What's new

Lethal Weapon (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As usual I'm going against the tide and will give this show a chance before I decide to drop it.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
As usual I'm going against the tide and will give this show a chance before I decide to drop it.

That's what we all did when the series was first announced. This isn't a series like Law & Order where the police detectives and ADAs are constantly rotated out to make room for new characters. Lethal Weapon has always been about Riggs and Murtaugh and I don't know about anyone else here but seeing this series transform into a Lethal Weapon/American Pie series is just not something I'm open to.

The problem with me? I just don't like Wayans style of acting and Sean William Scott is another actor who just doesn't have the acting chops for this series. Many TV shows have been killed off simply because some executive made the decision to kill of characters that were essential to that series longevity. Lethal Weapon, The Connors, Dukes of Hazzard, The X-Files, CHiPs, Two and a Half Men, Kevin Can Wait, Laverne and Shirley ... these were all shows where one of the main characters left (in the case of Dukes, both main characters left) and the show suffered and was soon canceled because of it.

I'd give it time but the ratings should start dropping significantly by the time the winter mid-season break hits.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
When the first season premiered, it wasn't Clayne that I found to be the problem with the acting in this series, it was Wayans. His delivery, I don't know how else to say it, was too far over the top, trying to force the viewer to laugh. It was too forced and out of character for "Murtaugh". I'm a big fan of the movie franchise and I've enjoyed all four of the films. Crawford's portrayal of Riggs was the only one I thought was nearly dead on with Mel Gibson's portrayal of the character. Now that "Riggs' has been effectively removed from the Lethal Weapon series, I just don't see the series maintaining the same dynamic for fans. The series, at its core, is about Riggs and Murtaugh, not Murtaugh and "another new character".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked the first episode of the third season. I wasn't a big fan of Crawford's portrayal of Riggs so I won't miss him much. I've been a fan of Wayans for many years so I guess I'm in conflict with some others regarding him. So be it as I'm usually in conflict with other people.:) I like Sean William Scott so right now I have a good vibe with him after last night's episode.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I had my doubts about Crawford at first when the first season premiered but he did grow on me into the character of Riggs. Crawford's termination from the series was a direct result of Wayans ego, which is why I won't watch the series moving forward. I think it was the wrong move for the network to terminate Crawford from the series and from what I've seen, many agree that it was the wrong choice. If anything, the network should have fired Wayans.

For me, without Crawford as Riggs, Lethal Weapon is just another police procedural and we already have too many of those, with another one set to debut, Rookie with Nathan Fillion. This is what happens when network executives interfere with a TV show, they fired the wrong actor. LOLS. This is what happens to good TV shows gone bad. I'd be interested to see how the ratings fare on the third season moving forward. Sean William Scott is just not a very good actor. Of all of the actors to replace Crawford with, they chose this guy. LMAO

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had my doubts about Crawford at first when the first season premiered but he did grow on me into the character of Riggs. Crawford's termination from the series was a direct result of Wayans ego, which is why I won't watch the series moving forward. I think it was the wrong move for the network to terminate Crawford from the series and from what I've seen, many agree that it was the wrong choice. If anything, the network should have fired Wayans.

For me, without Crawford as Riggs, Lethal Weapon is just another police procedural and we already have too many of those, with another one set to debut, Rookie with Nathan Fillion. This is what happens when network executives interfere with a TV show, they fired the wrong actor. LOLS. This is what happens to good TV shows gone bad. I'd be interested to see how the ratings fare on the third season moving forward. Sean William Scott is just not a very good actor. Of all of the actors to replace Crawford with, they chose this guy. LMAO
If you want to blame Wayans then that's your prerogative, but Crawford had some culpability as to how his situation played out. As to your other assertions, I hope this means you're not watching Lethal Weapon going forward as why waste your time on watching a series in which you have disdain for the main two actors?

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm not saying that he wasn't at fault but Wayans ego is also a detriment to the Wayans as well. It reminds me of the whole Dwayne Johnson vs in Diesel conflict for the Fast and the Furious movies. Johnson would always show up at 5am to 5:30am to work on the film and would expect the rest of the cast to show up at the same time. Johnson forgot that he wasn't in the WWE anymore and that Diesel was in charge. Diesel wanted to take over the franchise and decided that Diesel didn't know what he was doing.

I think, in both cases, the situation got out of control and with Lethal Weapon, the network over-reacted. But, I doubt that most of the blame was on Crawford. Wayans had been trying to reboot his Hollywood career for some time now and Lethal Weapon was his opportunity. But, I do think that this is going to end up coming back around to bite Wayans and Fox Studios in the rear, especially in light of what happened after Miller and Lord were fired from the Solo movie.

What they should have done was to send Wayans and Crawford to anger management classes because after what has happened, it's undoubtedly going to cost the series a lot of fans. I remember after Christian bale's on-set meltdown on Terminator: Salvation. It changed the perception that a lot of his fans had for him after that epic meltdown rant.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
With the second season, sure am. But, that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As long as you're enjoying the current episodes, you may as well continue. There are only 13 episodes in this season.

And who knows, perhaps they'll recast Murtaugh. Though it's a Warner produced show on the Fox network, so there's little incentive for Fox to continue given the lower ratings. If it's rescued, perhaps it might move to the CW network?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As long as you're enjoying the current episodes, you may as well continue. There are only 13 episodes in this season.

And who knows, perhaps they'll recast Murtaugh. Though it's a Warner produced show on the Fox network, so there's little incentive for Fox to continue given the lower ratings. If it's rescued, perhaps it might move to the CW network?
Nope, I'm done with it as I don't watch many TV shows anyway as I rather watch movies and sports to a much lesser degree.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Personally, I've never understood the attitude of "I'm not going to watch a show because it might get cancelled."

Getting invested in a show and having it be cancelled sucks, yes, but I have never regretted time I spent watching and enjoying any show just because it got cut short.

That being said, this is an especially odd move by Wayans considering all the effort to keep this show going after last season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks