1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lethal Weapon

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, they have moved on as they didn't show any flashbacks the last couple of weeks. He's still messed up, but he's dealing with his issues.

They even moved on from Agent Palmer, who's pregnant in real life so Riggs has a new love interest.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If Riggs ever fully makes peace with his issues, the show is over.

Doug Wallen likes this.
  3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I love this show and look forward to it every week!

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    That didn't last long. Now we have flashbacks AND Daddy issues in the present day.

Thank goodness for Swoozie Kurtz. She added some much needed spark to the last episode, and I hope she sticks around for a while. It's nice to see someone messing with Riggs the same way he messes around with everyone else.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I hope they resolve the Daddy issues by the end of this season.

As to Swoozie Kurtz appearance, she has to come back on the show as she was great. Furthermore, I think Riggs needs somebody like her to help him on his alcoholic recovery. He won't go to group sessions so perhaps informal individual sessions from somebody that's been there is what's needed for him.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I'm disappointed if Ruth is gone for good. She was the best part of the last couple episodes (save maybe the back-and-forth between the Chief and the ATF special agent about which of their "guys" was nuttier).

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    If it's cancelled, I can't say I'd really miss it. Aside from the couple of episodes with Swoozie Kurtz as guest star, this season has been pretty dull.

Crawford turned down the Riggs role several times before finally signing on. I wonder if he has buyer's remorse? He's had steady acting work over the past 18 years, and I've not heard of any issues in the past. If the reports are true, there must be something going on in his personal life, or he just wants out of his contract.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm
  10. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
  11. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I'm guessing they'll just cancel this. Given the on-set drama, middling ratings, and need to recast a lead that risks alienating a portion of the already small audience, along with Fox's commitment to the NFL throughout the fall season, they are probably better off just cutting it loose.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I saw an episode of this and while it was entertaining, it did not feel like Lethal Weapon to me.

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
  15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm glad it's a new character and not a recast. Still think the show will have a tough time without Clayne Crawford as Martin Riggs. He was the best part.

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Well, I’m out. I liked the show. But this won’t be that show anymore, and I won’t support this. Not with the kind of shit Fox pulls on a regular basis. Buh-bye

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I guess I will try a couple, but maybe cancellation would have been the better option.

18. Message #78 of 164 May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I've never watched the show but have found the headlines interesting if for no other reason than replacing the lead for an established show two seasons in is certainly a drastic move, and it will be interesting to see how the audience responds to it. I assume Fox won't be happy having to sell viewers on the new version of it, so I would suspect they felt they had no choice.

Regardless of his apologies, if in fact his castmates won't speak to him, that's not a situation that is conducive to making TV. We don't know exactly what went down on that set -- we only know what other people have said publicly -- but certainly both Fox and Warner (as the producing stuido) need the production to run smoothly and effectively. If it wasn't, that needed to be addressed regardless of what fans would think of it. If the two choices were replacing him and cancelling the show, then at least replacing him maintains the jobs of everyone else who works on the show.

Cancellation would have put everyone, from the rest of the cast to the production assistants and all the rest down to the craft services people, out of work. I'm not making any comment at all on the quality of the show or what it may turn into without Crawford, but I think we can all agree that it's a good thing for the rest of the people who have been employed by this show for the last two seasons to continue having jobs.

I also wonder what kind of hit Crawford's reputation will take from this. If he really is difficult enough to work with that the studio and network took this step, who would want to work with him on other projects now? A highly-publicized exit of this nature would seem to be the ultimate bad reference to possible future employers.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    If the rumors are true they are going to make this new character a brother of Riggs how does that work? It was never shown in the flashback that he had a brother, and the half brother who shot him, well i doubt there is another out there like that.

20. Message #80 of 164 May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I'd not heard the brother rumor. I just assumed this was going to be Martin Riggs played by a different actor (like switching Darrens on Bewitched or Dumbledores in Harry Potter, which I think would be the smart thing). To try and make him a brother and somehow explain it would be too convoluted. I'm not sure Seann William Scott is the right actor for the part, but I'll give it a couple episodes to see what it's like. I'm not slavishly devoted to any actor in any role, unlike some viewers.

EDIT: I did find a couple articles that say Scott will play a "new character," so I guess they're not going to simply recast the role. Seems a little odd to me, to have a version of LW without the Martin Riggs character. I do hope he's just a completely new character/partner for Murtaugh, and they don't try and get cute by making him some long-lost relation/friend of Riggs'. Just make it a clean break, if that's the direction they want to go.

Crawford has been steadily employed for years and I'd not heard of any rumblings of difficulty until the recent blow-up. Not sure what happened here.