Klipsch & Rear Channel Speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Today my new amp(s) come in so I can turn my Onkyo 797 into a pre/pro. I will be using a AMC 2n100-5 and a Carver AV 405 for the rears.
    My set-up by August will be.
    Mains RF-7
    Center RC-7
    Surrounds KLF-20
    Rear RC-3
    I also have a pair of RF-3's (left over after adding the RF-7's). Should I place these at the rear's or trade them in on the RF-7s and purchase one more RC-3? How much sound is actually filtered to the rear channel? I also have a room size issue as this room is 16 x 14.
    I have heard that a center channel speaker with two drivers utilize basically one driver and passively uses the second for bass. Is this also true in the rear as this is a crossover issue? If this is true I can only assume that the RF-3s would sound MUCH better. I would also consider trading the RF-3's in for the RB-5 II's as I think they sound great with a small footprint.
    Any help is appreciated[​IMG] .

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Those RC-3's may be outgunned by the much larger RF-7's. I have the RC-3 and was wondering if the RF-7's would be ok with them, but everyone has said they would over power the RC-3. A better match would be the RC-7 or an older KLF-C7.

BTW, Nice speakers!

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Thanks Cam![​IMG]
    But it has taken me years to get here.[​IMG]
    Yah, up front the RC-3 was no match for the 20's and the 7's are more outrageous.
    I was wondering how a center channel speaker works in the rear and how much power/sound is delivered to them. Like I said before I didn't know until recently that the center channel with two drivers uses one as a dominant and one as passive. I certainly do not want that behind me...or do I ?

4. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Phil,

I'm using a KLF-C7 in the rear of my all Legend set-up and it sounds great. Very detailed and plenty of volume.

IMO there isn't that much sound sent to the rear, so a good CC should have NO problem performing as a rear center.

5. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Mike,
    Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I decided to go ahead and get the RF-7's for mains and place the RF-3's in the rear(decided, not done). My reasoning is they are more responsive and I do enjoy all-channel music. I will amp these to provide more juice and the RF-3 have a wider response range.
    If I were doing only HT I would have done just that.
    Again thanks.
    Phil[​IMG]

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit