your issue. Truly a bummer. I'll say this, though: if/when you get a new OLED (and I hope you do, they're far and away the best picture), either get the TV professionally calibrated or, at minimum, whatever picture mode you use (consider ISF modes) turn the "OLED" setting down below 50, more in the 40-45 range. TVs come out of the box gunning with light, which exacerbates burn-in issues. What's more, that's not the way the director intended you to see his or her work. As a professional THX calibrator, when I set TVs for dark or light room (total light control vs. ambient light), we shoot for 35fL on the former and 45fL on the latter. Now, despite this being THX recommended, most people think this is too dark. Thus I'll often fudge the numbers to 45-50fL or 55-60 fL. Without proper measurement gear you won't be able to know exactly, but again, if you pull that OLED setting down around what I state above, you'll 1) be closer to what the director intended in terms of light output and 2) protect yourself against future burn-in. Cheers!

4. JWC1969

JWC1969 Extra

Jim
    Oops. My response to you is under your previous responder. Check it out. Sorry about that!

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Between the improved panels and turning down the output, it does appear that aging isn't much of a problem anymore. I still would never buy an OLED for a room where anything with fixed tickers or banners are watched very often.

6. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Is the Panasonic GZ2000 4K tv for sale yet?

7. JohnRice

John
    Panasonic OLEDs (or any Panasonic TVs) aren't sold in the US, are they?

8. rheff

rheff Auditioning

Richard Heffernan
    thanks for that

9. rheff

rheff Auditioning

Richard Heffernan
    Hi Willy thanks for that, even though the result is a tad disappointing!! anyway the one bright spot is your comment on the reasonableness of LG. to date I haven't found this to be the case but I am defo open to being persuaded otherwise. I cant seem to find this evidence of refunds/discounts by LG and thereby some admittance of their liability so could you please point me in the right direction. thanks Rick

10. Message #10 of 45 Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

Hello Rick

Here is an example of one owner who Lg helped with his burn in( from the master burn in thread)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2804065-master-oled-image-retention-burn-thread-photos-83.html#post56151518

.........///

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2367625-2016-lg-oled-65g6p-65e6p-owners-thread.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2277258-2016-lg-oleds-g6-e6-c6-b6.html

That’s the 2016 series owners threads : various owners have reported unexpected burn in either through frank stupidity/ abuse or logos / news banners and lg have either replaced the panel or given em a new tv. Burn in through sane viewing habits is much rarer on the newer panels

I’ve also seen in the c9 owners thread people upgraded after lg conceded the 6 series panel was prone to burn in

That’s why lg has made the red sub pixel larger

Bear in mind many reports are comin in Of people who have clocked 10,000 hours on their OLED and brightness is still more or less the same as the day they bought them

Panasonic engineering have somehow dramatically reduced banding, presumably through mura compensation . I don’t know

Many happy owners GZ2000 here in Europe https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-gz2000-oled-owners-thread.2240533/

Also available in Canada but not USA

In Australia Lg , Sony and Panasonic offer a 1 year warranty but we are protected by consumer law so if LG plays hardball they usually play nice if an expensive tv fails to live up to reasonable expectations

Your 2016 LG OLED failed through no fault of your own . Lg know that . I am hopeful they will look after you. The courts here in Australia have decreed that an expensive TV should last 5 years

11. rheff

rheff Auditioning

Richard Heffernan
    thanks Willy for taking the time and trouble to help. armed with this info I will now commence battle with LG!

12. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Well burn in has struck my LG oled 65 E6P

From Xbox of all things. Guess I’m screwed.

I had issues with this set previously (turning off and on by itself).
    LG were the absolute WORST cs people I have dealt with.

They pretty much promised me a replacement but stopping responding to my phone calls, requests and emails.

The issue thankfully resolved itself but since the set is three years old, and the last 3D set they produced, I guess I’m shit out of luck. :(

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm sorry to read that. Did you play Xbox a lot on this display?

14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That truly sucks Tino! Hopefully you can get back in touch with them and they'll take care of it. I've been lucky with burn-in on my 65E6P so far, but I'm pretty paranoid about it. I don't game on the set, so maybe that's what's saved me so far. Best of luck to you!

Tino likes this.
  15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I did and I do. Sometimes I use the Xbox for the internet and an up arrow is what has been burned in.

I Noticed it yesterday on a red screen now I can’t stop noticing it!

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I really doubt they would do anything at this point. Not covered by warranty and ...oh yeah.... LG customer service SUCKS!!!!

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Another satisfied customer of "Life's Good" service. :laugh:

Tino likes this.
  18. JohnRice

John
    I guess the upside is that torture tests of current models seem to indicate that this is as close to non-existant now as it can be. Doesn't help people with older models. It seems the 2016 models were the worst of them all.

19. revgen

revgen Screenwriter

Dan
    My 2016 E6 doesn't have any burn-in. I generally keep the OLED light at 30 and watch in a dark room.

20. rheff

rheff Auditioning

Richard Heffernan
    ive posted my burn-in issues a while ago and understand that there is no solution. however there were a couple of positive replies where it was stated that LG recognised the problem and were either providing a replacement panel or a heavily discounted newer panel. my question is - does anyone have a reliable contact at LG or proof of recompense?