What's new

Last Night I bought the BTTF Box Set. (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Well, earlier in the thread I said I would be renting these DVD's. I buckled and just bought it for $50 AU, I couldn't pass it up at a price like that, its a steal. Hell that is even less than buying 2 films :) I won't have a chance to check it out until I finish work. But I'm looking forward to having a BTTF night.

Eric F

Screenwriter
BTTF has some amazing image quality considering the age of the material. I wonder where they found the print?
They also didn't lower the pitch so it sounds right with WinDVD slowdown. That's good. Is correcting the pitch a common occurance on R4 versions of US films? A topic for another list I guess. ;)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Even on software DVD playback I was also having an issue with DTS. I would have to pause the disk a few times to get it going right.
I suggest trying not to pick DTS from the start, but starting the film normally then going to the audio menu and chosing DTS. It might work. Or changing audio tracks manually if you can.
Heh. It's hard to judge videoquality when you're upscaling everything to 720p on an HDTV. Everything looks good to me.:) I'll get back to you on that.

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
all 3 of 'em :)

and I thought I'd let you know what to expect when the R1 Box Set comes out in December(?).

Part 1: picture quality is great, and I don't think they could have done a better job of presenting a film of this age. I couldn't spot any film artifacts, and the compression was top notch and without any faults. Very good colors and sharpness. Extremely pleasing to look at.
I was listening to the DTS track, and while it was very good all around (with some nice directional effects, like the clocks ticking in the openint scene) I don't think the DTS track was necessary. Nothing here that DD couldn't handle. I made a quick comparison and both sounded about the same.
I noticed that the "to be continued" at the end was missing

Part 2: slightly better picture quality here than Part 1, but only marginal. And the first one was great to begin with. Soundwise (DTS), this was the most "disappointing" of the bunch. Don't get me wrong, the sound is fine... but there's just nothing special about it. Dialogue was a bit muffled at times, but nothing too serious. Again, you won't be missing out on the DTS.
Ends with a "to be concluded" message and the preview to III, just like it was in theatres.

Part 3: this one really shines, with the best overall picture (which is funny since this was shot back-to-back with pt. II). Stunning color, amazing sharpness and an awful lot of detail in the outdoor scenes. This is among the best transfers I have seen. Same with the sound (DTS again). The best of the three, with some nice deep bass. Overall, the sound had more punch to it than in I and II. This might be the only one that benefitted from the DTS mix, though again I think DD only would have done just fine.

I haven't checked out the extensive extras yet (it's late, or shall I say early) but I'm already extremely pleased with this package. Well done, Universal!

-Mathias

Chad B.

Second Unit
I've watched BTTF 1 & 2 (R4) thus far on my Malata and they both look and sound excellent! I'm very pleased with the quality and am looking forward to watching the final part soon. :emoji_thumbsup:

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Mathias,

which version does your review refer to, i assume the R4? Whats a good source for R4 DVDs to germany, btw?

Regards
Bjoern

Eric F

Screenwriter
I agree, Pt3 looks the best by far. I also noted this was odd because 2 and 3 were shot at the same time. Maybe the extra production time had something to do with it?

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I noticed that the box set has a sticker on it saying limited 3 disc edition. What exactly do you think this means? It'll run out and they will package it differently? I'm finding it very hard to decide whether to buy this, i know its definately a bargain at around $50 for all 3, but i've seen them so many times that it doesnt feel urgent to get them now. Do you think the dvd's are worth the hype? I know the movies are good, but all in all, is the dvd quality good and the extras? Come on, give me some incentive to buy it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks