What's new

Last Night I bought the BTTF Box Set. (1 Viewer)

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well last night I went out and bought the R4 BTTF box set early.

I'm no HT aficianado (SP?) but the picture looks very good except that the night sequences in the first movie are very grainy. But as I seem to only buy recent movies on DVD I haven't had many with major flaws. My oldest movie on dvd is Jaws.

Well anyway, I hope you all like them in December when the R1 arrives.

Bye.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I had an email to say mine had shipped.

First time I've ordered from Oz, do they usually street early?

HankM

Second Unit
I got mine pre-ordered from (edited by administrator) it is in stock as of now. Hopefully it will ship soon.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
First time I've ordered from Oz, do they usually street early?
I don't usually buy R4, but I usually keep an eye out for upcoming releases and street date is very rarely broken (in my experience). LotR was very hard to find early over here, I managed to find it one day early, I didn't see any other shops selling before the 6th.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Are the movies going to be sold seperately as well or is it like the Godfather box set?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Whyis the Region 4 set already out, when the Region 1 set won't be out 'til December? You guys suck!:angry: ;)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Why is the Region 4 set already out, when the Region 1 set won't be out 'til December? You guys suck!
Terrell, just imagine what it was like for us non-R1ers in the early days of DVD when you guys got titles a year before us, with shed-loads of extras, whilst the inclusion of a trailer was considered sufficient to make a R2 release a 'special edition'.
The R2 is out in the next month or so, but I've got the R4 on order because it's a lot cheaper than the R2 version. I'm looking forward to it.
Have a nice day. :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Terrell, don't forget the R1 will have more on it (2 commentaries for each movie + more featurettes...etc). Given that they are still working on the domestic R1 release, anyone buying the R1 will be pleased as punch come December.
It's not like any of us getting the R1 have nothing to buy between now and Dec 17th now is it? :D
Dan

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The R2 is out in the next month or so
I think its now been delayed until December for the same reason as the R1 version. I came close to ordering the R4 version today but decided to wait. August has been a pretty packed DVD month for me and I'd only find myself upgrading the set in December.

Richard

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I know i'll be only renting the R4 version, just because I haven't seen them in a while and would like to see the quality of the DVD's. I'm holding out until December myself, like Dan said - its not like we don't have anything else to buy between now and Dec :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Terrell, don't forget the R1 will have more on it (2 commentaries for each movie + more featurettes...etc). Given that they are still working on the domestic R1 release, anyone buying the R1 will be pleased as punch come December.
Technically that's all still rumour, isn't it Dan? As we've seen, films can have commentaries in the adverts that never quite make it to the disc. :angry:
R1 will have more but we just don't know for sure how much more...

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Theo, no not really, they are still doing the R1 disc. Commentaries were done at UCLA for Parts 2 and 3 the same week they recorded the track for Part 1 and Bob Gale confirmed more supplements.

A lot of R2/R4 sites who drew up comparisons of the R1 vs their regions failed to realise the UCLA Q&A sessions ARE the commentary tracks. A lot of people think the sessions are video supplements, which isnt the case. Zemeckis likes the Q&A commentary approach, his one for Cast Away was carried out this way and few are none the wiser (questions and laughter from audience...etc is edited out).

The commentary for Part 1 on the R2/R4 is the first Q&A session recording, whilst the R1s of Parts 2 and 3 will play host to their respective recording sessions held at the University.

Then Bob Gale himself said he and one or two others got together for secondary commentaries for each movie that are screen specific.

It would definately seem the R2 is delayed now to Dec due to Universals fears of people importing the R1, and with that it should have most, if not all,that the R1 carries so if you want the R2, you'd probably be fine.

Dan

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Universal Germany stated last week iirc that BTTF is still slated for September in Germany.
I really don't know what to do. Australian packaging is worlds better than R1 and it's out in a couple days. I really love BTTF.
I guess I'll try to wait and rent the German R2 in September and then buy the R1 come December.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Scott_D

When you talk about the night scenes being grainy, are you talking film grain or digital grain (video noise.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
After giving it some thoughts (I finally do have a region-free all-system player now!), I decided to wait for the R1 version. Same reasons Dan listed + it's longer-and-also-lower-pitched, if you know what I mean.

Cees

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Returned froma short break to find my R4 copy on the doorstep. Had a quick look at the first movie, and I'd say the disc was good (certainly better than the recent broadcasts I've seen and definitely an improvement on VHS) if not outstanding. There's a really neat captions feature (like 'pop up video'), a good few outtakes, and generally a good package.

Carl Hood

Grip
Just bought the R4 BTTF set and am blown away by the quality! My system is front-projection onto a 150" screen, so flaws really show up. Not so with BTTF. Considering this series is now some 15 years + old, the transfer is superb. Colours are deep and rich, no annoying artifacts and great use of 5.1 DTS sound.
Strongly recommended.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Me and a friend did such a test today and we could pick the DTS track about 70% of the time.
My setup is pretty mediocre, but decent enough. DTS track definately has a better sense of stereo separation, but I find that to usually be the case on my setup
Specifically I'm using a HTPC setup. My mismatched sound components include an Onkyo TX-DS595 w/JBL 2-HLS810 fronts, 2-RCA PRO-LX550 rears and a Teac center (I'm looking for a JBL HLS Center if anyone knows where to find it:)).
It's all being fed by an EgoSys Waveterminal 192L soundcard, 6 discrete outputs, (LFE sent to the fronts). Using WinDVD4 w/PAL Truespeed to decode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks