What's new

Letterman Negotiates New Contract with CBS (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
If anyone is a Fan or cares...I don't watch late night Tv except for Conan...I mean is there ANYONE on who's really more entertaining than Conan ?
Here's the link...
Link Removed

MikeAW

Second Unit
Maybe the thread should have read "Letterman is finally leaving Tv, and everyone is happy" ?

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Or perhaps the thread should not have expected a response within the few hours that passed in the middle of the night (as with the other threads you bumped to the top).

I, for one, enjoy Letterman very much and will miss him if and when he does leave television.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Go Dave go! Although I think Leno has a lot of talent, his show is (appears?) way over-scripted both in the comedy bits and the interviews. Letterman's more entertaining because he's more unpredictable and willing to be abrasive, too.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Letterman IS late night tv and is in a league above the likes of Leno and Kilborn. Conan could be considered his only true contemporary. This of course is simply my opinion, though I'm seldom wrong...
Overly-confident Jimmy

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone like Craig Kilborn ?
I never liked Craig (even when he was the first host on The Daily Show, I still didn't like him). He has this "smart ass, know it all" presence that I don't like at all. I usually watch Conan at 12:35am instead of Craig.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Count me as a huge David Letterman fan. I have been a fan of his since his Late Night show started 20 years ago on NBC. Not to start a flame, but a lot of bits on Leno's show seem to have a very close resemblence to bits that have already been done on Letterman's show.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Dave is hilarious. Conan is funny too but his show isn't as funny since Andy left. The Tonight Show is just way bad. Jon Stewart is finally doing great in The Daily Show. I kind of missed Kilborn from the Daily Show cause his attitude matched the show. I haven't seen his late show.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Here's a feature on the talks...
"CBS Woos David Letterman Over New Contract
By Verne Gay
Newsday
Dave's talking.
In an effort to lock in David Letterman to a new multiyear contract, CBS has begun negotiations with the only successful late night guy in its history.
Details on the negotiations were vague-purposely so-although the spokesman for Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants, did confirm "we're talking with CBS." Report of the jump-started negotiation surfaced in Friday's edition of The Hollywood Reporter, which noted that it is "unclear" how much longer Letterman intends to remain with the show.
That is certainly true, and also appeared to be true in July 1996, or just before CBS and Letterman agreed to a three-year extension of a contract that was to have expired in 1998. That extension is up in August.
Without question, Letterman- who's celebrating his 20th year on late night TV this month on "Late Show" -has been "reinvigorated" (a favorite term that critics typically apply to him) after undergoing a quintuple bypass on Jan. 14, 2000. The show also seems to have a lock on the Emmy for outstanding variety show (five since '94) while Letterman himself seems more "at ease" (another critic's fave description) than at any time since joining CBS in 1993.
So what could derail these negotiations? Probably nothing, but Letterman will almost certainly agree to a short-term deal (two to three years), which is standard for most big stars, and also gives him flexibility in case he does
decide to bail by 2005-06."
http://www.tvspy.com/shoptalk.cfm?page=all

nousername

Supporting Actor
Dave is the BEST... He would be the only reason I'd want to go visit New York City... (Well, and also to visit Ground Zero so I can pay my respects to those who perished on 9/11/01...)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Maybe after he gets a new contract CBS will upgrade the equipment in the Ed Sullivan Theater so that Dave can be in HDTV?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
I too hope Letterman stays for a few years more, but I have to add that he nowadays comes across as a ghost of his former self:

Letterman USED to draw hilarity when he would call strange people in strange places and nobody knew who the hell they were talking to who'd be making these strange requests of them. Is anybody else bothered by those by now tedious phone calls he makes to his staff?

Letterman USED to draw hilarity from the "dangerousness" of his interview of the guests. Remember Cher and "Surly" MacLane (the channeler)? And, remember when he'd always try to get Connie Chung to say nasty things about Dan Rather on the air? That had me rolling with laughter every time. Now, he just sucks up to Rather whenever he's on. (Snore.)

To wonder:

"Is this anything?" (It NEVER is anymore.)

"Hair piece or not a hair peace?" (How many bird's nests do they think we have to see before we can recognize them instantly?)

Pretty tired unfortunately. (Dave's always loved to run even the funny stuff into the ground pretty quickly. But when it's not funny even to begin with . . . .)

The stand-up is good, and the "Top Ten", when it's on and Letterman reads it himself, is still the best.

And, somebody hit the nail on the head: Leno is stealing more and more from Letterman (the equivalent of "stupid human (or pet) tricks", even "Headlines", Jay's best regular comedy feature, is a(n admittedly improved) take-off of an old Letterman routine, no?). Jay's a far superior stand-up comedian and I think that aids his show's ratings, that's all. Also, give him credit for "Jaywalking", which can be downright hilarious and frightening at the same time ("Who's that old lady on the front of the dollar bill?")

Conan, I think, beats each of them at this stage of their respective careers and shows.

"Craig Kilborn"? Who's that? Mr.Mug-and-Smug!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks