What's new

Knots Landing (1 Viewer)

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
I wonder what kind of music rights are being talked about. Julie Harris and Lisa Hartman’s singing? That’s odd.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
I wonder what kind of music rights are being talked about. Julie Harris and Lisa Hartman’s singing? That’s odd.

Lisa Hartman's two characters covered songs by Journey ("Open Arms" and "Separate Ways"), Corey Hart ("Never Surrender"), the Bee Gees ("Words"), Michael Bolton ("How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"), Dan Hartman ("I Can Dream About You"), the Supremes ("You Keep Me Hangin' On"), Pat Benatar ("We Belong"), Rick Springfield ("Hole in My Heart"), and Dobie Gray ("If Love Must Go"). Those last two covers appeared on Hartman's album, Letterock. She performed quite a few more songs beyond those, which would make things pretty expensive.

I'm unsure if all of her songs were covers. There were several I've only ever heard on the show.

The only song I recall Julie Harris singing is "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," but that one is public domain now.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Lisa Hartman's two characters covered songs by Journey ("Open Arms" and "Separate Ways"), Corey Hart ("Never Surrender"), the Bee Gees ("Words"), Michael Bolton ("How Am I Supposed to Live Without You"), Dan Hartman ("I Can Dream About You"), the Supremes ("You Keep Me Hangin' On"), Pat Benatar ("We Belong"), Rick Springfield ("Hole in My Heart"), and Dobie Gray ("If Love Must Go"). Those last two covers appeared on Hartman's album, Letterock. She performed quite a few more songs beyond those, which would make things pretty expensive.

I'm unsure if all of her songs were covers. There were several I've only ever heard on the show.

The only song I recall Julie Harris singing is "Will the Circle Be Unbroken," but that one is public domain now.

In addition to the list above of songs Lisa Hartman sang on the show (FrankPitt's post)......here are more songs she sang on the show:

"Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper song)

"Dancing In The Streets" (many artists have covered this song....it was popular in the 80's cause of Van Halen and Mick Jagger/David Bowie covered it and made the song famous again. I think the original artist/group that sang the song was Martha and the Vandellas in the early sixties).

"Love Don't Live Here Anymore" (Madonna song)

"Sometimes When We Touch" (Dan Hill song).......This song, I have to say, was beautifully done by Lisa on the show....it's one of my favorites (She sang this song when she was the "Ciji" character on the show).

"New Romance (It's A Mystery)" and "Games" were two additional songs Lisa sang on the show from her "Letterrock" album (in addition to the two songs mentioned earlier - "If Love Must Go" and "Hole In My Heart")

"Don't You Love Me Anymore" was a song from Lisa's "Hold On" album which she sang on the show (in addition to the one song mentioned earlier....the Supreme's song "You Keep Me Hanging On")

Plus I know she sang a couple of other unknown tunes (at least to me). One of them was a religious song that she sang as her character Cathy that she sang on her husband's, Joshua (played by Alec Baldwin) t.v. show. And the other was a song she sang (as the Ciji character) that was another character's song (Ginger, played by Kim Langford) that she accused Ciji of stealing.

So, yes, there were ALOT of songs on the show......but it's also been 10 years since the last release "Knots Landing" 2nd season on DVD.......WB might not have received clearances by all songs, but I would think most songs are cleared by now?

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No wonder Dallas was easier to clear. They only had one night club episode that I remember and the music was a mix of the Dallas theme song

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
Thanks Frank
Hopefully they will release seasons 3 to 7 with the songs by Lisa Hartman.
By the way, Falcon Crest has no music clearance, so come on Warner. On with the releases. MOD or not

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
WB might not have received clearances by all songs, but I would think most songs are cleared by now?

Do you think its a matter of how long it takes? Did it ever occur to you the costs involved in clearing a song and the fact that the music publisher can ask for whatever amount they choose? Or that to clear one season of a show this music heavy might cost over a million dollars or more.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In addition to the list above of songs Lisa Hartman sang on the show (FrankPitt's post)......here are more songs she sang on the show:

Plus I know she sang a couple of other unknown tunes (at least to me). One of them was a religious song that she sang as her character Cathy that she sang on her husband's, Joshua (played by Alec Baldwin) t.v. show.

I believe that song was one made popular by singer Amy Grant, called "Jehovah". Not sure, but I think that was the one. I remember being very surprised to hear the song on Knots Landing at the time.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Do you think its a matter of how long it takes? Did it ever occur to you the costs involved in clearing a song and the fact that the music publisher can ask for whatever amount they choose? Or that to clear one season of a show this music heavy might cost over a million dollars or more.

Yes Neil Brock.....I am well aware of the questions you are presenting. I did studied the music business in college and have kept up with the times on music licensing with t.v. shows.

My comment on how some music should of cleared within 10 years of Knots 2nd season release was not clear. I was referring to season 3 not being released since there was not that many songs in that season compared to Season 4-7 where Lisa Hartman sang the many popular songs that FrankPitt and I both mentioned. I thought, at least season 3 would have been released by now, since very little music was done in that season. I didn't make that clear in my comment.

As far as the heavy music costs, I have mentioned in several posts and threads on the forum before, that with "Knots Landing", the 70's and 80's rock group Journey has asked a substantial amount of money for the use of their songs. When "Knots Landing" had a reunion special back in 2005, Henry Winkler was the producer of the special. He had mentioned he had a hard time getting the rights to the Journey song "Open Arms" that Lisa Hartman sang on the show.... which held up the airing of the special. Winkler mention he had to come up with money to use that song he wanted to close the reunion special. They ended up using the song, however, when the DVD was released, they were going to use the reunion special as a bonus feature, but ended up using only a small portion of the special (interview with Ted Shakelford (who played Gary Ewing) and Joan Van Ark (Valene Ewing). Reason being they couldn't use the entire reunion special was partly due to the fact that Journey's front man, Steve Perry, who was one of the songwriters for "Open Arms" wanted too much money to use the song for the DVD release.

Sorry if my comment was a "generalization" on all the seasons, but I meant the music rights for Season 3 should have been cleared by now.......season 4-7 I know will be harder to get the DVDs released just on the Journey songs alone (both in costs and time)!!!

Last edited:

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I believe that song was one made popular by singer Amy Grant, called "Jehovah". Not sure, but I think that was the one. I remember being very surprised to hear the song on Knots Landing at the time.

Thanks Gary......I believe you are right on that name......I just couldn't remember the name of the song at the time I had made the post. Lisa sang ALOT of songs on the show.....That's when I watched the show the most.....cause I am a HUGE fan of Lisa Hartman....luv her!!! :)

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gary......I believe you are right on that name......I just couldn't remember the name of the song at the time I had made the post. Lisa sang ALOT of songs on the show.....That's when I watched the show the most.....cause I am a HUGE fan of Lisa Hartman....luv her!!! :)

Its too bad that to the best of my knowledge, she never recorded the theme from Tabitha, which she sang. Its actually the only song of hers that I've heard that I like. The rest of her recorded output is too countryish, AFAIK.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I like Lilimae’s song about the pine country. I bet that costs a ton to clear.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Its too bad that to the best of my knowledge, she never recorded the theme from Tabitha, which she sang. Its actually the only song of hers that I've heard that I like. The rest of her recorded output is too countryish, AFAIK.

Well Neil....I am assuming when your saying her music is too "countryish", you are either referring to her early work or her current music she has done with her husband, country singer, Clint Black. The in between years of her music career (much contributed to "Knots Landing") her genre of music was varied from classic rock, pop 80's rock and even disco. Here is a little breakdown of Lisa's work:

Lisa Hartman is credited for making 4 albums:

1.) "Lisa Hartman" (Debut Album) Genre: Country / Rock
Lisa's first album contain a lot more country than rock. Song highlights of this album: "Somebody Been Lovin Her", "Picking Up The Pieces", "Kentucky Rainbows", "The Ice Cream Man". Album initially released on Vinyl and cassette in 1976. In 2011, Wound Bird Records (a division on Sony Music) released the album on CD featuring 3 bonus tracks: "No One Like Loving More Than I Do (A Dreamer Of Dreams)", "100 Different Ways" (Both songs were B-sides to 45 singles released around the time of this album). The 3rd bonus featured song is the t.v. show, "Tabitha" (that Lisa also starred in) theme song "It Could Be Magic". The CD is currently out of print, however it is available on iTunes (but the bonus tracks are not available). There were no songs on this album that were featured on "Knots Landing".

2.) "Hold On" Genre: Rock Cover tunes and 70's ballads and some disco.
Now this is a great album if you like the 70's music style!!! Songs highlights of this album: "Hold On I'm Coming", "Old Time Rock and Roll", "You Keep Me Hanging On", "Don't You Love Me Anymore", "Oh Me Oh My". Album was initially released in 1979 on vinyl and cassette. In 2011, Wounded Bird Records (a division of Sony Music) released the album on CD featuring 6 Bonus tracks.....and the bonus tracks are even better than the original songs!!! Bonus Tracks Medley: "Get Ready/Gimme Some Lovin", "Then He Kissed Me", "Isn't It Love", "Slow Dancin", "Movin' Thru Me", "Don't Say No To Me Tonight", All 6 bonus songs were never released before until Wounded Bird released this CD. This CD is also currently out of print, however it is available on iTunes (but, and it's unfortunate, the bonus tracks on this album too are unavailable). Two songs from this album were featured in "Knots Landing": "You Keep Me Hanging On" and "Don't You Love Me Anymore".

3.) "Letterrock" (Due to the popularity to her character Ciji Dunne on "Knots Landing", the album was rereleased with the front and back covers of the album switch and retitled "Lisa Hartman". So there are two different versions of this album (in look of the album only....songs are the same). Genre: 80's pop rock (she sounds very much like a Pat Benetar/Patti Smyth/rock group Heart sound....with tad bit of country). Also note, the original cover pictures are featured in "Knots Landing" on the episode where Lisa's character Ciji Dunne is supposed to sing at the restaurant to promote her new album.....but she is missing (and if you don't know why she goes missing.....you will have to watch the show....no spoiler here!).There are posters of the album's cover in the restaurant where she is supposed to perform..
This album has lots of ties to "Knots Landing". 5 of the songs are featured on this album were also sung by Lisa on "Knots Landing": "If Love Must Go", "Hole In My Heart", "New Romance" (It's A Mystery), "Games" and "Hidin' From Love". There is another somewhat popular song called "Johnny's Always On My Mind". It was not sung on "Knots Landing" but is a tune that is very 80's and is often compared to Josie Cotton's song "Johnny Are You Queer?" from the movie "Valley Girl". "Miss You Like I Do" is also another very underrated track....but it's the one song that touches back to Lisa singing country. The Album was released in 1982 on both Vinyl and cassette (Letterrock) and then again (titled Lisa Hartman) in 1984. In 2011, Wounded Bird Records (a division of Sony Music) release the CD. The album contains one bonus track, which has a bit of history on it's own: "Where The Boys Are". This song Lisa sang in a movie she starred in during her time on "Knots Landing". The movie was called "Where The Boys Are '84" a revamped campier version of the original 1950's movie. Lisa starred in the movie and sang "Where the Boys Are" on the soundtrack. Soundtrack, initially released in 1984 in Vinyl and cassette contains only this song from Lisa. On the original soundtrack, there is a long instrumental ending to the song. On the bonus track of Wounded Birds' CD release of "Letterrock", the song "Where the Boys Are" has been edited down (the instrumental ending has been shortened). And unfortunate, like the 2 other albums mentioned above, the CD is currently out of print. It is available thru iTunes (and the bonus track, "Where The Boys Are" is also available).

4.) "Til My Heart Stops" Genre: Very 80's pop / rock (similar to what the rock group, Heart was doing in the 80's)
This would be Lisa's last album she recorded. She had already left "Knots Landing" by the time this album came out, so none of these songs appear in "Knots Landing. Song highlights from this album are: "Tempt Me If You Want To", "I Don't Need Love", "The Dress", "Tender Kiss", "Imagination" and "Til My Heart Stops Beating". The song "Tempt Me If You Want To" was also featured on the movie soundtrack "Navy Seals". Lisa did two music videos for this album, "Tempt Me If You Want To" and "I Don't Need Love". The album was originally released in 1987 on Atlantic records. It was out of print for awhile after it's initial release, but then rereleased around the same time the other 3 albums were released by Wound Bird Records, but this album remains as an Atlantic records release. This album is currently out of print now, but is available in iTunes and Amazon for download. No bonus tracks are on this album.

In addition to these albums, Lisa has done 4 duets with her husband, country singer, Clint Black:

1.) "When I Said I Do" (Genre: Country)
Song has been featured on many of Clint's albums. The song has won a Grammy (the only Lisa song to win one). It is featured on Clint's "D'lectrified", "Greatest Hits II" album and his "Love Songs" album. Song is available on iTunes and Amazon. Lisa and Clint also did a music video to this song as well.

2.) "Easy For Me To Say" (Genre: Country)
Song is featured on Clint Black's "Greatest Hits II" album and his "Love Songs" album. This one is my favorite duet with Lisa and Clint. Song is available on iTunes and Amazon. There is also a music video of this song (and Lisa looks beautiful in it!!!)

3.) "You Still Get To Me" (Genre: Country)
This song is featured on Clint Black's "On Purpose" album. Available on iTunes and Amazon.

4.) "The Finest Gift" (Genre: Christmas / Country)
This song is featured on Clint Black's "Christmas Collection" that was released last year (2018). It's an old song he use to sing solo, but now turned it into a duet with Lisa. It's only available on iTunes.

All other 80's song covers Lisa did on "Knots Landing" that were mentioned in prior posts on this thread, are not on CD or available on download.....they were never released other than Lisa singing the song on the show. So you won't find the Journey cover songs "Open Arms" and "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", Cyndi Lauper's cover song "Time After Time", Pat Benatar's cover song "We Belong", Madonna's cover song "Love Don't Live Here Anymore", or any other of the cover songs that Lisa did, are not available on any CD or downloadable format. Only the 2 songs mentioned from Lisa's "Hold On" album and the 5 songs mentioned from Lisa's "Letterrock" album were on "Knots Landing". Hoping maybe when Warner Brothers does decide to release the remaining seasons of "Knots Landing" on DVD, they might want to consider a bonus CD with these songs on them (not really counting on this though, considering the hard time they are just getting the music to DVD)…..but it would be nice.....especially for the fans of Lisa Hartman :)

But that's about it for Lisa's history in music in a nutshell. As you can tell....I am a HUGE fan of Lisa Hartman....and her music......LOL :)

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Or they can do the smart thing and omit a song that holds up a release. Given nothing or something, the answer is simple.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Or they can do the smart thing and omit a song that holds up a release. Given nothing or something, the answer is simple.

It's obvious-- if one specific song is holding up a great 1979-93 CBS Thursday serial from continuing with its releases, then that song should be excised!

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Keep requesting it. Go to the WB website and sent them an email or call them asking for it. The more calls/emails they get maybe they will rethink about releasing Season 3.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
If this show is every going to turn up again, it will be on Warner’s new streaming service or one one of the broadcast diginets (if it’s the latter, best to record it while it’s available). I’m sorry I don’t have a copy; it really is a solid show that is too hard to find.

Dtmh

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
If this show is every going to turn up again, it will be on Warner’s new streaming service or one one of the broadcast diginets (if it’s the latter, best to record it while it’s available). I’m sorry I don’t have a copy; it really is a solid show that is too hard to find.

I agree but If they would’ve done it right, they would’ve sold rights to a streaming platform prior/until the warner streaming service and Edited, dubbed new songs where possible. Imagine how many songs that would’ve paid for.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The 3rd bonus featured song is the t.v. show, "Tabitha" (that Lisa also starred in) theme song "It Could Be Magic".

Is there a full version of this song or is it just the one minute version used on the show?

Regarding her other albums, yeah, I like pop, like It Could Be Magic, but not a fan of the Benatar/Smythe type music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks