What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (30 Viewers)

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming December 14th on Blu-ray!

FILM NOIR: THE DARK SIDE OF CINEMA VOLUME 5

This collection features three film noir classics. BECAUSE OF YOU (1952) – Blonde bombshell Christine Carroll (Loretta Young) finds out too late that her fiancé is a gangster—and she’s his unwitting accessory. Emerging from prison with dark hair and an interest in nursing, she becomes a nurse’s aide in a war hospital and soon marries a battle-fatigued patient, Steve Kimberly (Jeff Chandler). Directed by Joseph Pevney (Six Bridges to Cross). OUTSIDE THE LAW (1956) – Ex-con Johnny Salvo (Ray Danton) is given the chance to redeem himself, and revenge the murder of an old Army buddy, by going undercover and helping the authorities break up a ring of international counterfeiters who will stop at nothing, including murder, to protect their operation. Directed by Jack Arnold (Man in the Shadow). THE MIDNIGHT STORY (1957) – When beloved priest Father Tomasino is murdered in a San Francisco alleyway, traffic cop Joe Martini (Tony Curtis) vows to catch the killer. Ordered off the case by homicide detective Kilrain (Ted de Corsia, The Killing), Martini turns in his badge and investigates alone. Directed by Joseph Peveny (Female on the Beach).

View attachment 111324
What a nice surprise! The Midnight Story is probably the best of these-anything with Tony Curtis usually is. In one of Leonard Maltin's older movie review books, he(or someone else who wrote the reviews) doesn't think much of the other 2 giving Outside The Law a star and a half and Because Of You 2 stars calling it trite and forgettable. Of course, those were reviews from quite some time ago. They might have better reviews now. I've never seen either one of these, but looking forward to soon. I am sure I will like them. As much as I like Maltin, I don't always agree with all of his ratings or reviews. The cast in all 3 of these look great. I believe the song "Because Of You" recorded in 1951 by Tony Bennett was the title song for this movie, which was released in 1952. It is one of my favourite Tony Bennett songs.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
what a great announcement, three titles, that never even got official North American DVD releases, only one with any kind of release is The Midnight Story with a UK DVD release way back in 2016

way to go Kino!
I read somewhere that Because Of You was released on VHS in 1998, although I don't remember that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Monday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Brand New Dolby Vision HDR Master from a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative!

Cry-Baby (1990)
Starring Johnny Depp, Amy Locane, Ricki Lake, Traci Lords, Susan Tyrrell, Polly Bergen, Iggy Pop, Kim McGuire, Troy Donahue, Joey Heatherton, Willem Dafoe & Patricia Hearst – Shot by Dave Insley (Polyester) – Written & Directed by John Waters (Pink Flamingos, Hairspray, Serial Mom).

1630940536066.png

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Brand New Dolby Vision HDR Master from a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative!

Cry-Baby (1990)
Starring Johnny Depp, Amy Locane, Ricki Lake, Traci Lords, Susan Tyrrell, Polly Bergen, Iggy Pop, Kim McGuire, Troy Donahue, Joey Heatherton, Willem Dafoe & Patricia Hearst – Shot by Dave Insley (Polyester) – Written & Directed by John Waters (Pink Flamingos, Hairspray, Serial Mom).

View attachment 111428
A fun movie...."Please Mr Jailer!"

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
What a nice surprise! The Midnight Story is probably the best of these-anything with Tony Curtis usually is. In one of Leonard Maltin's older movie review books, he(or someone else who wrote the reviews) doesn't think much of the other 2 giving Outside The Law a star and a half and Because Of You 2 stars calling it trite and forgettable. Of course, those were reviews from quite some time ago. They might have better reviews now. I've never seen either one of these, but looking forward to soon. I am sure I will like them. As much as I like Maltin, I don't always agree with all of his ratings or reviews. The cast in all 3 of these look great. I believe the song "Because Of You" recorded in 1951 by Tony Bennett was the title song for this movie, which was released in 1952. It is one of my favourite Tony Bennett songs.
Generally his reviews for vintage films don't date much. I like to go by them because my sensibilities and his mesh quite well typically, even for modern films. I've been getting heavily into noir lately and find his reviews particularly helpful when evaluating what to buy.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Generally his reviews for vintage films don't date much. I like to go by them because my sensibilities and his mesh quite well typically, even for modern films. I've been getting heavily into noir lately and find his reviews particularly helpful when evaluating what to buy.
Yes. I would think the same. A lot of times, I will go by his reviews, but not all the time. Some films I think get underrated and others over rated.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Cry-Baby (1990)

View attachment 111428
John Waters in 4K!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray November 23rd from Good Deed Entertainment and Kino Lorber!

Ma Belle, My Beauty
Directed by Marion Hill
Starring Idella Johnson and Hannah Pepper

Ma Belle, My Beauty explores the intimate re-encounter between two former lovers of a polyamorous triad. Bertie, a musician, has recently married and moved to southern France where she’s since been uninspired. Lane shows up hoping to get Bertie back in the swing of things -- but old passions and pains simmer to the surface when Lane takes interest in another woman.

Includes:
*Optional English and English SDH subtitles
*Trailers

MaBellMyBeauty_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 30th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/freud-aka-freud-the-secret-passion-blu-ray
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/freud-aka-freud-the-secret-passion-dvd

Freud (1962)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Howard Rodman
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 140 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From the legendary John Huston, the director of The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The African Queen, Moby Dick, The Misfits and Prizzi’s Honor, comes this compelling biopic starring the incomparable Montgomery Clift (Indiscretion of an American Wife) as the renowned Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud. The film follows Freud’s descent into a region almost as black as Hell itself—man’s unconscious—as he develops the notion that neurosis stems from sexual repression. By treating patients with various issues, including a woman haunted by recurring dreams (Susannah York, The Killing of Sister George) and a man with an Oedipus complex (David McCallum, The Great Escape), Freud experiences epiphanies that lead to the birth of modern analysis, despite the scorn his theories initially receive from his colleagues. Garnering Oscar nominations for its score by Jerry Goldsmith (Lonely Are the Brave) and screenplay by Charles Kaufman and Wolfgang Reinhardt (its original script was by French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre), and featuring evocative black-and-white cinematography by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Freud (also known as Freud: The Secret Passion) delivers a penetrating character study of the father of psychoanalytical psychiatry.

738329256685.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Coming November 30th!

Freud (1962)
• Theatrical Trailer

From the legendary John Huston, the director of The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The African Queen, Moby Dick, The Misfits and Prizzi’s Honor, comes this compelling biopic starring the incomparable Montgomery Clift (Indiscretion of an American Wife) as the renowned Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud. The film follows Freud’s descent into a region almost as black as Hell itself—man’s unconscious—as he develops the notion that neurosis stems from sexual repression. By treating patients with various issues, including a woman haunted by recurring dreams (Susannah York, The Killing of Sister George) and a man with an Oedipus complex (David McCallum, The Great Escape), Freud experiences epiphanies that lead to the birth of modern analysis, despite the scorn his theories initially receive from his colleagues. Garnering Oscar nominations for its score by Jerry Goldsmith (Lonely Are the Brave) and screenplay by Charles Kaufman and Wolfgang Reinhardt (its original script was by French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre), and featuring evocative black-and-white cinematography by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders of the Lost Ark), Freud (also known as Freud: The Secret Passion) delivers a penetrating character study of the father of psychoanalytical psychiatry.

View attachment 111594
As a big Clift fan since the 80's I have been waiting to see this film since the 80's.

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Coming November 30th!

Freud (1962)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 111594
Really looking forward to this. Thanks Kino!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks