What's new

Knots Landing (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Neil Brock said:
I would say that at this point, fans probably should just go ahead and transfer their off-air CBS recordings to DVD.

I happy to own S1 and S2 on dvd. I have given up hope that S3 and on will be released on dvd.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wish WB would come up with a plan to release more othe series. at this point Id be willing to pay 500.00 for a complete series set if they can keep the music. and I'm not rich I just understand the release is hard for them but I'm sick of waiting

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Powell&Pressburger said:
I wish WB would come up with a plan to release more othe series. at this point Id be willing to pay 500.00 for a complete series set if they can keep the music. and I'm not rich I just understand the release is hard for them but I'm sick of waiting

Totally Agree with this comment!!! I'm in the same position (not rich)......but sick of waiting!!!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Why are they even re-releasing the first two seasons in the first place? Presumably, everyone who wants them has had them for years. Are they testing the waters for a continuation? Trying to secure a copyright?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not only should they release the rest of Knots Landing but they should also work on the rest of Falcon Crest, which was as highly rated as KL.

That is true-- Falcon Crest was as highly rated as KL. Fortunately, more of FC has been released than KL, so FC doesn't have as far to go.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Why are they even re-releasing the first two seasons in the first place? Presumably, everyone who wants them has had them for years. Are they testing the waters for a continuation? Trying to secure a copyright?

I was never a big fan of serialized shows but weren't the first 2 seasons individual story lines? I know the first season was.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic

My guess is that this year, 2019, will be "Knots Landing's" 40th Anniversary. Warner Brothers MIGHT be gearing up for more releases (or I am hoping for a "complete" set). However, this was posted on tvshowsondvd's facebook page about the re-releasing of the 2nd season on MOD:

Knots Landing - The Complete 2nd Season (Warner Archive)
$34.99 SRP DVD/MOD
http://www.amazon.com/…/o…/ASIN/B07MWR2MPT/tvshowsondvd0d-20
-----Love thy neighbor. Words to live by for Sid's sexy sister Abby Cunningham -especially with the male neighbors in her new hometown, Knots Landing. Maybe it's Abby's influence, but bed-hopping becomes the latest cul-de-sac sport. Who cheats? It's simpler to list who doesn't in the sizzling 4-disc Season 2 set of the long-running hit series. And there's a lot more excitement: J.R. and Bobby Ewing swap Texas drilling for California dreaming and visit, crooks muscle in on Gary, a hitchhiker accuses Sid of rape, armed robbers hold the cul-de-sac women hostage.and the season ends with a genuine cliff-hanger.

NOTE: this is an MOD re-release of the 2009 DVD title, which has been out-of-print for a while
FURTHER NOTE: sorry, but we have ZERO info about DVD releases (MOD or otherwise) about Seasons 3 through 14 of Knot's Landing, still unreleased on DVD; there have been no announcements regarding them from either Warner Home Video or the Warner Archive Collection. In 2011, the Warner Archive stated on Facebook that, "We'd love to release the rest of this series. The problem is that there are heavy music clearance costs involved. Our company is dedicated to resolving these long-standing music stalemates, but the process is very time-consuming. We certainly know of strong fan interest in this great series." In the 7-8 years since that was posted, we have heard nothing that indicates anything has changed. We believe the music clearance costs are continuing to hold up further new season-set releases.

So it is anyone's guess why Warner Brother's is doing this....but most likely something may be in the works for the 40th Anniversary. I also read on the "Knots Landing" forum that there was a rumor of a "Best Of" episodes that might be released to DVD So if what tvshowsondvd are saying is still going on with the music rights of the series, a "Best Of" episodes DVD set might be what Warner Brothers offers.....I hope not though.....7-8 years since the last set was released, I'm sure Warner Brothers was able to clear some music so it can at least release some of the season sets. Time will only tell.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I was never a big fan of serialized shows but weren't the first 2 seasons individual story lines? I know the first season was.

Season One was definitely "individual" story lines. Seasons two and three were partly "individual" and partly serialized. They had individual storylines that dominated the episodes, but they would insert a "subplot" storyline that was like a continuation thru-out the seasons episodes (ex: the affair between Abby and Richard in the 2nd season; and then the affair with Abby and Gary in the 3rd season)

The show started to serialized starting at season 4 with the storyline with Ciji Dunne (played by the beautiful Lisa Hartman). Ironically, I would think that the DVD releases would have stopped at the 4th season cause that is where Ciji (Lisa) sang a lot of songs …..Journey's "Open Arms" is among them. Which would explain the holdup with the music rights issue holding these DVD's being release. But for some reason Warner Brothers stop releasing the DVDs after season 2. I didn't think there was a lot of music in Season 3.....but that is where Warner Brothers stopped at. Something is holding Season 3 being released to DVD.....but not sure why.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, if we're talking the Big Four (80s prime time soaps), we were lucky to get Dynasty all the way through at all, due to low sales. Then it got stalled after Season One because the rights went from Fox to CBS or something. Weird that Fox even put out season 1 in the first place, knowing they were going to lose it. CBS/Paramount then took about 8 years to put out the remaining seasons (and we still don't have the reunion movies).

The only reason Dallas came out so fast is because they were trying to bank on the success of future "Dallas" entries (the rumor at the time was that it would become a major film starring John Travolta as JR).

Knots sold okay, but didn't set any records. They may have overestimated its popularity and over-printed. I've found it lying around on remainder tables for years and years. Maybe they stalled before season 3 because they were worried about the music starting with season 4?

Falcon Crest hardly sold at all, went MOD at season 2 and suffered from extremely poor prints. The MODs stopped with season 3 out of 9. That was six years ago and no updates from Warner Archives.

Moving on to the 90s shows, 90210 fared a lot better sales-wise, and came out in a relatively quick 4 years for 10 seasons. However, the sets were heavily panned due to massive music replacements. Right from the pilot you will notice that all the pop songs were cut or substituted. Season 5 is almost a waste on dvd--that's the year Jamie Walters starred, and, similar to Lisa Hartman, he sang in nearly every episode. The dvd kept, I think, THREE of his many songs. And he sang so much that most of his episodes clock in at 39-41 minutes. It is so bad on that dvd, that scenes would often begin on Jamie playing a final chord on his guitar and another character would say, "Oh Ray, that was a beautiful song." His fans will never know--the songs were cut. If they do continue with Knots, I hope Lisa doesn't suffer the same fate.

Melrose Place did okay at first but sales slipped. It took six years for the seven seasons to come out, and unlike 90210, they had to be cut into half-season releases starting with season 4. Why? I don't know. And like 90210, the series had major music cuts. They used to play one pop song over the opening credits each week. The dvd has library music, and nothing but substitutions in nightclub scenes, etc. But this is all financially realistic because the wisdom is that Drama tv shows do not sell as well as other genres on dvd. Maybe if Fallon had spent more time with that UFO the Dynasty dvds would have sold a little better, but...

Last edited:

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
And we could also have the complete set of Flamingo Road, which had a very strong first season. It starred Morgan Fairchild, among others.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not to sound like a broken record but this why with many shows, you will just have to settle for the videotapes that you recorded of those shows which you were big fans of and that were important to you. Get those VCRs cranking!

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
Knots Landing started getting better in its third season with Don Murray out of the way. Character building also improved with strong story lines (Gary, Valence, Abby’s love triangle among others)and a nice cliffhanger.
In Episode 17, Letting Go, Michele Lee delivers a strong performance when she finally lets go of her dead husband. The music score was very good, too. So come on, Warner, give us more great drama by giving us more KL and Falcon Crest of course.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Knots Landing started getting better in its third season with Don Murray out of the way. Character building also improved with strong story lines (Gary, Valence, Abby’s love triangle among others)and a nice cliffhanger.
In Episode 17, Letting Go, Michele Lee delivers a strong performance when she finally lets go of her dead husband. The music score was very good, too. So come on, Warner, give us more great drama by giving us more KL and Falcon Crest of course.

I see it differently and I only like the first 2 seasons WITH Don Murray and I lost interest after he left. I always liked Donna Mills but I much prefer her 70s guest starring work as well as her many TV movies. I felt she was miscast as an amoral slut.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I see it differently and I only like the first 2 seasons WITH Don Murray and I lost interest after he left. I always liked Donna Mills but I much prefer her 70s guest starring work as well as her many TV movies. I felt she was miscast as an amoral slut.

Donna Mills was the show.....she was not miscast at all!! She was not just an amoral slut....she was the male version of "J.R. Ewing"....a very powerful, classy woman who got what she wanted. But she did have a heart when it came to her kids. The episodes that dealt with her daughter's (Oliva) drug addiction problem were among some of the classic Knots Landing episodes that Donna Mills was in. Not miscast at all.....She left after season 10 (came back at the series finale), but the years she was gone (seasons 11 - 14), the show definitely lost something after she left. The show was definitely not the same.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

The show premiered a year after the last major change in the copyright law before the Mickey Mouse Copyright Extension Act of 1998, so they are in no danger of expiring. More likely this is a way of clearing unsold stock and reminding people who haven't bought it yet. It's hard for a show to accumulate new fans when only a small smattering is available anywhere.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
The show premiered a year after the last major change in the copyright law before the Mickey Mouse Copyright Extension Act of 1998, so they are in no danger of expiring. More likely this is a way of clearing unsold stock and reminding people who haven't bought it yet. It's hard for a show to accumulate new fans when only a small smattering is available anywhere.

Just an F/Y/I.....the re-releasing of Knots Landing Season 1 and 2 from Warner Archives are NOT unsold or overstock.....they are MOD releases. The retail releases for Seasons 1 and 2 have been out of print for awhile.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Good point. Maybe we will get an MOD release of season 3 later in the year. They did quite a good job with the releases of Alice.

That’s a big maybe unless a. the music rights are cleared up for KL and b. seasons 1 and 2 do really well. I’m hopeful, but not optimistic.

Oh, and for anyone interested in FC (like me) season 4 was released on iTunes, but not physical media. I’d like to think it will get a second life at some point too, but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks