What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Brass Bottle (1964)
Starring Tony Randall, Barbara Eden, Burl Ives & Kamala Devi – Shot by Clifford Stine (Bedtime Story) – Screenplay by Oscar Brodney (Harvey) – Based on a Novel by Thomas Anstey Guthrie (One Touch of Venus) – Directed by Harry Keller (Quantez, The Female Animal).

View attachment 108020

Awesome news!!!!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 16th!

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Imogen Sara Smith
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From John Farrow, the acclaimed director of Five Came Back, Wake Island, The Big Clock, Alias Nick Beal and Hondo, comes this supernatural film noir about a tormented magician played by Hollywood great Edward G. Robinson (Scarlet Street). When heiress Jean Courtland (Gail Russell, Calcutta) attempts suicide, her fiancé Elliott Carson (John Lund, A Foreign Affair) probes her relationship to stage mentalist John Triton (Robinson). In flashback, we see how Triton starts having terrifying flashes of true precognition. His partner, Whitney Courtland (Jerome Cowan, The Maltese Falcon), uses Triton’s talent to make money; but Triton’s inability to prevent what he foresees causes him to break up the act and become a hermit. Years later, Triton has new visions and desperately tries to prevent tragedies in the Courtland family. Can his warnings succeed against suspicion, unbelief and inexorable fate? Noir stalwarts Barré Lyndon (The Lodger) and Jonathan Latimer (The Glass Key) penned the screenplay based on the novel by master of suspense Cornell Woolrich (Rear Window).

738329256609.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coming November 16th!

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Imogen Sara Smith
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From John Farrow, the acclaimed director of Five Came Back, Wake Island, The Big Clock, Alias Nick Beal and Hondo, comes this supernatural film noir about a tormented magician played by Hollywood great Edward G. Robinson (Scarlet Street). When heiress Jean Courtland (Gail Russell, Calcutta) attempts suicide, her fiancé Elliott Carson (John Lund, A Foreign Affair) probes her relationship to stage mentalist John Triton (Robinson). In flashback, we see how Triton starts having terrifying flashes of true precognition. His partner, Whitney Courtland (Jerome Cowan, The Maltese Falcon), uses Triton’s talent to make money; but Triton’s inability to prevent what he foresees causes him to break up the act and become a hermit. Years later, Triton has new visions and desperately tries to prevent tragedies in the Courtland family. Can his warnings succeed against suspicion, unbelief and inexorable fate? Noir stalwarts Barré Lyndon (The Lodger) and Jonathan Latimer (The Glass Key) penned the screenplay based on the novel by master of suspense Cornell Woolrich (Rear Window).

View attachment 110798
Kino hit the jackpot with the person who's going to do this audio commentary. Next to Eddie Muller, Imogen Sara Smith is my favorite "Noir" expert and I love reading her stuff and listening to her commentary.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 16th!

The Accused (1949)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 101 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Loretta Young (The Stranger, The Farmer’s Daughter) and Robert Cummings (The Bride Wore Boots, Dial M for Murder) star in the film noir classic The Accused, a story about one woman’s successful self-defense during a struggle which leads to the death of her attacker. Psychology professor Wilma Tuttle (Young) allows a male student of hers to drive her home. While en route, he attempts to rape her but is killed when his teacher fights back. After fleeing the scene, Wilma is overcome with feelings of guilt while following the murder investigation by Homicide Lt. Dorgan (Wendell Corey, I Walk Alone, Rear Window) and comforting her love interest Warren Ford (Cummings), who also happens to be her attacker’s guardian. Directed by William Dieterle (I’ll Be Seeing You, Portrait of Jennie) and shot by Milton R. Krasner (All About Eve, Love with the Proper Stranger), this brilliantly acted drama dives into the psyche of a woman torn apart by emotional violence.

738329256586.jpg

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Kino hit the jackpot with the person who's going to do this audio commentary. Next to Eddie Muller, Imogen Sara Smith is my favorite "Noir" expert and I love reading her stuff and listening to her commentary.
That's one of the names I look forward to seeing when I check out the commentary track. She's very good.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray November 2nd from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

Who You Think I Am
Directed by Safy Nebbou
Starring Juliette Binoche

Academy Award®-winner Juliette Binoche (The English Patient) balances cunning and vulnerability in this romantic cyber-drama turned psychological thriller from writer-director Safy Nebbou. Ghosted by her hunky twentysomething lover, Claire (Binoche), a middle-aged professor and single mom, creates a fake Facebook profile to do a little undetected online snooping. But when her 24-year-old avatar “Clara” is friended by her ex’s equally attractive roommate (François Civil), superficial correspondence quickly escalates towards intense intimacy and uncontrollable obsession. Adapted from Camille Laurens’ best-selling novel—and co-scripted by Julie Peyr, a regular collaborator of Arnaud Desplechin—Who You Think I Am blends genres and bends reality to dizzying effect.

Special features:
*The Making of Who You Think I Am
*Trailers

WhoYouThinkIAm_BD_forsocial.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray November 9th from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

White as Snow
Directed by Anne Fontaine
Starring Lou de Laâge and Isabelle Huppert

When Claire (Lou de Laâge, The Innocents), a beautiful but reserved young woman unwittingly provokes the furious jealousy of her evil stepmother Maud (Isabelle Huppert, The Piano Teacher), life as she knows it is over. Sent far away from home, Claire awakens, both figuratively and literally, in a small village in the French mountains. As if by magic, her formerly shy demeanor is gone and she is suddenly aware of her feminine power. It’s the beginning of a radical emancipation. As Claire meets the locals and starts to take joy in her sexuality, soon one, two, three... seven men fall under her charm. For the first time in her life she allows herself to indulge in no-strings sex, taking pride in belonging to no one. But then Maud arrives wanting to reconnect, and Claire must decide who to trust—her sophisticated but cold stepmother, or the circle of adoring men that now surround her.

Includes:
*Trailers
*English subtitles

WhiteAsSnow_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 16th!

Among the Living (1941)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Professor and Film Scholar Jason A. Ney
• Trailers

B&W 69 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Albert Dekker (Dr. Cyclops), Susan Hayward (Back Street), Harry Carey (The Shepherd of the Hills) and Frances Farmer (Come and Get It) star in this gripping cinematic blend of noir thrills and Southern Gothic chills. Paul Raden (Dekker) is a hopeless maniac. Twenty-five years ago, he suffered permanent brain damage trying to defend his mother from his brutal father. Paul’s last memory, before descending into the shadows of insanity, was his mother’s agonized scream. Locked away in secrecy ever since, he escapes from his prison on the night of his father’s funeral and stalks among the living. It’s up to Paul’s identical twin John (also Dekker) to put a stop to his brother’s vicious spree. Stuart Heisler (The Glass Key, Blue Skies) directed this eerie film noir with expressionistic black-and-white photography by Theodor Sparkuhl (Beau Geste, Wake Island) that perfectly complements its dark story of madness and murder.

738329256616.jpg

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Coming November 16th!

Among the Living (1941)
• Trailers

Albert Dekker (Dr. Cyclops), Susan Hayward (Back Street), Harry Carey (The Shepherd of the Hills) and Frances Farmer (Come and Get It) star in this gripping cinematic blend of noir thrills and Southern Gothic chills. Paul Raden (Dekker) is a hopeless maniac. Twenty-five years ago, he suffered permanent brain damage trying to defend his mother from his brutal father. Paul’s last memory, before descending into the shadows of insanity, was his mother’s agonized scream. Locked away in secrecy ever since, he escapes from his prison on the night of his father’s funeral and stalks among the living. It’s up to Paul’s identical twin John (also Dekker) to put a stop to his brother’s vicious spree. Stuart Heisler (The Glass Key, Blue Skies) directed this eerie film noir with expressionistic black-and-white photography by Theodor Sparkuhl (Beau Geste, Wake Island) that perfectly complements its dark story of madness and murder.

View attachment 110892

I still insist this movie should have been titled DOUBLE DEKKER.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Coming November 16th!

Among the Living (1941)
• Trailers

View attachment 110892
I very much look forward to seeing this film again. I've seen it only once and that was about forty years ago!

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray November 16th from Milestone Film and Kino Lorber!

The Mystery of Picasso (1956)
Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot
Featuring Pablo Picasso

4K restoration!

In 1955 Henri-Georges Clouzot joined forces with his friend Pablo Picasso to make an entirely new kind of documentary – one that captured the moment and the mystery of creativity. For the film, Picasso created 20 artworks, ranging from playful B&W sketches to widescreen color paintings. Using inks that bled through the paper, Picasso rapidly created fanciful drawings that Clouzot was able to film from the reverse side, capturing their creation in real time. When the artist decided to paint in oils, the filmmaker switched to color film and employed the magic of stop-motion animation. By contract, almost all of these paintings were destroyed when the film was completed. The Mystery of Picasso is exhilarating, mesmerizing, and unforgettable – one of the greatest documentaries on art ever made.

Special features:
*4K Restoration
*Audio commentary by Peggy Parsons, Head of the Film Dept. at the National Gallery of Art
*Audio commentary by Archie Rand, Muralist and Brooklyn College Presidential Professor of Art
*My Father: Maya's Gaze (an interview with Maya Picasso)
*Optional English subtitles
*Theatrical trailer

MysteryOfPicasso_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 16th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/deported-blu-ray

Deported (1950)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller
• Trailers

B&W 89 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
For one of his last Hollywood assignments, film noir master Robert Siodmak, director of The Suspect, The Spiral Staircase, The Killers, Cry of the City and Criss Cross, ventured to Italy—with legendary cinematographer William H. Daniels (The Naked City) and a script by writer/producer Robert Buckner (Bright Victory)—to film this gangster drama inspired by the deportation of real-life Mafia kingpin Lucky Luciano. Jeff Chandler (Man in the Shadow) plays Vic Smith, an American “undesirable citizen” who is shipped back to his native country of Italy. There, he gets wrapped up in a black-market ring and a romance with a beautiful widow, the virtuous Countess Christine di Lorenzi (Märta Torén, Spy Hunt), who may help put an end to Vic’s immoral ways. This riveting crime story has been one of the hardest to find of Siodmak’s American films—until now! The wonderful supporting cast includes Claude Dauphin (The Quiet American), Marina Berti (Prince of Foxes) and Richard Rober (Jet Pilot).

738329256623.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have the Region B version of 'The Mystery of Picasso' and thoroughly recommend Region A adherents to take a look at this miniature masterpiece. Clouzot, sometimes dubbed the French Master of Suspense, is probably best known for his movies Les Diaboliques and The Wages of Fear, and my favourite, Race for Life (with echoes of Tony Hancock as The Radio Ham) and in this, he develops an engrossing atmosphere as he lays bare Picasso's fecund creativity.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have the Region B version of 'The Mystery of Picasso' and thoroughly recommend Region A adherents to take a look at this miniature masterpiece. Clouzot, sometimes dubbed the French Master of Suspense, is probably best known for his movies Les Diaboliques and The Wages of Fear, and my favourite, Race for Life (with echoes of Tony Hancock as The Radio Ham) and in this, he develops an engrossing atmosphere as he lays bare Picasso's fecund creativity.
Except the more Picasso fusses with those paintings, the worse they get.

The initial drawings are wonderful. And then he ruins them, by adding runny colors, and obscuring the initial design, replacing it with something much less attractive.

What begins as pure inspiration ends up flat and lifeless.

A perfect illustration of the Beatnik axiom: "First thought, best thought."

I saw it in 35mm on a huge screen. I've never forgotten it. I don't know how it would look on my flat panel though.

Still, highly recommended for those who haven't seen it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know what you mean, Lark ... there are times I want to shout 'enough, enough!'
But the overall brilliance can't be in dispute and it's a great testimony to a genius of our time. So often derided, yet a trip to the Picasso Museum in Paris, Barcelona or Antibes (the ones I've been to) would make converts of anyone. Or should ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks