What's new

Let's Talk Scotch / Whisky (1 Viewer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
So with the beer thread going strong, I'd like to get a little talk-on about my drink of late, Scotch. My recent purchase was a 10-year Balvenie, which I enjoy on the rocks (I know, sacrilege).

I'm a Scotch newbie, for the most part. I've really only been exposed to Dewars, Dahlwhinnie, and Chivas. I'm trying to branch out.

So... any other Scotch drinkers?

Walt N

Second Unit
I like the single malt stuff. Anything the starts with "Glen" in the name is usually good and my favorite is "The Macallan" www.macallan.com. If you've only tried blended scotches so far, try a single malt scotch and see what you think. They're very different from the usual stuff and many find them to be much smoother. The downside is that they're not cheap.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Scotch can definitely be an aquired taste and can get VERY expensive when you get more into it, but what hobby doesn't? I like the Glenlivet and Glenfiddich brands personally. Partial to the Glenfiddich Pure Malt Reserve (resonably priced at under $50) and the Glenlivet 12yr Single malt. Sampled the 21yr Glenlivet "archive" once but couldn't tear away $160 for a bottle for myself:frowning: . Checked out a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label but it was a bit over $350. Needless to say it stayed on the shelf.
Cheers!
Bill

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
The father of a friend of mine passed away about a year ago. At the wake we had bottles of Johnny Walker Blue Label. His dad had bought a bottle for all his friends plus a few for the wake.

I'm not much of a scotch drinker but JW was pretty easy to drink. I don't know if it is worth the money but it was a nice gesture.

My friend got me to buy him 12 bottles of Laphraug (sp?) because it is half the price here. I didn't try it but he said it is good.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I enjoy 18 year old The Macallan and keep a bottle around.
Saw a bottle from 1946 last year at shop in Austin. Knew it would be pricey, but I asked.
$4,000 :frowning:

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Balvenie that I picked up is a single malt. It was only about $40 but that's more than I've ever spent on Scotch.

I've tried all the Glen's as well, and loved each one. I think I need to learn a bit more in order to develop a taste, but so far so good.

Any other single malt recommendations?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Well, I've been a single malt lover for about the last seven years or so, and have tried just aboout everthing I've been able to find in the $50 range. Unfortunately that's pretty much my ceiling price. I think my favorite at this point is Laphroaig. This is pretty much my gold standard. I just love this stuff!! I've found that I like the Islay malts a bit more than the Highland malts, though not by much.
I'd like to hear some more recommendations myself.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
ah, Laphroaig. heady stuff.

for a good introduction to the ins and outs of Scotch, see if you can find a copy of Peter Mayle's book which collects his GQ essays on the little luxuries of life, "Acquired Tastes".

in one article he discusses Scotch, and finally recommends three for newbies to try: Glenfiddich, being a fairly "light" flavoured single-malt, Glenlivet (or was it Glenmorangie?), for something more "herby", and Laphroaig, being the most flavourful and "strongest" for those who want to try the Islay (i.e. little island, by the sea) type single-malts. apparently these are heavily flavoured by the presence of seaweed in the peat used to roast the mash before distillation, leading to the strong flavour.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Gotta keep the cabinet stocked, so the following are this summer's acquisitions, bought on my behalf in Edinburgh and lugged home:
The Macallan 18
Highland Park 12
Oban 14

JoshF, there's a bottle of Balvenie 10 in the cab too.

For American whiskey, the bottle is Maker's Mark.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
As far as more affordable blended varieties go, I am a Dewers man, with J & B as my second choice. As for single malts, I really enjoy Glenfiddich.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
If you're really into scotch, you should check out The Scotch Malt Whiskey Society. I've been a member for about three years now and they offer private bottlings of single barrel whiskeys from distilleries all over Scotland. Many of the barrels have even come from closed distilleries.
These scotches are all unblended and haven't even been diluted with water. Though the bottles are pricey (most are around $100), I've yet to be disappointed with a bottle. The taste consistently beats anything I've picked up in a liquor store.
That said, when I do want a scotch in a restaurant, I tend to order Lagavulin, Oban, Dalwhinnie, or Macallan, depending upon my mood.
-greg

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Laphroig 10 year-old is ambrosia! It's extremely flavorful. (Check out www.laphroig.com for in depth decriptions.) I found a bottle of the 15 year-old in a local store, but I figured my wife would shoot me if I brought home a $90 bottle! I ended up with a bottle of Lagavulin (also an Islay single malt) which was around $50. I did not like it as much as the Laphroig 10 year-old. Laphroig has a hint of salt in it that I think makes the whisky unique. A cheap way into Islay malts is McClelland's. They make a single malt for every region of Scotland, so make sure you grab the right one. McClelland's is not a stand out whisky, but at $20 a bottle you can affordably try out the characteristics of any region.
Enjoy!
Ralph
(Proud owner of a 1'x 1' square of the Laphroig Distillery!)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Just tried Oban 14 this weekend. Very nice, but I was in a smokey bar to really get an understanding of it.

So far my favorite has to be Dalwhinnie.

Chuck Schick

Stunt Coordinator
Oban 14 is my scotch of choice. Just bought a bottle for 40$ and had (several) at some clubs in Scottsdale this weekend. Most nicer clubs and restaurants will have it.

One of my favorite pubs is the Rula Bula in Tempe. I was introduced to Aberlour A'bunadh. It is great, great scotch- very mellow and flavorful. I've seen it for $60 a bottle. I highly recommend it if you're feeling rich.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
How do you experts drink your Scotch? I still like it on the rocks, but I've heard that that's a no-no in the upper echelons of Scotch drinking.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been 3 times to "Johnny Walkers, how to drink Scotch" Party. If you ever get a chance jump on it. They put out a great spread of food and all the JW you can drink. They even give you a bunch of single malts and even a shot of blue label.
What they actually say is a little hazy but I do remember they said mixing with water is the proper way to drink it.
If you go just make sure you can either taxi it or bus it.... because you will not be able to see straight!!!

JoshF

Supporting Actor
If any of you are in (or visiting) NYC, check out Bar and Books lounge on Hudson in the West Village. Not cheap, but they know how to serve a single malt.

Chuck Schick

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, scotch is a mellow, warming drink and should be enjoyed at room temperature. Some people use ice to take the alcoholic bite off the top. A little spring water gives the same effect without deadening the taste of the scotch.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I enjoy the Oban as well. Very Smooth. Also, a number of professional tasters DO recommend drinking in "on the rocks" as the mild dilution of the scotch helps to bring out the flavors and aromas. You aren't over powered by the main flavor components, or so they claim.

I prefer straight (same with Vodka), but will sample a new bottle with one on the rocks, and one straight...

BTW, does anyone remember the name of the Distillery that came across a single 50 year old barrel of scotch whiskey? Turns out that they were doing an inventory, and found a long lost Oak barrel. They decanted a number of barrels, and it is currently the most expensive Scotch whiskey. Single barrel, single malt, 50 years old...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks