What's new

Let's Share Some Goth (1 Viewer)

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Metallica kinda honored Killing Joke by doing an excellent cover of the song "The Wait"....

Can't wait for Bauhaus / NIN to swing by town. I haven't seen NIN since he promoted The Downward Spiral album...

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Most of the bands everyone has mentioned, while good, are not goth.

If you really want to listen to "goth" try these bands out:

early Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Sisters of Mercy
The Mission UK
Christian Death
Tones on Tail
Alien Sex Fiend
Lycia
Rosetta Stone
Swans
Black Tape For A Blue Girl

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I saw bauhaus/nin last night and they both put on very good sets although i missed the last 3 songs from bauhaus due to the freezing cold rain (we had lawn seats and had to bolt to cover).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have pretty much all of the Mission UK albums. I used to like them a lot, but now they just don't do it for me; I have a hard time getting into them when I listen now. Siouxsie I can listen to anytime. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
We chose to keep the scope broad. And I disagree, I think many of the bands listed although maybe not full "goth" per se do have some goth overtones.
Early Cult sure had some(Big Neon Glitter, She Sells...). They kind of changed their sound though from Sonic Temple on. I love that band. Ian Astbury has a tremendous voice. Love is a phenomenal album.

Aaron, The Cranes are awesome. And Robert had some great suggestions :

Swans (You like Nick Cave?)
Black Tape
Lycia

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After Robert's post, I took the opportunity to listen to some Black Tape and Sisters of Mercy, the two bands I have something by.

Yeah, it's a more broad definition we are using here. Regardless of what others might think (definitions like this are always incredibly flexible) there are a lot of bands mentioned which are distinctly (to me, anyway) Goth. I can't imagine ones like Tool and Type O Negative not being considered Goth.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely a more loose definition of "goth", but I feel most of the bands listed fit the concept of the post. The Cult is another favorite band of mine. I really liked Sonic Temple, but I'm more of a fan of their early stuff. They kind of trailed off after ST, IMO. Still putting out some decent stuff, but not with the same fervor.

Sorry, had to dig this one up to mention that the NIN/Bauhaus show was great!! I didn't realize when buying the tix that it was the last show on the tour... Lots of energy, and a very good time.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Another band that I think fits here is Saviour Machine. Yes, a christian band, but very gothic in sound.

Jason

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Along those lines, I suppose the band Iona might also fit.

Decent stuff and it's not at all obvious what their intent is, other than the titles of some of the songs.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

That's really a stretch, there. Nothing Gothic about Iona. More like Christian Celtic Rock, with some progressive elements.

Jason

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As I sit here discovering Poisonblack, I decided to resurrect this old thread.

This is some great stuff.

I still am finding I find Lacuna Coil about my fave with Within Temptation coming very close, but Poisonblack could give them a run. In the end, LC and WT seem more "musical" and I just have a thing for female vocals in metal. Cristina Scabbia and Sharon den Adel have such radically different voices, I'd love to hear them together. (no sleazy comments)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
You might want to also try a band called "The 69 Eyes" ..... They have some good stuff.. they are kind of a cross between rock and goth..

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I saw After Forever mentioned. Their 1st album (Prison of Desire) is by far my favorite of theirs. It's darker than anything else they released and it has atmosphere galore. Floor's soprano voice is so beautiful contrasted with the growls and the last song on the album has an amazing Gladiator soundtrack type sound mixed with goth metal sound to it.. can't say enough about that album.

Epica's Phantom Agony is also good, the main songwriter was originally in After Forever, so they are very similar bands.

October Rust by Type O Negative is outstanding, and so is Bloody Kisses. If you want to hear some of the lowest notes you've ever heard sung, check out the first part of the song "Nettie" on the album Life is Killing Me.

Green Carnation's 60 minute song/album is incredible I just wish there were tracks imbedded in it... does anyone know how to do that?

Last week I bought Tristania's Beyond the Veil, it's ok so far. It doesn't really compare to After Forever.

I have 3 Therion albums, but they don't have much replay value for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sheldon, I have every album you mention except Green Carnation.

In general I think I prefer World of Glass to Beyond the Veil where Tristania is concerned.

As far as defining tracks, there must be many ways to do it. With Mac, you can use CDSpinDoctor, which comes with Toast. However, discussing that process in detail is against forum rules.

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
some of the tracks by Curve (one of the most under-rated bands ever.)
This Mortal Coil
Recoil

Hilt - industrial goth (Skinny Puppy side-project)
Download - industrial goth (Skinny Puppy side-project)
Lard - fast industrial goth (classic Ministry w/ Jello Biafra)

EricB

Agent
How about some good old stuff from The Sisters of Mercy? I never get tired of listening to these guys. Their song 1959 always makes the hair at the back of my neck stand.

Check this out:

Sheldon C

Second Unit
John,

Are there other artists/albums you would recommend? So far my only albums with female vocals are After Forever, Epica, The Gathering, Nightwish (only Oceanborn) and Tristania.

Are there any dark Nightwish albums? Have you heard Within Temptation? Anything else I'm missing?

To give perspective, I'm a huge Opeth, Dream Theater, and Metallica fan (Lightning, Puppets, and Justice are my all time favorites in any genre).

As far as dividing tracks, I've tried mp3 splice and some other programs but I couldn't get any of them to work (I use a pc). I see this isn't the place for specifics on how to do that, so I'll do some homework elsewhere on that.

Oh yeah.... you have to check out the Green Carnation album it's a must have imo. Although it is one of those that I am hesitant to play because I know I'll be sucked in for the next full hour.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sheldon, the only Nightwish I have is Once, which is quite similar to Epica in that it is big and bombastic, but it is much heavier in general.

I have everything from Within Temptation and pretty much like it all, though virtually none of it is really dark. At times it is virtually inspirational, at least from the lyrics. Sharon den Adel is also at least my second favorite of the female metal vocalists. I think easily the best thing they have done is The Silent Force Tour, which is available in a 3 disc set with 2 DVDs and a CD. The Java Island concert is an all time great performance, plus they are quite a bit heavier live than in the studio. The problem is, The Silent Force Tour is only available from Europe, so you need a universal DVD player to play the DVDs. They are region free, but are PAL format.

My other fave is Lacuna Coil. Anything of theirs is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks