Laserdisc Player Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tyson Burchak, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Tyson Burchak

I have a Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD player and when it comes time for the player to automatically flip a disc it doesn't always work. Nothing happens and on the top left of the TV it flashes P0. Any ideas what might be going on?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Try posting for Kurtis Bahr at AVS Forum. He seems to be there more lately. He's a pretty durn sharp repair guru. He proably can name that tune in one note...?[​IMG] It could be dirt on the bar the laser slides on, I had a player with similar symptoms once. Kurtis will know, I'm sure. Best wishes!

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Might also be a belt stuck somewhere inside. My CLD-D502's been doing this the last few times I've used it, though it's gotten next to no use at all in the past 5 years. Last year I opened it up to see if I could fix it though, and it looked like something off to the side that should rotate was stuck. I spun it by hand and that got it working again for a while.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
  5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I wish I was a 40 minute drive from Kurtis. He states that he can go in and adjust the players for better performance. I would love to have him tweak my 79, but there's no way I'm going to chance sending it by mail. You should have him tweak yours Phil and see how much better he can get the image. I'd be really curious to see how much improvment you can get.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Greg - he actually did fix it. The unit was bought from a 'Sleeze' on 'Sleeze-Bay' and came in all messed up (yes I understand about the shipping problem). I had him bring over his tweaked CLD-97 and his HLD-X9 so I could see it on my 100 inch screen. He actually told me to bring it back about some other minor problem I had (CD direct does not work properly, I can play CDs by opening the LD drawer but don't use it for CDs much - the analog outs are connected to a Carver Sonic Holographer for fun) but have not gotten to it. After seeing the differences between players on my screen and even with the small number of discs I have (130-140), I traded him my CLD-59 and some cash for a 704 I will use when I get to the basement (hopefully within a year) and I have a 64 inch TV down there waiting to be used. I compared the 704 and 79 and they were about equal - he tweaked them both. I probably should have bought it myself but a few weeks back someone was selling a CLD-97 and 238 LDs on Audiogon for $600 in the DC area. I sent Kurtis and E-Mail and I'm sure he jumped on it. I've only watched a handful of movies on my player in the last yr. and probably over the winter will catch up on the 25 or so I have not watched. Maybe then I'll get the bug and bring it over to him.