What's new

Let's Talk Scotch / Whisky (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Basic rules of Scotch:

(a) the purest form of Scotch is from a single distillery, usually termed 'single malt'; this is in contrast to blended whisky, which is a blend from more than one distillery;

(b) there is nothing intrinsically superior about a single malt; a blended whisky in theory could be agreeable. However, blended whiskies tend to be mass-produced items made to a standardised recipe and thus taste like 'generic whisky'. Single malts retain an individual character.

(c) if you get really obsessional about whisky, you should seek out whisky originating from a single *cask* - you can tell the difference between the product of different casks, believe it or not. The Scotch Whisky Society mentioned above or similar will be able to help you there.

(d) whisky gets its flavour and colour as much from what it is stored in as the preparation process. Generally, whisky from the south of Scotland is prepared in old sherry and brandy casks, and tends to be darker in colour and richer tasting. Highland and island whiskies are generally lighter in colour and taste.

(e) Whisky should be watered down to at least 50 per cent (this is especially true for single cask whiskies, which tend to have a higher alcoholic content). Ice alters the relative strengths of the components. If you want to drink it like that, then fine, but you're not savouring the taste the whisky maker intended.

(f) There is no 'best' whisky - what suits one will not suit another. Personally I dislike the lowland whiskies - I think they're too 'heavy tasting', and much prefer the highland and islands ones (Highland Park is probably my favourite). However, others swear by the virtues of The Macallan.

(g) Don't get *too* swayed by the age of the whisky. After about 12 years, it's a case of diminishing returns. In other words, an older whisky will generally taste better, but whether the improvement justifies the cost is debatable.

(h) When you've finished trying Scotch whisky, have a try of Irish whiskey (not the difference in spelling) - just as respectable a pedigree, and generally smoother and more appealing.

Walt N

Second Unit
Some good points, Andrew
Drinking Scotch at full strength can overwhelm the senses and make an evaluation very difficult, so the product is generally taste tested by distillers and experts at around 20% alcohol by volume mixed with bottled or often distilled water. That's usually about 2 parts water for 1 part whisky, and the temperature of the mix is ideally around 60 degrees F. This formula is thought to be ideal for maximizing the character, flavor, and allowing the drink to "open up" while preventing the taster's nose and mouth being deadened by a full strength onslaught.
That's how the pros evalutate, however actually drinking and enjoying Scotch can be a very different and personal experience. I do like it best with a few ice cubes and a generous splash of water, but if one likes it mixed with milk and thrown in a blender with a Fudgesicle, so be it. It's your choice to make and there is no "wrong" way to drink it, although using Cola as a mixer with good Scotch will earn one all the style points of dumping Ketchup on an aged prime steak.
You lost me on the Irish Whiskey thing though. Reminds me of an unfortunate gasoline siphoning experience so I'd presume it's another taste one must independently aquire.;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
You lost me on the Irish Whiskey thing though. Reminds me of an unfortunate gasoline siphoning experience so I'd presume it's another taste one must independently aquire.
It's like Scotch - there's good whiskey and there's bad whiskey. Curiously enough, I reserve the same comments for Bourbon. ;)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Mmm.. Single Malt Scotch (insert Homer drooling sound here)
I'm also partial to Balvenie Doublewood, yum! I used to drink it neat, but now I usualy put 2 or 3 ice cubes in it and let them completely melt before I drink it.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Man, you guys are too nice. Your not even going to comment on my joking comment. (or maybe you all knew it was a joke... or hoped to god it was)

Walt N

Second Unit
Charles, I can't think of Southern Comfort without visualizing Janis Joplin holding a bottle and her being three days in any direction from having a shower. ;) I liked that stuff when I was a kid though, used to drink it and smoke Swisher Sweet cigars. Yech!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
It's like Scotch - there's good whiskey and there's bad whiskey.
Definately, though it took me awhile to figure this out. I had stayed away from whiskey because of a horrible hangover suffered in my early 20'at a X-mas party. I finally decided to buy a bottle of "good" Irish whiskey last winter and was very pleasantly suprised. I still prefer my scotch, but a good whiskey will certainly do in a pinch.:)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
So I picked up a bottle of 10 year Laphroaig last night.

WOW.

This stuff is complex, and it tastes like it was made somewhere in the vicinity of a forest fire about 100 years ago. Something about it is so rustic and yummy.

Thanks for that recommendation.

I'll continue to enjoy The Balvenie as well, of course, and plan on picking up some Oban soon.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I got my taste for single malt from my Dad...not a cheap habit; kinda like home theater!:D
I usually have a bottle of 12yr Macallan and either some Glenmorangie or Balvanie. For cheaper blends, I usually buy Dewars or Cutty Sark.
BTW, does anyone know how long an opened bottle of Scotch will keep?

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Josh,

Complex is not the word for Laphroig! The stuff almost seems to have thickness to it! I really enjoy the combination of the smoky peat and the sea salt. Laphroig claims that the high tide actually laps against the walls of the barrell house, and that imparts a seaweed flavor on the whisky.

John, an opened bottle of hard liquor should keep almost indefinitely. There might be some evaporation of the water which will only make it more potent and may make it seem like it's a little harsh.I had a few pops out of a bottle of Jack Daniels a little while ago that still said 4/5 quart on it. It was still 90 proof. Jack (Black Label) is 86 these days. This stuff had to be opened at least 12 years ago. It was at my father-in-law's house. I don't usually let a bottle sit around that long!

Ralph

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Thanks. I couldn't think of any real reason for the stuff to go bad. I usually don't keep single malts around TOO long, but last year I bought several kinds and it's taken me longer to get through it.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Complex is not the word for Laphroig! The stuff almost seems to have thickness to it! I really enjoy the combination of the smoky peat and the sea salt. Laphroig claims that the high tide actually laps against the walls of the barrell house, and that imparts a seaweed flavor on the whisky.
Interesting. I wonder if it's true. Nonetheless, I'm really impressed by the stuff. Very unique.

The strange thing is that I haven't found a single place in the area that carries anything older than 10 year Laphroaig. Not that my wallet is complaining, or anything.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I've found it only once locally in a small store known for high prices. It was $87. I've seen it on www.mail-order-liquor.com for $68.33, so I'm sure it can be found cheaper. That website also has a Laphroig 20 year old single cask for $116. I bet that's nice! Shipping was $11 for the first bottle via 4-5 day ground, then it went up slightly after that up to $32 for a case.
Anyone ever buy booze on-line?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Ralph: Thanks for the link. Looks like they have some good stuff, but no Laphroaig 12+... what's more, their price for the 10 is more than the local shops. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

DanMarquardt

Agent
I am a big scotch fan.
if you really want to expand your tastes:
it's a high end liquor store in SF. amazing place.
but they have two different clubs. one club that sticks to $50-60 a bottle (heavily discounted) and another that avg. $80-100. I've signed up for both of them!
they send you an info sheet on each bottle you get, so you can appreciate the history of each distillery and it's relationship with other labels. mostly they offer small private bottlings (think CadenHead and Murray McDavid) from smaller places.
you'll never learn more about scotch. every bottle is unique and you'd never find them at most of your local stores.
I also recommed attending a large scotch festival. there is a big one in SF every spring.
http://www.celticmalts.com/expo2003SF-home.htm
for $80 or so you'll get to try things you've never heard of. you'll get to meet the people who make the stuff. you'll get to hang out with people who appreciate that wonderful stuff as much as you do! I'll be there again for sure.
as for my fav: an 18yr old Aultmore. I've never had anything that was as smooth as that. truly amazing highland malt.
I tend to shy away from blends. I appreciate that they can always offer the same taste every bottle and every year... but I like my scotches unique! I want to do a little work to to find that special bottle that no one else has heard of.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Dan:

Thanks for the info - looks like a good source, but I can't imagine giving someone $80 a month to do with it as they please. Something about going to the store and picking out the 750ml that looks good to me and bringing it home immediately is so satisfactory.

Speaking of which, I picked up a bottle of Oban 14. It's sublime.

I now have that and a Laphroaig 10 in the cabinet. What would be a good complement to the two?

DanMarquardt

Agent
try and get a scotch or two from every region. highland, lowland, islay, etc...

that will give you a hint at the range of scotches available to you.

buy a book or two on scotch. I have one by Michael Jackson that's pretty nice. but almost any sizeable book will be able to excite your interest and educate you on the different regions.

and find a really nice high-end liquor store in your area. just like in beer or wine or even DVD's: the more you stray from the beaten path the greater your rewards. that's why I suggest the scotch of the month thingee. nothing beats letting an expert help you with a pick or two.

but if you want to stick with only the big brands: can't beat an older Macallan. say 18yrs or so. mmm tasty!

Brae

Supporting Actor
You know, I watched a show on Scotch on Fine Living (DirecTV) and the scotch that they represented as the finest on the planet I think was Bruichladdich. They went to the Bruichladdich Distillery and I learned its rare because they refuse to export it out of Scotland!
What I found real intriging was that they can commission a kask (183-185 litres, I think) for $1050. The constraints is that the kask must remain in their storage for a minimum of 10 years. After which time they can bottle it, 1 liter at a time or all of it, upon your request.
A 1-liter bottle of this stuff at 10-years old is something like $220. Now, $1050/183L = $5.74/L. So, the 10-year investment could be quite nice--provided you didn't drink it before you could sell it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks